Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

What Harmon Kardon amp do I need?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
jack2006

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Few pictures of conversion

Original display screen and IHU module (base vehicle spec). The connections to these two units had to be cut off and an in-line connector was fitted to allow re-connection of both the original screen and IHU or fitting of upgraded Touchscreen and IAM. There were various wiring mods to do......

Jack

Last edited by jack2006 on 1st Nov 2013 10:38 am. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #117469419th Oct 2013 8:53 pm
jack2006

MOST fibre optic cables

The connections for LR are made up of 2 parts.The inner can be seen that locates the 2 fibre optic cables and the outer shell that adapts the inner housing to LR module. To remove the cables the blue plastic retainer needs to be removed and then the plastic 'catch' lifted. Selection of fibre optic cables brought off ebay from car audio shop.

Jack

Last edited by jack2006 on 1st Nov 2013 10:39 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #117492320th Oct 2013 2:34 pm
jack2006

Modified LR Sat Nav aerial

To get the sat nav aerial to fit into the upper rear brake light housing without removing the brake light required a bit of modification to the original design involving cutting of cast base.

Last edited by jack2006 on 1st Nov 2013 10:40 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #117492720th Oct 2013 2:42 pm
jack2006

D4 Touchscreen 2012

Applications status where descriptions of modules fitted are given. Whistle

Jack

Last edited by jack2006 on 30th Oct 2013 11:40 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #117493020th Oct 2013 2:52 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hiya Jack

Thanks for the Photo's

You have certainly been very brave and most resourceful. Bow down I love your speaker Mods and i do like your approach and methodology of adding a whole new set of wiring for the speakers to leave your existing speaker wiring in place.

I fitted the same GPS antennea to my D3 and also gave up on removing the High Level Brake light cover. So i just left mine wrapped in foam in the inner upper tailgate trim and it did seem to work fine in respect of getting the correct position, however since Cyprus has never been included in the Maps, it just shows me driving around in the sea. At least it meant i had no use of Black Blobs Rolling with laughter

I also have reason to curse a lack of knowledge at the time on installing a GPS antennea as it seems RRS and FFRR's have this in the Fin.

I mentioned the Amp part nubers because although you state the Amp you are using is from a 2011 HSE, as the part number starts with a C for 2012, i wonder if this is not actually from a Later vehicle which is also supported in that it works with an IAM rather than an IHU.

Quote:
Tried PREMIUM 16 from a 2012 Jag XF ref BJ32-19C164-BF AUD3 and it was not recognised .

Again the B in the part number suggests that this is a 2011 part designed for an IHU rather than an IAM which might be why it did not work.

As ever, endless questions Whistle

Also many thanks for posting up the picture of your Base Spec IAM equivilent.

Last i checked i could find no circuit diagram or information for this 2012 base spec system on Topix at all, so it is really nice to see.

Post #117502520th Oct 2013 5:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jack2006

Hi Colin,

Glad you like install and pictures, my wife has not been so keen!! She cannot understand why I brought a year old car and then ripped it apart, hmm she might have a point Whistle

Just been and had a look at the HSE amp fitted in my D4 as part of upgrade and its got a s/n sticker with date stamp on of 06-10-2011. So I guess this would be date of manufacture but perhaps aimed at 2012 fit with later IAM?

Looking at the Jag amplifier that has s/n date sticker with 27-02-2012 I would have thought that amp is also later type for IAM. Whilst doing the upgrade I downloaded the Jag audio system schematics/detail from Topix for the XF and it uses IAM and Touchscreen same as D4, hence my thought that it might work. Because I could get nothing out of it I brought the HSE amp from a USA breaker with the Touchscreen and IAM from UK breaker (same vehicle apparently) and DAB module from different UK breaker.

I have had both amps apart (being electronics engineer just cannot help myself!) and the hardware is the same in both, hence the thought that the firmware might be different between the 2 amps to allow for different acoustics between Jag and D4. However these amplifiers from a hardware point of view are significantly different than the ones used on the D3 and also form the early ones used in the D4 that were located under drivers seat. Those amplifiers physically looking very much like the D3 ones.

Cheers,

Jack

Post #117509620th Oct 2013 7:25 pm
jack2006

Patch harness connections

Amplifier and DAB module now mounted on new mounting frame on rear d/s quarter panel.

Wiring is still 'work in progress' with DAB unit whilst trying to sort out lack of reception.

Jack

Last edited by jack2006 on 31st Oct 2013 12:10 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #117513920th Oct 2013 8:00 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Quote:
my wife has not been so keen!! She cannot understand why I brought a year old car and then ripped it apart, hmm she might have a point

Ah, you just have to put it in terms your wife can relate to.

This typically involves terms like sales, bargain and saving.

Here is a good one to use.

The premium Audio in the new RRS is a 5000 GBP option.

or you could try

I am retro fitting capabilty at a fraction of what it would cost to just buy it at the regular price.

Either way, from my own experience, i can tell you that nothing seems to feel or work better or be more appreciated than that you created and made possible through your own hard work and effort.

We used to live in the outskirts of Oxford, where we had a lot of squirrels that would cheekily rob nuts from a bird box and my wife loved to see them.

She lost this when we moved to Cyprus and so, although i am by no means an artist, i spent a few days drawing a pencil sketch of the bird box and a squirrel stealing the nuts as best i could recall from memory.

It was by no means perfect, but in her eyes, no Picasso or Mona Lisa could ever be more valuable.

So have no doubt, you are not just doing this to make your D4 into something you could have just bought, or for the sake of some bargain or saving.

And i for one understand, commend and appreciate your efforts and in the end you will have something rather unique and especially enjoyable.

ATB

Colin

Post #117563521st Oct 2013 8:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jack2006

Thanks Colin,

Strange you must be psychic!, we did have the conversation about why I did not go for these options at the time !!

To be fair when she heard it working I think the concept became obvious and understood why I kept moaning that the base system was different after my previous D3 with the HK system.

Quote:
She lost this when we moved to Cyprus and so, although i am by no means an artist, i spent a few days drawing a pencil sketch of the bird box and a squirrel stealing the nuts as best i could recall from memory.

This sentiment I can understand after we moved and worked in France a few years ago with our youngest.

Lots of good memories (apart from the local tax office and 'exports' to the UK with my manufacturing business), on reflection it was most of the things to do with the business that caused us problems, hmm best not admit that, but guess my wife knows!

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited by jack2006 on 31st Oct 2013 12:11 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #117576521st Oct 2013 11:25 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya Jack

I am not exactly psychic, just experienced in having been there before, and i can certainly recognise someone who also shares the same hunger, drive and appreciation of a technical challenge and
a desire for knowledge and deep rooted understanding that very few posess nowadays.
Sometimes it is not enough to know THAT it works, and you really need to know how and why before you can fully enjoy it.

When i fitted the Logic 7 to my D3, having had the 4 x 25 watt 4 speaker base system and then the 6 x 50 watt hi line before it, i really and totally enjoyed the power and sound of the 12 x 50 watts of the logic 7 all the more so in that it was me that i had to thank for this mega sound.

However there was what others would regard as a difficult problem, but to the likes of you and me just an interesting puzzle to enjoy getting to the bottom of and solving.

Hit a bump and i would loose all audio for a few seconds. Open the upper tailgate and i would loose it until closed.

I finally figured out the cause for this which is actually shown here

Click image to enlarge

With a then lack of Most bus cabling i was forced to mount my Telephone and TMC units in the front and chop the mounting Lugs off the TMC unit to be able to cable tie it to the side of the heater box. Of course as you can see in the picture this meant that there was no direct Earth to the TMC Unit which it normally gets via its mounting lugs.

So Earth was being suppiled soley to the TMC unit only via its coaxial connection to the TMC antennea amplifier mounted in the upper tailgate. On higher spec vehicles there is an earth wire over the Hinge but in my vehicle the earthe was suppiled only via the Hinge pin itself.

Hence a bump would temporarily interrupt the Earth to the upper tailgate and then the TMC causing it to reboot during which it broke the fibre optic loop to the AMP for a couple of seconds and of course more permanently whenever the upper tailgate was opened.

My experience of this understanding of the need to supply a ground to the TMC module has helped me many times since in fault finding most bus problems.

ATB

Colin

Post #117657223rd Oct 2013 7:02 pm
jack2006

Hi Colin,

As you point out grounding can be a nightmare and we would see this as a challenge (we must be really sad!). Razz

The biggest problem I have found at work is when strange things are happening with throttle control loops or 'dropping out' of the data logging from either RS422 or CAN bus lines. Inevitably it usually ends up that they have either removed some grounds, grounded both ends of screened leads resulting in ground loops or grounding one side of a differential amp input so it becomes unbalanced and happily amplifies the electrical noise around it and with spark ignition engines you get plenty of that!

Cheers,

Jack

Post #117660523rd Oct 2013 7:46 pm
jack2006

LR4 Infotainment Upgrade

All done and finally end of this post,

Achieved my upgrade from basic audio system on LR4 MY12 to Harmon Kardon Logic 7 Premium system.

Facilities:-

AM/FM Analogue radio
DAB radio (reception a bit poor but looking at the internal window antennas...hmm.....)
DVD - Music CD's and Video
Sat Nav
Voice control over infotainment
Fuel burning heater timer
Logic 7 surround sound - 14 speaker system

All done, back to paid work now!!

Jack

Post #11841588th Nov 2013 12:49 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

That is really great news Jack.

Congratulations, you must be very chuffed with yourself Thumbs Up

To go with the bits i already have, I have just got my hands on a couple of 2012 D4 HSE Main looms, an additional dash loom, and the premium amp, which is the same as yours, along with other bits like the single view screen, IAM with HDD, TV module etc, to help me with my 2010/11 to 2012 infotainment upgrades.

I do have a question you might be able to help with.
On the old 2010 premium logic 7 systems which are the same as pre 2010 i know you have also had before, the amp is 12 x 50 = 600 watt output although they do not use one of the channels.
Amp channels are used like this :
2 for the dual coil sub woofer
2 for the rear D pillar speakers
2 for the rear doors with 2 speakers sharing a channel in each door
4 for the front doors with the Bass having one and the Mid and tweeter sharing the other
1 for the centre of dash speaker

As you see the new 2012 Logic 7 premium amp says 16 channels and i read it is supposed to be a 1200 watt system which is double the power.

In the 2012 loom i checked, i only counted 12 pairs of even heavier duty speaker wires.
I guess this could be a High line loom but then the number of speakers does not seem to change and so does not match up
So the question is How many speaker pairs do you have coming from your AUD3-16 premium amp and where do they go?

Also, does it seem like you now have double the power of the old Logic 7 system?

BTW now having both the AUD-16 amps from the D4 and the XF Jag, i hope to be able to get to the bottom of why the Jag one does not work and hopefully a way to reprogram it so it does and of course will let you know

Post #11844028th Nov 2013 4:50 pm
jack2006

Hi Colin,

Its was a deep sigh, but now need to find something else to mess with!!

Really wished I had got a HSE loom it would have made my life a lot easier Big Cry, certainly think you have the best idea with this approach Thumbs Up

I think that the 16 channel bit is LR marketing because I only could find 14 speakers on their marketing documents and the schematics agree with this, unless you take into account the headphones??

Probably got this wrong but whilst digging around I came to the conclusion that the amp I have is 800 odd watts and the 1200 watt was the Bowers & Wilkins one?

Finished amendments to my schematic to show 'as fitted' and posted in gallery along with the LR premium schematic for 2012my. Also uploaded the Topix location JPG's showing Amp, Touchscreen etc with connection ref which relate to the high-line schematic.

The speakers I have are as follows:-

Surround sound - 3 Channels

2 in rear D Pillars - LR OEM parts due to space limitation
1 In front centre of dash - LR OEM parts due to space limitation

1 sub-woofer in rear tailgate - 2 channels - LR OEM part

Rear doors - 4 Channels

1 Tweeter
1 Woofer

Front Doors - 6 Channels

1 Tweeter
1 Mid
1 Woofer

With regard to sound power, I know its a bit subjective but my old D3 had Logic 7 and this one is a lot more powerful, so I would say a significant increase in sound. Apart from the LR speakers all of my others are 4 ohm Focal speakers, so they would not deliver the same power output as the original LR 2 ohm specified ones.

Quote:
BTW now having both the AUD-16 amps from the D4 and the XF Jag, i hope to be able to get to the bottom of why the Jag one does not work and hopefully a way to reprogram it so it does and of course will let you know

It would be good to be able to re-configure the jag amp and look forward to any progress you make on this. Thumbs Up

If you need any more info please let me know,

Jack

Post #11845198th Nov 2013 9:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >