DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Copper Grease & Brake Pad Lugs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Woolmeister

Ukraine 
Copper Grease & Brake Pad Lugs

I'm replacing my front discs and pads tomorrow. Very Happy

My ever reliable indie gave me a tip when I was last there which was to not use any copper grease on the lugs of the pads (or anywhere on the pads for that matter). Shocked

He also recommended I give the caliper carrier brackets a good clean-up to remove any rust where the stainless steel shims come into contact with them, to ensure the pads are free to move on the new stainless shims.

I completely understand his logic in that brakes and the braking area of a car attract a lot of dirt and get very hot. Grease is only going to encourage that dirt to stick to it and cause a big, greasy, mess. More so when it gets hot and the viscosity of the grease is reduced, turning it into a big oily mess. Rolling Eyes

I know Bodsy's Brake Bible recommends "a liberal coating of copper grease to the top and bottom lugs of the brake pad" but I wonder if this advice is now somewhat outdated?

What are others doing these days, please? FWIW, I'm fitting Borg & Beck pads and Brembo discs.

Thanks,

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #159780822nd Jan 2016 9:46 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Personally I would avoid "liberal" coating of copper grease but as you said, make sure to remove the rust and brake dust off the stainless plates and underneath, make sure the pads can move ok but are not sloppy and then just wipe some copper grease to the lugs where they meet the carrier bracket stainless plates. This will stop them sticking Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #159781322nd Jan 2016 9:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I fit a little, why I dont know as its never there the next time I look.
The truck maker I used to work for said quite categorically do not use copasalip, if you feel the need to use grease use normal high temperature grease sparingly on contact points only.
Ive used copaslip in the past to try and stop squealing brakes, it works for a short period of time!

Post #159781922nd Jan 2016 9:58 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

A good zip with scotchbrite then coppperslip on the contact points and silicone grease on the sliders for me.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #159782622nd Jan 2016 10:05 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'd certainly always use some form of anti-seize compound on them; when I did my first pad change on the Disco, they we're stuck solid, unevenly worn and hadn't been greased (or if they were, there was no sign of it). I've just renewed the rear pads for the second time and they were spot on. Main thing is to keep any copper grease away from the rubber seals. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #159797623rd Jan 2016 10:46 am
Jakeboy

Scotland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I find that spending some time cleaning the rust off the carriers, under the stainless steel shims, tends to ensure the pads are not too tight and require little copper grease. I do always put a smear on the lugs anyway, more habit than anything and a little where the piston(s) contact the pad to prevent squeeling (apparently). I guess everyone has there own preferences on these things.

The fact that we are discussing it, means we are aware of the issues that may present themselves and that can only be a good thing Thumbs Up

I'm reminded of a previous installation I condemned where said, "mechanic", saw fit to take a grinder to the lugs on the new pads of a friends Insignia. Exclamation

Apparently, "they were manufactured wrong or incorrect fitment as they were too tight and so I just trimmed the lugs a bit"! Three weeks later I was asked to look at the brakes due to excessive vibration/screech/clunking upon braking. To my horror, the pads were somewhat of a "rattling fit", presumably as the rust under the shims had been dislodged due to vibration from the new pads and subsequently widened the overall gap.

A simple clean of the carriers would have avoided the need to grind the lugs in the first place Exclamation I don't tolerate dodgy practice, especially when it comes to the Anchors.

All cleaned up with new pads and shims ( and a little Copper grease Whistle ), and all good. Thumbs Up

Good luck with brakes Steve

Post #159801723rd Jan 2016 12:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >