Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Remapping Horror story
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
armalites

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

There will be loads of people out there driving vehicles they have no idea have been remapped. Unfortunately as as the insurance company is concerned that is no defence.

There will be even more people out there who know there's has been remapped but say nothing, the only concern in this modern world is if a previous owner had declared it it will be on record somewhere.

The main issue will come is if you are involved in a really bad accident then they may start digging.

I haven't played with D3 maps but on D2-TD5 very often when you look at the fuel code id it will have been changed to the name of a tuner so it very clear it's not standard.

The other issue is if an insurance company was suspicious then they could take it too a tuner who would be able to tell them if it was standard, this is possibly something the police/insurance may do if a fatality was involved.

Post #120380317th Dec 2013 12:59 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Reminds me of the time I tried to put my 18 year old Gson on my D3 insurance with Churchill, the computer screen just went blank and they banned me from their web site Laughing
Did you get a refund?
Does that mean they don't insure D4's? - after all a basic D4 has more power than a mapped D3.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #120380817th Dec 2013 1:06 pm
Snapper66

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Bit worrying, I've got a BAS unit sat in a cupboard waiting for me to get the file uploaded. In 2 minds now Neutral
 Just 'cos your paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you!  
Post #120382317th Dec 2013 1:47 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I even told my insurer that I have a fitted towbar and now a roof rack, just in case its not worth the hassle if it all goes pear shaped.

As for engine or power mods I cannot say, I stay well clear of such items just to be safe Thumbs Up
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #120382417th Dec 2013 1:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Deffo worth getting a good remap, transforms the car. Thumbs Up Re insurance, just needs a little work to get the insurance sorted. Better done before the remap is applied. Whistle

Post #120382517th Dec 2013 1:50 pm
Whistler

United Kingdom 

Try Adrian Flux, I declared all sorts of mods on the D2 and they just said, Uhuh ok no charge.
 Current drive Disco 2 "Humphrey" Dynachiped and off road prepped
Looking for a 2006+ D3 

Post #120388317th Dec 2013 3:54 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Adrian Flux might also offer you a discount if you have a Blackvue (or similar dash cam).

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #120388817th Dec 2013 4:08 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I am with DL and advised them that I was getting a remap to improve low speed accelaration as our road joins a main road on blind corner and this would make it safer to exit, espcially turning right. They were fine with that change.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #120394217th Dec 2013 7:26 pm
Ian999

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yes I should have waited until my insurance was due for renewal before having the remap done. I have managed to get insured with Nationwide remap and all. Waiting to see if Directline offer me some money back, got a feeling that I might be in for a disappointment though. It means an added one off cost for getting the D3 remapped of about £200. Still worth it though, the remap has transformed the car, much quicker off the line now and doesn't have that hesitation which it used to have before the revs pick up.
 Autologic remap, Superpro front lower bushes. Privacy Glass. 4x4 info enabled. Now sitting on Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres. New Borg Warner turbo Nov 2014. Recon gearbox 2019. 

Last edited by Ian999 on 17th Dec 2013 7:44 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #120395017th Dec 2013 7:38 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Look at the Directline T&Cs, it should state what happens in the case of cancellation. I'd have thought you'd be due a pro rata refund, poss less an admin fee. Definately worth sorting this out before you had the remap done. If you'd had a crash on the way back from the garage you wouldn't have been insured. Food for thought. Thumbs Up

Post #120395217th Dec 2013 7:42 pm
Ian999

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I probably made a mistake in quoting actual Horse Power numbers to DL. The remap took the car from 191 to 240 which is a 25.6% increase, DL told me that up to 20% they would have been ok but over 20% no dice. I queried it and they spoke to the underwriter who confirmed that I was no longer insured. I am shocked at the brutality of the way I was handled, being told "well you can drive to the garage to get the remap removed and if the Police see you you will appear still to be insured with us but if you have an accident we will not pay"!! What kind of morality is that?? They actually encouraged me to drive without insurance. Needless to say I didn't, I got straight on the web and got myself new cover.. DL will not enjoy my business ever again.
 Autologic remap, Superpro front lower bushes. Privacy Glass. 4x4 info enabled. Now sitting on Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres. New Borg Warner turbo Nov 2014. Recon gearbox 2019.  
Post #120395417th Dec 2013 7:44 pm
aldouspw

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I am with Admiral as they have a mod checklist which included Sidesteps, towbar (although that was factory fitted but you never know), and my Supercharged RR style grill which completely non plussed Saga, they just could not proceed as they had no tick box for it.

Pete.
 Take it easy......but take it

2009 HSE Stornoway Grey, Almond leather.
T_Max Dual Battery system.
Sidesteps.
Chrome Supercharged RR style Grill.
LED Interior lighting.
GVIF.
DVD player.
TV.
FL2 Rear headrest screens.
AV Switcher.
IIDTool BT v2.8 Android Beta.
Centre Winch for loading Mobility Scooter.
MY2014 LED Rear Lights. 

Post #120396717th Dec 2013 8:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sjmw

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

DL apply a standard £47.50 cancellation fee once outside the initial 14 days and a pro rata refund of your premium

Post #120398017th Dec 2013 8:31 pm
MarsKy

Scotland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

Direct Line and Privilege are very closely linked - I suspect the same company as their website, forms, etc., are very similar, and Direct Line already had my details when I changed over from Privilege. Your Direct Line details will probably be at Privilege's fingertips now Sad

I tried getting a remap from Privilege a few years ago for a different car. Made the mistake of saying it was to increase power and they turned me down straight away. You need some other reason - improved towing, better fuel economy, or whatever.

Post #120399817th Dec 2013 9:11 pm
epninety

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

armalites wrote:
There will be loads of people out there driving vehicles they have no idea have been remapped. Unfortunately as as the insurance company is concerned that is no defence.

I keep seeing this said in various forums, and it just isn't true, regardless of what your insurance company would like you to believe.

The Financial Ombudsman says :-

For example, ICOB Rule 7.3.6 provides that:
an insurer must not unreasonably reject a claim made by a customer except where there is evidence of fraud, e.g. refuse to meet a claim made by a retail customer on the grounds of non-disclosure of a fact material to the risk that the retail customer could not reasonably be expected to have disclosed;

(edited for clarity - read the link for more detail)

In other words, if you couldn't reasonably be expected to have known of a modification, they cannot refuse to honour the policy on that basis.

Last edited by epninety on 18th Dec 2013 11:01 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #120401617th Dec 2013 9:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >