Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Do I need Warranty cover?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
marcros

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

ieuan wrote:
So Go Car, will cover me for: 12 months is £376.65 or 24 months £580.45 or 36 months £733.30

Sound ok, but the don't cover Wear and Tear, they have something called Ultimate warranty which does, but it's up to 60k miles....so I'm over this one........

Trouble is without Wear and Tear, I think it gives the WTY company a get-out clause....did a google search and found this:
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j...6721,d.ZG4

I also found one called Warranty Wise, has Quentin Wilson's face on the front of the site, but they wanted £750 for 1 year and £1800 for 3 years cover or £75 a month...

The Warranty Direct quote for taking out betterment and covering suspension (Extra Care) was £70.50 a month (£846 total)

This is worse than choosing pet insurance!!!

So £100 saved a month = £1200 a year, £3600 over three years

Big Cry More thinking time now.....I have 3 months cover witht he garage....perhaps I leave it a few months and see???

To be fair, if you can put £100 a month away, plan to keep the vehicle a while, and can afford to go overdrawn on your slush fund if a big bill arrives before you have amassed a lump sum to cover it, then you will likely be the winner over the warranty. From what I have read, wear and tear will exclude friction parts anyway- so break disks, pads, tyres are all out. There will be an excess for each claim which needs deducting.

Think that if I couldnt get the warranty that I wanted, I would be tempted to get the AA one at £7 a month, and bank the £93.

Post #117360317th Oct 2013 1:55 pm
JimmyP

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Ieuan, what mileage have you got on your D3? It's the same year as mine and mine has done 97k. I did all my haggling via email with WD and just told them I had budgeted a certain amount and couldn't stretch to their premium but if they can hit this figure (£60) then I'd go ahead.

Sticking money aside is fine but if your turbo goes next month then the £100 isn't going to go very far....

I think it was DSL on here that said to try it on with the warranty companies near the end of the month as that's when they're trying to hit sales targets. I received loads of texts and emails from Warranty Wise in the last weeks of August and September offering free add-ons, 13 months-for-12, etc so it may be worth leaving it for a week or so.
 Previously owned an '08 D3 HSE in Stornoway grey but jumped ship to see what the Swedes have to offer.  
Post #117360417th Oct 2013 1:58 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
ieuan

if you trawl back through my posts you will see a thread from a couple of months ago then this very question came up....
do you or dont you.......
the risks either way etc..youre dammed if you do (you pay a set amount) & maybe dammed even more if you dont....

its a bit like here where I work we have a novel way of doing budgets...
youre either lucky or wrong

to me its just like placing a bet...you are always richer for not betting...but if you do bet you suffer the bigger risk of losing your money......if you do bet its only a chance you may win...but an almost certainty you wont. Lady Luck. My late father was a (successfull) bookmaker & a very good professional card player.....I choose not to gamble on specific things like horses, dogs, football etc.

I havent had a warranty on my 8 year old Disco3...76k miles in I havent been unlucky (or lucky) & the D3 has been excellent...so you could say I have benefitted 5 x £650 to £750...my choice specifically ...my risk entirely.

on the other hand I did take a Jaguar (Car Care) warranty on my Jag XK......I heard a few horror stories & had good advice from colleagues with the same car....

I also asked around with dealers & 3rd party fixers as to who they would prefer to deal with.....all said Car Care & not WD...If you find the thread by searching you will see that a couple also endorse this fact.

You could (if youre well heeled) consider a warranty a "running cost" so you have:
Road Fund Licence Tax....only gets worse
Insurance....this is a variable...shop around...
Cost of MOT.....& getting this...
Servicing...if you bother..
Fuel....again only gets worse...& its mainly a tax anyway...
Car warranty...the only one you can choose "do or dont"
Depreciation..which is a technicality...what the car is worth is what they give you if you decide to part company...what the car is worth to you is what you paid (& might still be paying) & what it represents to you......status symbol...essential piece of kit for transport....a boys toy etc....my D3 cost £42k ..to me its still worth that as its what I originally invested in it....I am not in the real world on this one !
the one thing I do know is the history of my D3...I know the care thats been taken (lavished actually).....the considerations that have been made & the corners that havent been cut (cut price oils...dodgy servicing)...the standard I have kept up to with it......this a big unknown with a previously owned vehicle.

Choose Wisely...
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #117360617th Oct 2013 2:01 pm
Iguana

Ukraine 

Just passed 69,000 (last night) - I've gone back again to WD and asked them nicely for an improved quote.

It is like gambling, I think I've only ever placed one wager, £50 on Wales winning the last Rugby World cup, only for the Bloody Ref to ruin it.....well it was techically a high tackle Smile

Go Car just called me, seemed nice (as you would expect) - I mentioned WD and they did not 'rubbish' them, just said it's up to me, but my Disco 3 was over the 60k limit for Wear and tear cover

so, I have breakdown cover anyway (rescue/recovery), but the AA thing does look pretty good - so let me do some more thinking

Post #117361117th Oct 2013 2:25 pm
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It's not the money that pees me off with these things. If I payed out £700 for the year and the Disco had behaved itself 100% and I had 'done' my £700 that wouldn't bother me at all. Or if my engine blew up and cost me several £thousand to replace and I hadn't taken out a warranty I might be somewhat moody for a couple of days, but I'd get over it Very Happy

But what would really Censored me off and set my stress levels and blood pressure boiling would be if I had placed my £700 bet and was told that although my horse had got over the line first, due to a technicality, not only will they not pay me my winnings, but don't even consider thinking about asking for your original wager back.

Only an insurance company could get away with pulling such a stunt!!
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #117361917th Oct 2013 2:47 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

I took a WD warranty and was glad I did. I found them good to deal with, to be honest. Speak sensibly to them, log everything, get everything in writing and haggle. Leave it until the end of the month to drive the hardest deal as they want to close to get their stats up.

I paid £55 per month. I didn't do all the maths, but whenever there was a problem either during MOT or service, they paid up. I had two new EGR valves, a new alternator, quite a bit of front suspension work done, but also peace of mind that had the engine packed up, I had coverage. I did trust them to pay out. Always a little bit of haggling, but that's life and few insurance companies are different.

I don't think I'd run a D3 now without a warranty. I'd be a bit more confident in the D4, however.
 PAGODA  
Post #117362017th Oct 2013 2:50 pm
d3mad

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I initially went with Quentin and his Warantywise. First claim, wishbone replacements. Phoned them, said yes covered - my lucky day Thumbs Up

BUT I ended up having to pay because they considered it "not normal wear and tear" - based on because both needed replacing, so it was not considered normal wear and tear - however, if I had done one, then the other a month later, would have paid! Big Cry

No end of calls, no luck Embarassed

So I went with Warranty Direct and the AA repair cover separately. Fingers crossed now for the future
 2 x D3's (Twins)
TDV6 HSE 2006 - Buckingham Blue - Wintrac Exreme S
HIDS4U GVIF + Reversing camera
HIDS4U Blackvue HD front and rear
HIDS4U OSRAM CBI xenon bulbs +
HIDS4U LED's interior & exterior
CKO Twin DVB-TV Freeview Tuner
Traxide Dual Battery System with Optima
BAS FBH remote
Bodsy DRL's
Bodsy EGR's Blanked
V8 Brake Upgrade by Steve, Advanced Factors 

Post #117362517th Oct 2013 3:04 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Land Rover Approved Warranty wouldn't cover ARB bushes at 70K.

Warranty Direct on a policy at almost half the price refurbished my gearbox and replaced my engine at £140+K

Not all policies are the same!

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic102525.html

John
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #117760225th Oct 2013 8:22 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

we had landrover warranty £91 per month for the top one ,,but think there are limits on age ,,,,mileage

Post #117765225th Oct 2013 9:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >