Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

"Land Rover" insurance irresponsible behaviour
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Reginald Molehusband

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4
"Land Rover" insurance irresponsible behaviour

I just renewed my insurance with "Land Rover" insurance for the fourth year, I've made no new mods to the vehicle but I would have been uninsured had I not queried the facts.

Their statement of facts still didn't include the winch and some minor issues so I phoned them to confirm, only to find out that they have changed underwriters from Zenith who would cover winches to Allianz who will not cover winches, and that the insurance they had sold me was not worth the email it was sent by. They are giving a full refund without the usual admin deduction due to their incompetence. Note that they are nothing to do with Land Rover but it is a trading name of Original Insurance Services Ltd.

So beware renewals with familiar insurance traders, assume nothing.

I have now insured with Adrian Flux who promises to cover everything including greenlaning, off road training days, 4x4 Response voluntary activities, winch and winter tyres.
 2016 D4 Landmark SDV6 (Euro6), Zanzibar (late run D4)
2009 D4 HSE TDV6, Bali blue (first run D4)
2007 RRS TDV8 HSE, some blue

http://www.lothian4x4response.org 

Post #154839221st Oct 2015 3:38 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Had this nonsense with LRIns a few years ago (RSA) when I checked that they still covered a remap. Despite them accepting extra premium for it, they told me they didn't cover remaps, and never had and were about to cancel my policy immediately. Changed to NFU almost 5 years ago and never looked back, wouldn't darken LRIns virtual door again, whoever is running it. Thumbs Up

Post #154839321st Oct 2015 3:46 pm
G7jtk

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: "Land Rover" insurance irresponsible behaviour

Reginald Molehusband wrote:
I just renewed my insurance with "Land Rover" insurance for the fourth year, I've made no new mods to the vehicle but I would have been uninsured had I not queried the facts.

Their statement of facts still didn't include the winch and some minor issues so I phoned them to confirm, only to find out that they have changed underwriters from Zenith who would cover winches to Allianz who will not cover winches, and that the insurance they had sold me was not worth the email it was sent by. They are giving a full refund without the usual admin deduction due to their incompetence. Note that they are nothing to do with Land Rover but it is a trading name of Original Insurance Services Ltd.

So beware renewals with familiar insurance traders, assume nothing.

I have now insured with Adrian Flux who promises to cover everything including greenlaning, off road training days, 4x4 Response voluntary activities, winch and winter tyres.

I had this with saga. Now can't drive green lanes or go off road. They didn't say anything last year and although I hadn't fitted it yet the said I could go ahead and fit a snorkel. The remap also made no difference. In fact I didn't need to tell them once the it was fitted.
Not this year.

Post #154845921st Oct 2015 5:53 pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

>>>Now can't drive green lanes or go off road

Green Lanes are public roads, usually unsurfaced, but they are not "off-road". I don't see why they wouldn't be covered (if that's what you mean).

cheers

simon

Post #154850121st Oct 2015 6:58 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

That would depend on the insurer's T&Cs, pretty easy for them to exclude green lanes if they want to do so. Thumbs Up

Post #154850421st Oct 2015 7:00 pm
couplands

Curious as to how they would define a green lane. The roads will be on the councils definitive maps, List of Streets etc and are public rights of way.

It kind of gets my goat (as per the ramblers in the Peak District) when folks try and make out that the green lanes are anything other than a road than can be driven like any other. [soap box mode off]... Shocked

cheers

simon

Post #154850921st Oct 2015 7:04 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

I agree with you but if an insurer doesn't want to cover a non Tarmac right of way they can easily exclude it through the definitions. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it can easily be done. Thumbs Up

Last edited by DSL on 21st Oct 2015 7:15 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #154851221st Oct 2015 7:07 pm
couplands

Indeed... Thumbs Up

Post #154851321st Oct 2015 7:10 pm
anglefire

England 

Some green lanes are actually sealed roads. Go figure.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #154861421st Oct 2015 9:39 pm
epninety

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
I agree with you but if an insurer doesn't want to cover a non Tarmac right of way they can easily exclude it through the definitions. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it can easily be done. Thumbs Up

I agree that they *could*, but insurance requirements extend beyond Rights of Way, to include land to which the public have access, like Tesco car park. I think that while they might be able to refuse your comprehensive cover, but it would be very difficult for them to exclude your third party cover, and to a lesser extent probably, fire and theft.

I would be demanding, in writing, an exact definition of which public roads I was insured/uninsured for, and the extent the cover in each case. Then I'd take that letter to whoever is the insurance ombudsman these days, and every off road, land rover and general car magazine I could find.

It wouldn't be the first time an insurer was forced to rewrite policy wording when questioned in public.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17489887

Sadly NFU quotes for my D3 are 3x what it costs me from a.n.other ins. co. ltd. A real shame, because they insure my other LRs and have done for a decade or more. Big Cry

Post #154862121st Oct 2015 9:52 pm
Reginald Molehusband

"Land Rover" insurance say they cover you for driving a green lane on your own. But if you get together with a group of 4x4s to go greenlaning then it becomes an off road event and as such is no longer covered. The inconsistencies in these statements are too numerous to mention ... Mad

Post #154897722nd Oct 2015 6:19 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I recently renewed with them under allianz and clarified that full off road cover is included. Confused

Green lanes are roads in any case so if a few vehicles are following each other down a dual carriageway or a green lane then that can't be construed as an off road event.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #154898122nd Oct 2015 6:27 pm
Reginald Molehusband

If I understand the way insurance companies work (which I don't), if they have an excuse not to pay out then they won't pay out. You may claim two landies driving down a track is a ligit means of getting from A to B, but if they define it as an event the onus will be on you to convince them otherwise.

Life is too short and it's not worth the hassle.

Post #154898822nd Oct 2015 6:47 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I understand the frustration but all insurance companies preclude events or trials from their policies though Confused

To me they would have to have evidence that you were involved in a bone fide event which I would suggest involves some sort or payment to enter or be involved with. If a few people decide to go for a drive and happen to go off road then that in itself doesn't constitute an event surely. Confused
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #154899322nd Oct 2015 6:57 pm
Reginald Molehusband

you would like to think so ....

It's the subjectiveness of it all: with Zenith they were happy to accept off road training days for 4x4 Response volunteers as it was part of the volunteer activity even if it was off road. With Allianz they regard that same description of an activity as an off road event full stop and therefore not to be covered.
All this being verbally translated by the broker all the while, so all open to reinterpretation should a claim actually arise.

I prefer to go with someone who writes in bold on their website and their policy, we cover you for off road events, ... it is, after all, what Landrovers are for.

Post #154899922nd Oct 2015 7:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >