Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

My D3 journey begins
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 15 <123 45 ... 131415>
classic kev

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Brake pad wear sensor reinstated!

After all that, a closer inspection showed the plug was actually still present but some kind soul had just cut the lead from the sensor that had previously been attached, twisted the wires together and wrapped it all in insulation tape - a real professional job! I can only guess they couldn't be bothered to drop the wheel arch liner to be able to unplug it properly. Some people!

Engine light still coming on due to a stuck EGR valve. Valve 1 doesn't move very much and most of the time according to the live values sits at 12%. I will need to replace the EGR's for sure. I may make that the next job while I pluck up the courage to do the oil pump.

I have deliberated about whether or not to blank the EGR's but as I don't expect to be doing much mileage I think I will just replace them. The next dilemma is whether or not to spend on OEM quality valves or go the ebay Chinese cheap copy route? A pair of EGR valves for less than the price of an OEM one...... does anybody know if the cheap valves are any good?

Post #223004414th May 2021 7:42 am
Wildboy

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Good news on the wear indicator, no ideas on egr valves though, mine doesn't have them

Post #223008514th May 2021 12:15 pm
classic kev

Another weekend, more spannering, cursing and rain!

On Friday evening, I went to Harlech with SWMBO to pick up her son. Decided it would be good to take the Disco because I hadn't really driven it anywhere yet so off we went. Out through Denbigh and across the moors, then then the rain came! It was very wet but the Disco was happy enough. It was great to actually drive it, the roads were narrow, uneven with lots of tight bends. A great trip and it was clear the recent work on rear arms and brakes has been totally successful even if I haven't had a 4 wheel alignment done yet. We came back the slightly longer but less twisty route up to Caernarfon then along the A55.

Rain, more rain with extra rain to make sure! All was OK but the windscreen wipers need attention. There is a sharp crack (noise) when they change direction. So that was the mission for this morning.

Bonnet up to remove wiper arms and see what's what. Bonnet needs to be in service mode, so small screwdriver to pop the retaining clips on the struts. First one, no problem, the clip eased out and I pulled the strut free. I found a short piece of old pipe to use as a prop to take the weight of the bonnet and went to strut number 2. Clip a bit stiff, wiggle screwdriver..... ping! Oh.. B....r! where did that go? I didn't hear it clatter down and hit the ramp of the floor, guess it is sitting on top of the wheelarch liner. That's awkward.

Anyway, I undid the retaining nuts on both wiper arms then popped the scuttle panel.

A bit mucky in there but not too bad.

The scuttle panel doesn't fit too well, somebody has been in there before. Some of the foam was loose so a quick spray of contact adhesive and it's sorted.

After cleaning the bottom of the screen

and a quick wipe down of the scuttle panel

I cleaned the wiper spindles and splined tapers and gave them a light smear of vaseline ready for teh wiper arms. It looks like somebody had twisted the arms to reduce the noise or maybe to get rid of judder. I gently twisted the arms back to where I thought they should be. I looked at the blades, I think they could do with replacement. Anyway, popped the scuttle back on and at first thought it was better and closer fitting to the screen that it had been but after a few minutes the gap along the rubber was back. The scuttle is a bit manky anyway so I guess I will change it. back to the wipers, I lowered the bonnet and gave them a go. Not good! The drivers side was juddering, missing part of the screen and making quite a noise and the other arm wasn't really much better. I had a look at them and pondered.

I was able to see the arms do need to have a degree of twist for the blades to align correctly throughout their sweep so out with the grips and gave the arms a tweek. The sweep is OK and water is cleared but the noise is still there so I will be changing blades and hope I don't need arms as well.

Anyway, after playing about with the wipers I thought I had best re-attach the bonnet struts. This is relatively painless but I do need to go retrieve the retaining clip for the drivers side strut so I resigned myself to jacking up the front, removing the wheel and then remove the wheelarch liner. I decided to look at the bright side, I hadn't taken the liner off on this side yet so it would be an opportuity to see how much muck and debris was lurking under there and at the same time, hopefully find the missing clip. So off with the grille and the right headlight and undo the screw that holds the outside wheelarch trim.

Then in I went for the arch liner, no real dramas to be fair, a couple of the plastic retainers on the liner were quite stiff. The outside trim came off easily but it was a bit grim under there. I pulled out handfulls of fine silty muck and dead leaves and small stones. I decided to flush what I could see with a hand held spray bottle which was very effcetive especially when the soaked dirt was agitated with a hand brush.

I think I will make cleaning behind the arch liners an annual maintenance job. It is easy to do and should prevent rot in places you tend to ignore. My experience of rust repairs on my old Range Rover Classic tells me the prevention is just so worth it .... You have been warned!

So, what did it come out like?

I was happy with that so threw it all back together.

Oh yeah, that clip..... well guess what?

Didn't see it Mad

Not being easily put off I reasoned it had to have fallen on top of the arch liner. I was careful as I loosened it and double checked the detritus now laying on the ramp and the floor. Nope! not a sign. I thought I will have to see about getting a replacement.

While the car was up on the ramp I thought I would replace the broken clip that holds the bottom of the lower radiator shroud. If you ever wondered why the shroud doesn't move much it is because of the pipes clipped to it.

So, where is this clip?

Here's the existing one on the right hand side

And this is the left side where it is missing.

This is the clip (not my best photo Embarassed)

New clip in place

Another job jobbed!

Nearly forgot, that strut clip I did find it! Best guess it rolled to the inside of the arch liner, bounced off the ramp and on to the floor and then rolled forward, it was nowhere near where I thought it would be but who cares, I found it, popped it on and all is well in my world, at least until the next whatever!

Happy spannerin' Thumbs Up

Post #223025515th May 2021 2:48 pm
Pete2112

Wales 

Hi Kev, I'm Pete from Wrexham.
I am so delighted to hear you have bought a decent D3.
I have only just joined tonight so reading your post gives me encouragement that I may get something decent too too.

Good luck and hopefully may see you in my own D3 somewhere sometime soon. 8)

Post #223033616th May 2021 12:11 am
classic kev

Hello Pete, Welcome to the forum and thanks for reading my thread, glad you have found some inspiration.

It's always good to touch base with members close by, as you say, maybe see you around.

Cheers.

Post #223035416th May 2021 9:05 am
classic kev

Whilst faffing about outside this evening the sun on the paint really showed how well it had polished up, the flakes in the paint really popped.

Here's a couple of pics

You can see a deep reflection in the paint and the metallic flakes catching the sun. I was pleased with it so thought I'd share Smile

Post #223097918th May 2021 7:18 pm
DWDG

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Now I need to go and wash mine. 😳
 2007 Discovery 3 HSE Lugano Teal
2011 BMW 520d Touring Sophisticato Grey
2000 Porsche Boxster 2.7 Arena Red
2002 Porsche 911 3.6 C4 Cabriolet Artic Silver - sold last year
1987 Porsche 944S Black - sold last year
2006 Discovery 3 HSE Buckingham Blue - sold last year
2012 Ford Grand CMax Panther Black (wife’s) wish we’d sold that instead! 

Post #223100018th May 2021 9:25 pm
classic kev

Another weekend, more messing about with the Disco. Paying for it this morning though, struggling to stand up and walk again. That's the price for me being on my feet too long but hey ho, it will pass.

So what was I up to? I started with another round of glue pulling on the small dents on the front of the roof. This was partially successful, one of the dent is now virtually gone but unfortunately I did manage to pull off a small patch of lacquer, so that will be a cosmetic repair for another day.

I have been interested in popping the front bumper off for a look at the state of the intercooler and the air con condenser so as I had the time and the inclination I got stuck in. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to take the bumper off, it is just a case of being methodical and undoing bolts and screws and the headlamp washer hose and an electrical connector for the front fog lights.

Some of you may be asking why bother? The answer is simply that the build up of rubbish in the fins reduce the effectiveness of the intercooler and the condenser and it is good practice to flush them out. Also, if there is a lot of muck in there, the fins will slowly corrode and disintegrate.

Bumper, reinforcing bar and gubbins removed

If you remove the plastic duct from behind the bumper remember to watch out for the external temperature sensor, just unplug it.

As I said, the main reason for doing this is to clean out the rubbish

Ready for cleaning! At this point I should point out I did use a pressure washer but made sure I had the pressure turned down. If you hit the intercooler and condenser with a high pressure jet of water you will destroy it, the fins are quite fragile.

Sparkly clean!

Wow, the washer bottle is actually white!

Back on the ramp for re-assembly.

While I was putting it all back together I found the bottom hollow section was full of more muck and rubbish. Most would leave this but I just can't!

So off the ramp and attack with pressure washer! Although it would take some time, the mud in here will hold moisture and cause corrosion so it makes sense for very little effort to blast the dirt out so the risk of corrosion is reduced.

Lastly, all back together and no spare bits!

And yes, for the particularly keen eyed among you, the front bumper is actually a different colour to the rest of the car! Don't ask me why, I really don't know but the bumper is a dark blue colour, maybe Buckinham Blue but the car is Lugano Teal. Never mind, to be fair, it doesn't really notice that much, perhaps one day I'll get it painted the right colour.

Cheers!

Post #223186823rd May 2021 8:55 am
classic kev

Yep, I've been out there spannering some more. This time it was EGR valves. What a mission! It's not particularly difficult but the limited access just makes it a complete battle of wills.

If you decide to take this on yourself I hope you don't have big hands. You will need 1/4" sockets and extensions. The more extensions of various lengths the better. You will need a set of torx bits (T30) for the egr valve screws that secure the cooler to the valve. You will need a couple of ratchet spanners, 10mm and 8mm, without ratchet spanners this job would take even longer! A very useful thing to have ready is a good magnetic pick up tool for when you drop bolts - you will drop them.

True to form I have photos... so here we go!

Batteries out. Remove battery trays, engine cover, EGR pipes.

You've got to get in here! Remove that piece of insulation blanket.

Looks easy doesn't it? A couple of bolts, an electrical plug/connector and off you go!

And here it is removed, just like that!

Nightmare! I was taking my time but I reckon it took me about 3 or 4 hours to get the valve out and the new one back in. Harsh language will be used I assure you but also, be ready for bruised and scraped fingers/hands. On the left side, the air conditioning pipes are properly in the way. For the home mechanic evacuating the air con is not really a straight forward proposition so be prepared to work around the pipes.

I didn't jump straight on to the right hand side. By the time I finished the first valve it was time to retire for the evening, a medicinal beer to celebrate seemed appropriate.

Saturday morning I summon the strength to go at it again. Feet/ankles a bit stiff and sore but it has to be done. Access to the bolts on the right is marginally better and seemed to take a little less time.

I reckon it was about 3 hours for the right EGR valve so overall allow a day to change both valves.

New valves in, batteries in place spark it up and see if the dash lights up like a Christmas tree.

Job done! Mission success. EGR valves replaced at exactly 124k.

The other thing that happened this week was for reasons unknown the windscreen cracked. I went out on Tuesday and when I returned put the Disco in the barn as usual. Wednesday late afternoon I had to go out and there it was, a long arching split in the screen. Completely random, no impact but nonetheless there it is. So I'll be having a new screen on Friday.

Post #223309329th May 2021 2:11 pm
ronnie12342003

United Kingdom 

screen could have happened when you had the scuttle panel off

Post #223310029th May 2021 2:59 pm
classic kev

Wow what a glorious day! The sun is shining in North Wales it is warm with a hint of breeze but not a cloud in the sky. I hope you are all seeing the sun today.

Anyway, I was up with the lark so decided to give the Disco a bath before the sun was too hot.

As it was still early I thought I'd give my "other" car a wash too

Warm, sunny Sundays are made for washing cars. Enjoy!

Post #223326230th May 2021 3:32 pm
classic kev

New windscreen fitted today. Also put on new wipers. Not very exciting I'm afraid but quite necessary.

I have been advised no car washing for 2 days to make sure the windscreen sealant/adhesive has properly cured. So won't be doing much this weekend.

I also ordered 4 new tyres. The current items are OK, perfectly legal BUT they are cheap tyres and road biased. I wanted a reasonable AT, but which ones? What a minefield tyre choice is.

After some deliberation and close consideration of what I expect to need, cost, EU tyre labelling and previous experience I decided on Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure. I just hope they balance up nicely.

Cheers.

Post #22342184th Jun 2021 5:30 pm
classic kev

Another weekend and more messing about with the D3. This week I received the Lightforce 170's I ordered. Then I pondered how I was going to mount them. I started off with a clamp like arrangement but then came to a conclusion it was not going to work how I wanted so I scrapped it..... no idea how long I faffed about with that, cutting bits of steel and welding, drilling and tapping but hey ho.

So I went back to the drawing board. I have devised what is still a pair of clamps but after a bit of messing about of course they are complete and work a treat. I fitted up the grille and it clears the clamps as I hoped it would so hopefully it will all come together. I have ordered a used grille so I can cut out two big holes for the lights which can then sit nicely in to the grille instead of projecting forward of the bumper.

My tyres also arrived today. A set of Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure. I went with 255/70/18's but they can wait for now.

Sorry, no pics today but I will get some soon!

Post #223567512th Jun 2021 6:08 pm
DWDG

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

classic kev wrote:
Whilst faffing about outside this evening the sun on the paint really showed how well it had polished up, the flakes in the paint really popped.

Here's a couple of pics

You can see a deep reflection in the paint and the metallic flakes catching the sun. I was pleased with it so thought I'd share Smile

Added one of mine I took today. It’s just looks so good in the right light.
 2007 Discovery 3 HSE Lugano Teal
2011 BMW 520d Touring Sophisticato Grey
2000 Porsche Boxster 2.7 Arena Red
2002 Porsche 911 3.6 C4 Cabriolet Artic Silver - sold last year
1987 Porsche 944S Black - sold last year
2006 Discovery 3 HSE Buckingham Blue - sold last year
2012 Ford Grand CMax Panther Black (wife’s) wish we’d sold that instead! 

Post #223591213th Jun 2021 10:31 pm
classic kev

DWDG that's looking mighty fine Thumbs Up Lugano Teal really pops in the sun, good job.

Anyway, today my used front grille arrived so naturally I set about cutting it up! I'm quite pleased with the results, I will get the grille painted to match the rest of the car but for now it will do. Just waiting on a relay then I can do the wiring.

Now, here's a thing and I think I'm going to need some help here. I put the grille on the car and wanted to see it in all it's glory so started the car and moved it outside. Engine light came on saying egr issue..... that's odd, they are brand new and there was no issue yesterday. Reset with IID tool, no problem. Then, BONG! Sytem Fault, special programs not available and engine won't rev over about 2.5k and has no power.

Put the IID back on, no faults logged, no warning lights on. Checked brake lights - all working. I looked at the turbo actuator linkage when I did the egr valves, it was free and moved easily. I wondered if it was a battery voltage issue. The battery is essentially new, but to rule it out I tied both batteries and put some jump leads across from the tractor. All to no avail, special programs still no worky and engine won't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Yes I have also done a hard reset, it didn't work. This is just so random. Should I pull the battery and remove the ecu's and clean the connectors? Anything I can check before going with a hit and hope diagnostic session.

I just don't get it. Any suggestions please?

Post #223601314th Jun 2021 3:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 15 <123 45 ... 131415>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >