Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Warranty Direct Betterment Clause, (or get out clause)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3
Warranty Direct Betterment Clause, (or get out clause)

So put in my first claim today to WD and to be fair they have Ok'd it and the garage is putting in a new right hand side EGR. However what I was told on the phone 7 months ago does not marry up to what I was told today. My car is first regd sept 2005 so is just over 7 years of age. On the mileage it has just done 63k. I was told when I took the policy the betterment was by mileage or by age. Today I was told this is not the case and it purely age, hence they will only pay 60% of any parts.

Factor in the excess I have to pay and this policy is essentially worthless. I would not have taken it out if this was the case and just put some cash aside for further issues which are seemingly inevitable.

I know some have negotiated betterment being taken off the policy but they refused to do this for me. I am trying to find the e-mail from the sales man who flogged the product confirming what he said but am not pleased. Has anyone else been told the same, had issues regarding this?

I read the small print 10 times, asked them a number of questions and also got numerous points of view from people on this website but still seemingly have missed this or was just lied too by them. For £500 quid I would have hoped the policy would cover more than 60% of the parts, especially when their indy dealer rates are so low too. (don't know a single landrover dealer who are less than £60.00 an hour) in the South at least.

If they don't budge then I wont renew next year, financially doesn't make sense. (assuming belts don't snap, turbo blows..... Whistle )

any suggestions ? prior experience

thanks James
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #10821222nd Apr 2013 4:18 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Had a read of T&Cs, as below, never bothered before as got "no betterment" as part of the policy.

Click image to enlarge

It is indeed "or" but it oesnt say "whichever comes first", even though that's how I interpret it. All your phone calks are recorded, if you think you were told something that's not correct you can get a copy of the conversation.

From the table above you woud get 70% of the parts cost and 100% of the labour.

PS You can get main dealer rates which cover up to £200/hour ISTR.

Post #10821252nd Apr 2013 4:31 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It's one of the reasons why I did not renew - they were quite fair with claims made whilst the policy was in force but I viewed the increased betterment 'contribution' as not one I was prepared to pay.

Kept my money for other things Thumbs Up

ps. My indie is £48 per hour Very Happy

Post #10821282nd Apr 2013 4:39 pm
Mr Kington

DSL totally agree. The 60% is wrong anyway as the car isn't older than 8 years...... so worst case it is 70% of parts. But re reading this it isn't clear that age is the depending factor. It mentions an age or mileage. As mentioned my car hasn't done that many miles but do appreciate it is an older car. (though doesn't look it as I keep it pristine !)

will let you know what they say, will be a big deciding factor on renewal next year. Appreciate your response and suggestions,,,,
Post #10821302nd Apr 2013 4:43 pm
Mr Kington

Maplecottage I am not that far from Cambridge ! who do you use if you don't mind my asking ? I use Alymer Motors and they are really good, but £66 an hour. We only have the one car so when it breaks we are pretty screwed so they always manage to get it in or keep it running until they can fix it.

He mentioned today that one of the main dealers near us are now £180 an hour labour.
Post #10821332nd Apr 2013 4:46 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

I'm lucky in that they were throwing everything in when I gout my first policy almost 3 years ago, thereafter I just said i want the same cover (or went through the list) and got it. Now over 100k miles so taking off the betterment slice would really bite. Daft thing was it cost £50 (or so) for no betterment and I got an extra month thrown in. Confused

What to haggle in:

ExtraCare
No betterment
Airbags & emissions
Dealer rates
Club discount
13 months for 12

Only thing they wouldn't budge on was loosing the excess. Renewed last summer for £1,200 for 2 years, already had half of that back.

Post #10821362nd Apr 2013 4:52 pm
Mr Kington

Will see what I can get them agree too. Interesting how the garage today were quite took back that the egr was ok'd anyway. They hate doing warranty work as the hours WD will ok means they make very little profit blah
Post #10821382nd Apr 2013 4:55 pm
Dizzykebab

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

They sent my second quote out wrong and quoted me the price for the lower package whereas it stated it was for the top level of cover Rolling with laughter so they had to honour it as I had it in writing so I paid £60 extra to get parts up to 100%

Post #10821622nd Apr 2013 5:40 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Excellent mistake!! Thumbs Up Laughing

Post #10821642nd Apr 2013 5:42 pm
SGH

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4

DSL wrote:
I'm lucky in that they were throwing everything in when I gout my first policy almost 3 years ago, thereafter I just said i want the same cover (or went through the list) and got it. Now over 100k miles so taking off the betterment slice would really bite. Daft thing was it cost £50 (or so) for no betterment and I got an extra month thrown in. Confused

What to haggle in:

ExtraCare
No betterment
Airbags & emissions
Dealer rates
Club discount
13 months for 12

Only thing they wouldn't budge on was loosing the excess. Renewed last summer for £1,200 for 2 years, already had half of that back.

Just had quote today on my 2007 SE 74,000 miles

Extracare
Dealer Rates
70% of parts

£730.00 should i be able to get this down anymore as they are calling me back later today Confused
 Defender 300Tdi 110 HCP - Keswick Green
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Montalcino Red/Black Pack - Gone
Connect L2 Double Cab - Moondust Silver
Connect L1 - Moondust Silver
VW California Ocean 150PS DSG - Reflex Silver 

Post #111047330th May 2013 10:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mr Kington

depends on how hard you push and when there targets are set on the sales front. We are at the end of the month so if the sales guys are trying to get as much through as they can before tomorrow they might drop their pants a bit more than at the beginning of the month.

I got caught out with WD as I still think their betterment is ambiguous. Doesn't make it clear whether it is age or mileage dependant. Hence check how long the 70% contribution lasts in relation to your current mileage or age as it could drop down to 60% during the policy.
Post #111047830th May 2013 11:20 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

That is similar to my quote last September for Securecare. I had 13 months cover for the premium, had Emmissions and Airbags thrown in and option to have dealer do work. Betterment at 70% despite my mileage exceeding the norm, so I contribute 25% of parts . Oh, and they would commit to renew the policy this year at same premium and cover irrespective of the mileage. So far they paid out on one claim without issue.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #111048230th May 2013 11:27 am
SGH

I have used WD before on my last D3 and had no issues but vehicle had low miles on it.

WD cover with dealer rates is possibly better than LR select cover at same price.

I will try haggling later on when they call back. Smile

Post #111048530th May 2013 11:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SGH

Well I managed to get ExtraCare with no betterment and dealer rates for £675.00

Post #111059330th May 2013 4:14 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

SGH wrote:
Well I managed to get ExtraCare with no betterment and dealer rates for £675.00

Thumbs Up
Now you face that dilemma - wanting things to go wrong so you get you monies worth whilst not wanting anything to cause you the aggro of getting it fixed Rolling with laughter
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #111060230th May 2013 4:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >