Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 4

Windscreen Crack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Windscreen Crack

A stone hit the windscreen on the way home and by the time i got home, the screen had cracked nearly a 1/4rd of its length.

As it needs a genuine screen they have to order one and cant book me in until they have the screen in stock...with no idea when that will be...ignoring how annoying that is im struggling to know whats best to do.

The chip is tiny and at the drivers side left bottom - the crack has gone from edge across at low ish level (about HUD level) to close to a1/4 of the screen.

Thursday i can use the other car, Friday and Monday arent an issue - but tomorrow i need to drive.

Any thoughts? its in zone A but its a hairline crack and low down so doesnt hamper vision. My worry is it will continue to creep across the screen tomorrow when driving too.
 Mike  
Post #20741056th Aug 2019 9:44 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

It will creep eventually across the whole screen...it needs replacing as it’s not reparable once the crack starts running.... i’d have no issue driving it as far as structural integrity is concerned...the crack is only on the outer layer of glass and you’ve still got the plastic layer and the inside layer still present.

Try hitting it with a hammer and it will still bounce off....

When ordering make sure you tell them it’s got HUD...those screens have a different additional layer to them and are obviously more complex and therefore more expensive!

Post #20741116th Aug 2019 10:03 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Thanks

It lasted 90% of the journey home, but the lanes finished it - ill go a smoother way tomorrow, but im expecting the crack to continue - i would try the old superglue trick but ive not got any i can find.

The call into autowindscreens is already done - but its a genuine glass they need (i recall from last time it has to have one by default) so that's meant no idea when they will have it in let alone when they will be able to fit it!

Good shout re HUD - i did half mention it (cameras, hud etc meaning it gets a genuine screen) and the used the reg, plus it should be a genuine screen by default, but given how many times i had to repeat things, i need to check the HUD point.

3rd car within 1500 mile go a stone chip, last time no cars except the other side of the motorway - this time a car racing in front to get into the contraflow lane. Evil or Very Mad
 Mike  
Post #20741226th Aug 2019 10:26 pm
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I had mine go recently, about about 1 working days before my MOT. Rang insurance, put me through to autowindscreens who I’ve had problems with before. Told me I had to wait about 4 weeks. I laughed and said no thanks.

Rang insurance company and said they were not good enough. They put me through to another company who were excellent. Offered me a replacement in less than 24 hours, turned up with Pilkington Optikool and did an excellent job.

I would be happy to drive the car, but you should be able to get a new screen fairly quickly.

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #20741246th Aug 2019 10:29 pm
mse

Thanks i think ill drive her, dont want it to get too bad though.

You would think they could get them, but i had loads of problems last time...in fairness the screens were delivered scratched - it was so bad our local guy was convinced he was getting the same one he kept it to make sure!

I unfortunately have to use autowindscreens, its now on them to get the screen, i bet the fitting appointment will be the next problem, they cant get in at work, so it has to be at home and thats when the fun starts - i ill fall off my chair if its done this week!
 Mike  
Post #20741276th Aug 2019 10:47 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

ours went in Scotland in January...drove 600 miles home and used it for a week before replaced...its laminate so wont collapse...cracks will work to edges..whos changing it …..landrover screen fitted here was 672 pounds

Post #20741326th Aug 2019 11:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

In my experience, autowindscreens are terrible, both in customer service and the fitting. I appreciate the fitting maybe down to the guy doing the job, but the company central customer services are terrible.

Missed appointments, no communications, huge amount of my time wasted, and stupidly long lead times.

I would check with your insurance to see if they have any other approved companies. Mine did and they turned out to be very good. They were called My Car Glass.

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #20741637th Aug 2019 7:44 am
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

You may need to fight to get a proper LR screen

Post #20742267th Aug 2019 10:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

Its a proper screen by default - they dont fit pattern screens. Im currently having to wait 9 days to get it fitted, a little because they cant do the next 5 days and i have work.

its increased in size 5cm today, so it may well be the full width by the time they can fit it I believe it wont go, but would like it sorted its low but creeping up now

PS im not sure why this has moved to my d4 - its a d5 if we are going for the car model Rolling with laughter
 Mike  
Post #20744017th Aug 2019 10:29 pm
RAW

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I told my insurance Autoglass couldnt get a genuine screen quick so they agreed for it to be done by LR Dealer, i paid the £560 bill and the insurance company sent me a cheque minus the £70 excess. LR had it done within 2 days
 MY18 RRS Autobiography Fuji White
MY15 D4 silver Commercial
MY11 D4 Fuji White Landmark (Gone)
MY11 D4 Silver Commercial(Gone)
Isuzu Utah D Max(Gone)
John Deere Gator HPX
Nifty Lift HR12
Kubota KX41-2 

Post #20744027th Aug 2019 10:32 pm
mse

unfortunately its paid for, not insurance - so it has to go through autoglass...last time it was months with damaged glass - i do worry about there being a problem.

Allegedly they have the glass ready for their first appointment next week
 Mike  
Post #20744057th Aug 2019 10:41 pm
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

Just digging this back up, my screen's cracked and my insurance company have put me through to autowindscreens, they're telling me that if I want a genuine part then I need to pay the difference between a LR screen and a cheap one, bringing the bill to over £500 as opposed to just my £75 excess. I had a new screen a couple of years ago through Autoglass, and although I had a bit of faff they did use a genuine part, but the guy from autowindscreens is adamant that they won't pay for one, saying that it may well be due to the age of the car (2014) which explains why I could have a genuine one last time.

So, is he talking cr4p or has anyone else had to either settle for a cheap screen or pay for a Pilkington themselves?

Post #21031152nd Dec 2019 4:38 pm
Washwipe

England 

You may have a fight on your hands, there is a thought that the none genuine screens effect the sensors for the heating. There is a tread on here were a member had issues with the heating along the lines of the fans running flat out since a non Gen screen fitted, genuine one and the issues was resolved.

Post #21031522nd Dec 2019 6:38 pm
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

Yeah as per my post I'm fully aware of the issues with non-genuine screens, there's plenty of info on here about problems with them which is why I went through the hassle to ensure I had a genuine one last time - i'm asking if anyone else has had a problem with being flat refused a genuine item by autowindows recently due to the age of the vehicle?

Post #21031572nd Dec 2019 6:41 pm
Washwipe

England 

Could give this a try, snippet of KTM Gordo’s post.

KTM Gordo wrote:

I was wary of having a generic windscreen instead of one from the OE manufacturer, knowing that the Optikool coating is patented

Unfortunately I needed the car, and having not been able to use it with the broken screen, I was not really in a position to argue at the time - with hindsight I should have walked away.

The screen was OK optically, although there was an alignment mark of sorts right in the driver's eyeline, but I suspected that it didn't have the same UV properties at the original.

Fortunately it coincided with the warm spell in February, and in the sun, with the air con set to 20C, it would not shut down, indicating that the solar sensor was getting too much thermal energy...

Now that I've got a Pilkington screen back in, the air con isn't working as hard despite the higher temperatures, confirming my suspicion that the Chinese screen wasn't to the same spec. as the original.

5th post down.

https://www.disco4.com/forum/post2098306.html#2098306

Post #21031612nd Dec 2019 6:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >