Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

D3 tailgate not opening
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
carreragt7

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Yeah, it wasn't my first choice but given the circumstances of not having much room to play with it ended up being the method I needed to use. To clarify, I drilled through the interior plastic/carpet lining piece, not the exterior metal body panel of the tailgate. This piece is cheap enough from a wrecker or dealer to justify not taking it to the stealer ship and paying outrageous labor fees.

Now I can access the same area quite easily if it ever has more issues. I can put a gasket there to make it look better as well, and ultimately I am going to incorporate some sort of emergency release.

Here is the YouTube link. In the comments section someone mentions the measurements needed to drill in the correct spot without having to keep drilling holes in the carpet piece. Due to my particular situation and the angles I had to work with, I was slightly off but still able to get it done. Having two midsize Snap-On toolboxes, grinder and polisher wheels, and drill press all in the load space area made my job quite comical.

Post #159097411th Jan 2016 4:02 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Mmmm, well I really wouldn't recommend this method as you're going to wreck the rear panel in the process, even the guy in the video said he wrecked his panel doing this.

There's a much better, proven and none damaging method that should be tried first in my opinion.
Remember this, it is possible to get in behind that rear panel without busting it or drilling any holes. Wink
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...repair.doc
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #159100211th Jan 2016 5:04 pm
carreragt7

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

I completely agree that this is not the preferred method of repair. But in my case, it was the only one. I had large metal toolboxes taking up 90% of the rear load space, there was no way the method shown in your pdf would have been possible in my case.

This repair would be a piece of cake if your load space is empty. Mine was completely full of large toolboxes (the kind used in professional shops, not meant to be easily portable).

I researched for hours on various sites and got quotes from shops as well. None of the independent shops wanted to do it due to my cargo space issue, or quoted parts and labor charges in excess of $1000 USD. Drilling a hole in a pice of plastic was a much cheaper and ultimately better option in my particular situation.

If your latch fails on you with an empty load space, you got very lucky. Smile

Post #159103011th Jan 2016 5:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >