DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Warranty or not - that is the question.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Ackers

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Warranty or not - that is the question.

Evening all,

The Discovery is now 6 years old (59 plate) 65,500 on the clock.

Full dealer service history - other than pads & discs it's only needed a new boot handle.

So the time has come for more wear & tear - MOT advisory lower ARB's and at service slight play in front wheel bearing.

Local Indy has quoted £250 for wheel bearing Vs main dealer £565 Shocked

ARB's - poly pro bushes with associated bits - ball joints etc and 4 wheel alignment £637 at the Indy.

Plus now tonight the hand break squeal & warning note on dash - did it once now fine.

So do buy a warranty wait - then claim? If so warranty direct ? Or another?

I am useless with a spanner & do not trust myself!

So now can't decide which way to go.

Any advice or suggestion welcome. Bow down
 Learning everyday!
MY 9.5 TDV6. SE. Santorini Black. - gone but will not be forgotten
Now - MY 16.5 Discovery Sport HSE
Waiting for right full size Discovery 4 or 5! 

Post #15241363rd Sep 2015 8:26 pm
Dave T

England 

What level of cover can you get for a 6 year old car? From previous experience, if you can't get the top cover with wear and tear included, then it probably ain't worth it.

the EPB probably just needs cleaning and adjusting, wouldn't be covered anyway.

As for the rest, how much would a warrnaty company pay out for apart from the wheel bearing?

The other option is the AA breakdown insurance, it only pays £500 max per claim, but the excess is only £35 and the car needs to be unfit to drive. It can take the sting out of some things but doesn't cost anywhere near as much if you need AA cover anyway.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #15242824th Sep 2015 7:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ackers

Thanks Dave,

I have the AA BRC and used when I had a battery issue - no fuss Thumbs Up

I will wait a bit longer then contact them!

Having slept on it - you're probably right - and I doubt that a warranty company will pay out on upgraded parts anyhow.

Cheers

Ackers
 Learning everyday!

Post #15242864th Sep 2015 7:35 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Extended Warranty - Its a gamble

a bet, a wager & a risk you have to think about
My Disco is 9 years old & at the 3yr end of makers warranty I had the option - but couldn't afford it....so didnt

The thought I had was that year 4 with the vehicle sort of proven & fettled the first three by dealers for free..it shouldn't go wrong - so the dosh I paid was wasted on a bet I wouldn't win.

The same has held good until year 8 when the biggest fault I have had is a need to rebuild the auto gearbox - which wasn't oil changed or flushed (as it could & should have been) way before I got to 90k miles.

.....so funds given freely to a warranty would have been wasted as I would have made no claims...my risk entirely & in my case my financial gain. I am in the AA & until this year have had no need to call them.

I have serviced my Disco on the button of the mileage or period coming up & other than wear parts - brakes, tyres, batteries (one done in warranty two more at my behest as I don't want my SWMBO'd to be stranded) etc the only outlay.

Alternatively I have kept the makers warranty on my XK with the Jaguar warranty extension - from others with XK's I was warned about spurious warning lights heralding large strip-downs that cost a small fortune that aren't best done by Indies...not anywhere near the point of having a tow me home failure as the car at 5 years has only done 25k miles.

So to answer your original question...if you can get a decent warranty at 6yrs in that covers what you need on major components from a decent provider you make the bet !

Another thought is having a warranty wont markedly alter its resale value
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #15243224th Sep 2015 8:56 am
Numpty

England 

Warrantywise about £50 per month over 3 years 6 years old 83000 miles to 9 years old 128000 miles and I have been paid out to value I have paid in including rear diff at £1200. I would recommend.

Post #15243694th Sep 2015 10:59 am
Ackers

Thanks all,

So I am looking at Warranties.

Should I be looking at removing any clause e.g. Betterments etc...

We don't off road as such occasional tracks and fields. So no real issues there.

So my next question - Warrantywise or Warranty Direct?

Regards

Ackers
 Learning everyday!

Post #15243914th Sep 2015 11:40 am
JimmyP

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I was in the same situation when I got mine two years ago, albeit having 96k on the clock, and went with Warranty Direct. Thanks to all the advice on here, I negotiated the Extra Care policy, emissions and airbag cover and zero betterment for £60 a month. In that time I've paid out £1,200 in premiums but had both EGRs replaced under warranty to the tune of £800-odd so it hasn't quite paid for itself but I'm still happy enough. All they need to process the claim is an email with photos of your last service invoice, MOT and workshop invoices and a cheque lands on your doormat a few days later (less your excess, of course).

The best advice I received was to negotiate hard and, if you can, do it near the end of a month as the reps are keen to hit their targets.
 Previously owned an '08 D3 HSE in Stornoway grey but jumped ship to see what the Swedes have to offer.  
Post #15243924th Sep 2015 11:44 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Been with WD for 5 1/2 years and due to mileage this will be the last year. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Never received less than the premiums, well it is a D3. I'm just amazed they touch them. Big advantage is they cover (and do pay out for) wear and tear.

Just don't expect new car levels of cover, be aware of what you're buying cover and limitations wise. If you expect new car cover levels you'll be disappointed and need to stick to sub 3 year old cars.

Post #15243934th Sep 2015 11:47 am
Numpty

England 

One thing to be careful is my favourite Indie insists customer pays for repair then settles with whichever wareanty company you use. Hes been bitten in past so understandable but the reason I wanted a warranty was to cover big outlay myself even if only for a few weeks. Not ideal but if you are happy to use any garage wuth a good relationship with your choosen wareanty company then cashflow show not be an issue.

Post #15244174th Sep 2015 1:06 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

With WD as long as it's authorised before work starts and you email in a scan of the bill, MOT and last service invoice a cheque arrives a few days later. If you get the work done without authosiation then the'll do Ner Ner to you.

Post #15244324th Sep 2015 1:49 pm
Numpty

England 

So with WD you still have have the cash to settle with the garage then get cheque from WD? Plus we have no where near to pay cheques in ...old tech now

Post #15244384th Sep 2015 2:01 pm
ace_brodie

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Had a Warranty Direct Policy for the last 3 years... i have made a claim every year, greater than my premium and they've paid out. They won't cover everything, especially as when the car gets over 7 years old, but its been well worth it. Have had to fight my corner... won some, lost some...

greatest victory was getting them to replace the EPB.

Also - watch your 90 day intro period. if something fails due to W&T in that time, it won't be covered.

AC Thumbs Up
 2007 XS, Leather Auto - Stornoway Grey
Bright Pack
Privacy
Side Steps
'Narpy' Grille 

Post #15244714th Sep 2015 3:44 pm
DavidSally

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I've got WD with the added extras as per other posts on here and would recommend it. I've got an '08 model. Some garages will claim for you; with mine I have to pay and then claim it back. I find WD send the money very quickly. As per one of the above posts, be careful with the 90 day wear and tear clause. I fell foul of it on day 82. Had I been more savvy I'd have waited another week before claiming......hindsight is a wonderful tool

Post #15244774th Sep 2015 4:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

If you take out the warranty and have to show them the Mot and advisories then they surely won't pay for the advisories in which case wheres the benefit
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Post #15244814th Sep 2015 4:12 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Numpty wrote:
Warrantywise about £50 per month over 3 years 6 years old 83000 miles to 9 years old 128000 miles and I have been paid out to value I have paid in including rear diff at £1200. I would recommend.

Unless Ive read that wrong, you have paid out 1800 pounds and received 1200 pounds?

I personally have never had a warranty on anything I have bought ever, especially extended white goods warranty, but then I am a mech so its just hassle rather than major expense.

Post #15245774th Sep 2015 6:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >