Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Third EPB in 6 months!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Wilko_UK

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Third EPB in 6 months!!

Some time ago I had the rear shoes, springs, discs etc replaced. Some time later the EPB starts screaming. I take the car back to my Indie, who adjusts the shoes all good.. Some weeks later the EPB starts screaming again and this time its toast. Its time for a new EPB. Took it to my Indie who replaced the EPB actuator (no 2) and sorted things out.. Again, some weeks later its screaming again!! OK. Some points of note. I park on a driveway that has an angle of 20 degrees. When I park, I reverse down the slope, apply the footbrake, engage the EPB and move into 'Park'. On occasion when I remove the key, lock the doors and walk away the EPB starts screaming away !! WTF?? So, I talk to my Indie again, and he kindly takes the car back in, and can replicate the issue on a slope. He took advice from LR Tech and replaced the EPB actuator (No 3). A couple of weeks go by and F**k me the new EPB is doing the same thing, this time it waited until I got inside the house and halfway up the stairs! - Can anyone suggest what could be going wrong?

Post #159762322nd Jan 2016 4:34 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

I also park on a considerable slope every evening (and have done so for the last 6 years). I'm on my original EPB module (now 9 years old) and have not adjusted it in 18 months or more. Mine's a manual so don't have Park to rely on as much (although I do leave it in reverse, pointing downhill).

Hate to say it, but it sounds as though your indie doesn't know how to adjust it properly. It doesn't sound normal to me.

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #159762822nd Jan 2016 4:56 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I would say your indie is not setting up and adjusting the epb shoes correctly.?

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #159766222nd Jan 2016 6:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wilko_UK

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

So would it be fair to say that even though the EPB has been applied, the car is slipping down the slope, causing the EPB to go into 'Oh Sh*t' mode? Not enough grip by the shoes?

Post #159766722nd Jan 2016 6:35 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
So would it be fair to say that even though the EPB has been applied, the car is slipping down the slope, causing the EPB to go into 'Oh Sh*t' mode? Not enough grip by the shoes?

I have a lot of customers who park there cars on slopes and they do not have any problems with the epb, something is not set right .

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #159773322nd Jan 2016 8:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I use my EPB off road on some rather steep slopes and it's not misbehaved to date.

As Mick says I'd guess something hasn't been set up right.

Bodsy's Brake bible goes into detail about adjusting the EPB properly - worth a read.
 I see no ships........  
Post #159780022nd Jan 2016 9:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >