Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Warranty Direct
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

After much research (and helpful comments from people on here) I have gone down the WD route.

Frankly their business model is very odd, internet and initial telephone quotes are astronomical but can easilly beaten down. For the options I wanted on a 54 plate 65k D3 they initially wanted nearly £1200 Whistle

After 3 long phone calls to them I ended up with their Extra Care policy, airbag and emissions option (to deal with those pesky EGR valves), 10 interest free monthly payments for £670 per year.

I knew it was always going to be pricey at this age and mileage and I don't feel ecstatic at shelling out 670 quid but with the options included and for the piece of mind I don't think that its a bad deal.

The only thing that they absolutely wouldn't budge on (which I know some early posters managed to negotiate) was the instant wear and tear option, so looks like hoping that nothing wears out for 90 days Laughing

Post #64215328th Apr 2010 11:08 am
Dented Disco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Just a note on the 90 day delay wear and tear cover...

My Land Rover extended warranty was due to expire so started to look at options to replace it with some thing cheaper

Got an on-line quote from WD and waited for the phone to ring (thanks for the tip there guy`s) Thumbs Up
However by the time we sorted the price / haggled the existing Land Rover warranty had then expired! Shocked
I was concerned that I would get the 90 day wear and tear delay as it was now out of warranty ,as the policy states the vehicle needs to have an existing warranty to get instant wear and tear cover

I explained that it had only finished 10 days ago and they said "no problem", as you have 30 days any way from a policy ending to starting a new one with them to get instant cover .Handy to know if time is running out for you to get the right price.

PS. Quoted on line £807 for extra care on MY 05 HSE ended up being £ 575 with air bags & emissions options
strange way to do business because if I had not read this thread first I would have dismissed it as to high!

Post #64255728th Apr 2010 11:17 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Dented Disco wrote:

PS. Quoted on line £807 for extra care on MY 05 HSE ended up being £ 575 with air bags & emissions options
strange way to do business because if I had not read this thread first I would have dismissed it as to high!

I guess that yours ended up £100 less than mine because mine is slightly older and has not been covered by a warranty since the LR one ran out over 2 years ago.

It seems that we are starting to build up a good picture of how WD pricing structure actually works in this thread, which hopefully will be very useful for anyone else looking to buy a warranty

Post #64263029th Apr 2010 9:27 am
Alex08

Scotland 

It has already - rather than have long negotiating calls I was able to tell the salesman that through the forum I knew what they had offered others with similar cars/milage in the way of extras included and finance and suggested that there was no point in long discussions. He agreed, we settled the details of things like exhaust/emissions/ICE equipment, instant cover, 13 months for 12, reduced excess etc, sorted a price and it was done in 10mins.

So much less grief thanks to this thread. Well done chaps. Thumbs Up

Post #64263429th Apr 2010 9:33 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

Alex,

What did you pay and how old is your vehicle if you don't mind me asking?
 PAGODA  
Post #64272429th Apr 2010 12:43 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Don't expect Warranty Direct to cover an EPB fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Well - it is a rare occurrence, isn't it? NOT

They happily list as "covered" what is normally found in a handbrake system, and wriggle out because they say an electrical device is not a "linkage", whereas I contend that anything that links my pulling on the control lever and the brake shoe assembly expanding into place is a linkage

Which LR magazine will be best to give them pain in? Any ideas?

Evil or Very Mad
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #64277429th Apr 2010 3:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
goodfella

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just done an online quote for extra care (£1007) so will wait for the inevitable phone calls to negotiate and as above I think I'll be stipulating EPB cover if I can get it.

Also, has everybody signed up for franchise dealer rates?? Was considering their Network Repairers but know idea who they are. Does anyone know if its a national chain like Nationwide Auto Centres or a collection of independants?
 Badda bing.......How you doin'?

Java black SE, standard spec. Clean and shiny.

Club TFC - Off Road Essentials
Club Tesco Finest Warranty
Club G4 Stickers even though it's not a G4
Club Rhino Rack 

Post #64280729th Apr 2010 4:19 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Evasion Direct

Just got Warranty Direct's letter.

Reason is that the item is not listed individually by name in their policy document.

So don't expect cover for rocker box, rocker box gasket, valve cotters, valve springs, valves, cylinder head, head gasket, pistons, piston rings, oil seals, cotter pins, con rods, big ends, bid end bolts................. I could go on for 120,000 or so parts.

If "engine" covers the above, then "handbrake" covers the whole EPB IMHO, but not in theirs. Tread carefully.

Copley's man started off saying "they're always difficult" before we started, and finished off with "Land Rover would have covered this" as I paid up £487.25 Big Cry Big Cry

But I have the old unit! Off Topic I'm going to dissect it (in the attic during a thunderstorm...) and post piccies. Now I'll find out which bit screams - it's amazing that no-one actually knows what bit generates the noise....
Post #64284529th Apr 2010 6:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewW

Bump.

Still fuming at Warranty Direct. Not written my letter yet. Evil or Very Mad

If there is an obsessive D3 owner out there who has a list of every nut, bolt, clip etc that makes up a D3, it would be an idea to send that to Warranty Direct and ask them to tick off which bits they like and which they don't. With an explanation as to why. Then you might know what to expect when a common fault occurs.

Caveat emptor
Post #64303529th Apr 2010 11:52 pm
AndrewW

Welcome to my personal thread / obsession... Embarassed

Jotted the details down in an e-mail to Honest John (Daily Telegraph motoring "agony uncle") who replied briskly and is planning something (TBA).

Just need to decide which LR magazine would be likely to assist / support....

A
Post #6434661st May 2010 12:48 am
goodfella

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just signed up for cover after an initial online quote of £1009 for my 54 plate SE 51k miles they offered me the Luxury Care Package with wear and tear, emissions, turbo and EPB covered for £450. 12 interest free instalments at £37.50 and main dealer repairs!

Very happy with that as no real increase on what I have been paying on the Tesco Finest Warranty. Seems a bit cheaper than some quotes on here so think I need to check the paperwork when it comes through. Laughing

Was sure to ask about EPB cover given Andrew W's comments and as I currently have cover from Tesco they gave me the Luxury Cover even though I wasn't given that option online due to age/mileage. Online quote was for the Extra Care.
 Badda bing.......How you doin'?

Java black SE, standard spec. Clean and shiny.

Club TFC - Off Road Essentials
Club Tesco Finest Warranty
Club G4 Stickers even though it's not a G4
Club Rhino Rack 

Post #6445244th May 2010 9:58 am
748scratcher

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I took my policy out in Feb to start when LR one finished, I got them to confirm in writing that the EPB motors were covered on the policy ,

Which they have done Thumbs Up ,
it seems that as we all take out a policy with them we are asking more questions on what they cover and depending on who you talk to @WD decides what cost and what cover you receive, I found this thread a great staring point to open negotiation on the second call from them ,
I've done better than some and worse than others,

I have just sent in the paperwork to reclaim the cost of 2 front wheel bearings, it will be interesting to see how quickly they send the cheque to me as I had to pay upfront as I used main agent for the repairs.

Post #6446704th May 2010 2:04 pm
KevB

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My Tesco warrenty runs out this month so may give WD a call for a price. Tesco would not pay out or my EPB failure, so i never got value out of thier warranty Sad

Post #6453375th May 2010 11:55 pm
pcregeen

2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I asked WD for a quote on an 05 plate RRS with 50k miles on it. They started at 900 and i told them i was not interested in messing about and asked to speak straight to a manager.

At the moment i have them at £459 for 13 months extra care policy and that includes the air bag and emissions section for the EGR valve but with an excess. I have told them if they include the EPB motors and bump the cover up to the luxury care that i will sign up today. Am now awaiting a call back but to be honest, at that price, I will go with them whatever.

I would just tell any future owner to just say you want it for under £500 or no deal regardless of anything else.

Will keep you all updated on the call back.

Pete

Post #64769711th May 2010 4:38 pm
KevB

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mine came up at £761 online and they phoned today and offered me it for £661 but i knocked the offer back. That was for Secure Care without the extras (Airbags etc). Think for that money I would rather take my chances without a warranty.

Post #64789711th May 2010 10:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >