Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Crankshaft notice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Rich84

Australia 

I take your point about the engine's design mohnwalk. The distance from the pump to the filter then to the crank is quite substantial. Then, as anyone with a TDV6 knows, once the oil has reached everywhere, it then takes a little while to build up pressure - hence the ticking at startup. The ticking and the oil pressure light extinguish once the oil reaches a very low pressure (ie, IIRC it's under 5psi)

I believe it's the filter/filter housing however that slowly drains back into the sump (only vacuum holds the oil in place it seems). I guess an adequate gauge of how much has drained back is how much ticking you get at startup. Ie, on a normal cold start on my daily driven Sport (with the new oil pump) I might get under a second of ticking. Leave it for 2-3 days without driving and that becomes 2-3 seconds. Completely drain the oil filter, such as in a routine service, and it takes 3-4 seconds before the ticking ceases.

I've always been a fan of letting the engine warm up sufficiently before any heavy load is put on the drivetrain - not by temperature gauge (coolant) - the engine and oil take a lot longer to warm up - about 15 minutes! I always did this to get the best life out of turbos on Audis and now for the engine on the TDV6! Thud
 2008 RRS TDV6 - Chawton White/Black/Lined Oak - 20's, h/k, sunroof - 350K KM.
2010 Audi A6 3.0T S-Line - Phamtom Black/exclusive 2-tone valcona 184K
2000 Audi A4 avant 1.8t Q Sport - Phantom Black/black 385K KM
1990 Nissan Pintara TRX - red - lots of mods - 439K KM 

Post #15118886th Aug 2015 6:23 am
hugeviking

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

What is wrong with Castrol oil, can anyone explain please.

Andi.

Post #15123036th Aug 2015 6:47 pm
anglefire

England 

I will again repeat, my replacement engine has never done the tick at startup - doesn't seem to matter how long it is left to stand (It doesn't seem to be left more than 48hours though!). And it has done 65K miles now.

I'm also a strong believer in letting the engine warm up properly - to the extent that last week in Austria, I ran the FBH first thing in the morning before I went down the steep hill into the village. I know it doesn't do the gearbox or diffs, but the engine was at least reasonably warm
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #15123066th Aug 2015 6:56 pm
Nr1rolf

Norway 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Breakdown HELP!

Hi there just had a breakdown on my car, Disco 3, 2.7tdv6 -07
321 000 km, well served ......
Have not open it but well, after reading all about the bearings and the oil pump I guess it's that what have caused it at my car also......

So have been looking on eBay for engine, and think it's best to get a engine that is has been recondition so the bad bearings and oil pump are at least changed.

And then I found these to engines dealers : NWS motor services, and Global Engines and gearboxes, but after using Google I found out people that have had bad experience with them, so I wonder if someone knows about them? Or other companies that sell reconditioned engines to my car Sad Sad Sad Sad

Post #15123546th Aug 2015 8:08 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

You will find most companies that recondition these engines have bad reviews...

In fact, most of the bigger engine remanufacturing companies will not touch a 276DT.

I sold 3 broken engines to a gentleman of "Eastern European" origin who was going to rebuild them. In fact, when they went on eBay, it was all Eastern Europeans who got in touch to buy them...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #15123566th Aug 2015 8:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nr1rolf

Ehhh thanks....

I think .... Well don't think that it help me though ...
Well the reason for bad reviews are not because of bad work sort of....but bad service , don't be honest about money etc.
So that sound to bad to send a lot of money over there to them and get them lost I think...
But since your a professional it seems, got any to recommend ? Or a thing to do?

Post #15123666th Aug 2015 8:24 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

interesting to see the split flange...thought the shaft itself would have snapped

Post #15123706th Aug 2015 8:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Re: Ehhh thanks....

Nr1rolf wrote:
I think .... Well don't think that it help me though ...
Well the reason for bad reviews are not because of bad work sort of....but bad service , don't be honest about money etc.
So that sound to bad to send a lot of money over there to them and get them lost I think...
But since your a professional it seems, got any to recommend ? Or a thing to do?

2nd hand engine from a running car...
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #15123956th Aug 2015 9:03 pm
Nr1rolf

To make something clear!

I'm not out for hurting any business, just wanna find out about other people experience about NWS Motor Services and Global motor and Gearboxes, since it not trust worthy after reading just a few reviews, but I lost the good feeling I had and want to get it back.
So please let me know if you got experience with some of them here or pm me please.

Post #15124386th Aug 2015 9:59 pm
Disco_Mikey

I buy all my engines from Eurojag. They ship them worldwide. I have bought so many over the last 2 years, they have given me a (small) discount on my latest engine Laughing
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #15124496th Aug 2015 10:07 pm
Rich84

Australia 
Re: Breakdown HELP!

Nr1rolf wrote:
Have not open it but well, after reading all about the bearings and the oil pump I guess it's that what have caused it at my car also......

So have been looking on eBay for engine, and think it's best to get a engine that is has been recondition so the bad bearings and oil pump are at least changed.

And then I found these to engines dealers : NWS motor services, and Global Engines and gearboxes, but after using Google I found out people that have had bad experience with them, so I wonder if someone knows about them? Or other companies that sell reconditioned engines to my car Sad Sad Sad Sad

What actually broke down on your car? You haven't mentioned.

Post #15124586th Aug 2015 10:40 pm
Rich84

Australia 

anglefire wrote:
I will again repeat, my replacement engine has never done the tick at startup - doesn't seem to matter how long it is left to stand (It doesn't seem to be left more than 48hours though!). And it has done 65K miles now.

I'm also a strong believer in letting the engine warm up properly - to the extent that last week in Austria, I ran the FBH first thing in the morning before I went down the steep hill into the village. I know it doesn't do the gearbox or diffs, but the engine was at least reasonably warm

Perhaps newer 276DTs are fitted with an oil non-return valve like many other engines? Or perhaps the chain tensioners have been re-designed.

I have 3 Audis with a combined 910,000km in my family and do work on another 2, all employ a very similar timing chain tensioner and none of them tick on startup.

Post #15124626th Aug 2015 10:44 pm
Nr1rolf

Re: Breakdown HELP!

Rich84 wrote:
Nr1rolf wrote:

What actually broke down on your car? You haven't mentioned.

As I mention , I don't know , but I guess it's the bearings and the crankshaft after having a bad oil pump and bearings as I have read a lot about now.....
But I really don't know, it's just a guess .... But it's totally stuck!

Post #15124827th Aug 2015 3:39 am
mohnwalk

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Rich84 wrote:
I've always been a fan of letting the engine warm up sufficiently before any heavy load is put on the drivetrain - not by temperature gauge (coolant) - the engine and oil take a lot longer to warm up - about 15 minutes! I always did this to get the best life out of turbos on Audis and now for the engine on the TDV6! Thud

I hope u mean driving the car and not let it idle? Because in idle the engine wont get adequate oil pressure. Personally I would not let my car stay idle in cold temperatures on startups. I think that is very bad for the engine.

On the other hand,

How many of the Disco3.co.uk have had their engine repleaced?

Like Nr1rolf here, this is a massive cost in Norway. It would almost be better to sell the car without engine and take the priceloss to rebuild the engine.. Thats not good. On the other hand I dont think anyone would really buy a D3 in Norway with engine failure..

In Norway there are not many garages that have experience with changing engine on D3, mostly just the LR garages, and they are expensive!! And I dont think its cost efficient to get this job done in another country (Poland, UK etc) because there are additional costs that brings the total price up.

D3 is a wonderful, wonderful car in so many ways, but this engine (read bearings) problems are beginning to be a headache to the owners with some miles/km on them..

Post #15125377th Aug 2015 8:06 am
wantmedic

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I've used them and no problems, supplied engine had a problem they recovered my D3 have fixed engine and sending it back full of fuel.

Would use them again and happy to recommend.
 2 D3 ‘s’ ambulance conversions and 2 D3 ‘SE’ for home (His and Hers)
110 for the nasty stuff (Now Retired) 

Post #15128197th Aug 2015 6:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >