Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Changing Bushes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
reb78

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3
Changing Bushes

Whenever we talk about the front arms on the D3, folks seem to opt for buying new arms with bushes fitted. Why is this? I have changed all bushes on my 110 and have a press and tools to get them in/out, so should I be saving lots of pounds and doing the same on the D3??

Post #20659574th Jul 2019 1:02 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I replaced mine with Superpro.
If I hadn't been changing for Superpro I would have just changed the arms as the difference in cost between new arms and new bushes and ball joint isn't all that much.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #20659664th Jul 2019 1:23 pm
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

reb78 wrote:
Whenever we talk about the front arms on the D3, folks seem to opt for buying new arms with bushes fitted. Why is this? I have changed all bushes on my 110 and have a press and tools to get them in/out, so should I be saving lots of pounds and doing the same on the D3??

Give it a go.

Only people like me who haven't the time or tools to do the pressing of the bushes will continue to get the complete arms or have an indie press in the LCA rear bushes as necessary (poly, instead of the short lived hydrabush from LR).

But if you have the skills, tools and time, go for it I say. Smile
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #20659694th Jul 2019 1:26 pm
reb78

highlands wrote:
I replaced mine with Superpro.
If I hadn't been changing for Superpro I would have just changed the arms as the difference in cost between new arms and new bushes and ball joint isn't all that much.

Is that using LR Genuine bushes? I was looking at the prices and Meyle/Delphi bushes are only £12-£20 and ball joints around £20 so thats a only a spend of around £55 per arm - thats quite a saving??

Post #20659724th Jul 2019 1:30 pm
reb78

LeighW wrote:
reb78 wrote:

Give it a go.

Only people like me who haven't the time or tools to do the pressing of the bushes will continue to get the complete arms or have an indie press in the LCA rear bushes as necessary (poly, instead of the short lived hydrabush from LR).

But if you have the skills, tools and time, go for it I say. Smile

I have SORNED the D3 for a month to sort out various issues sinking suspension, rear prop centre bush and play in the lower arm bushes etc..

I already know the answer, but if one bush is worn, i presume all on the same arm ought to be changed??

Post #20659734th Jul 2019 1:32 pm
Browny90

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Re: Changing Bushes

reb78 wrote:

Just to mention, Defender bushes are much easier to remove/ fit than the D4.

I had the same thought a couple of years ago, I did one side and it was a pain! mainly due to the shape of the arms in my 30t press. Obv the Defender radius arms are flat and easy to press in and out..

By all means give it a go, then get a set of old arms on here (probably for free) replace the bushes and sell them on with an exchange policy so you can do the same again Thumbs Up Wink

I think ive become lazy and realised that my time is the most valuable thing to me so I just opt for trying the bolts, if they don't budge after 15 minutes I just cut them out and replace the full arm and bolts, for the extra cost I'm happy in saving time..
 Disco4 MY16 SDV6 Landmark Black
Disco4 MY12 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey (Gone)
Defender 90 200tdi Completely rebuilt. 

Post #20659824th Jul 2019 1:46 pm
reb78

Yep - this is my concern, if things dont shift, do you damage the arms removing them or is it ok for access to just cut the bolts out?

I did the A frame bushes and ball joint on the 110 last week in about an hour - I was so suprised at how quickly i managed it that I thought it cant be that hard on the D3 can it.... ?!? I do have the luxury of a lift as well....

Post #20659954th Jul 2019 2:26 pm
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I brought a set of old arms from somebody else on here that had swapped them out, then changed the bushes in them before fitting them to my D3.

It was harder getting the old bushes out than putting the new ones in, although I do have access to a press.

It worked out way cheaper to do that, and I didn't have the car up on stands for hours whilst I fought the bushes.

One point to note though is the bushes have to be orientated correctly in the arms, and of course the suspension should be at normal working height when everything is tightened up so the bushes are not pre-stressed.

Nasher.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #20660214th Jul 2019 4:16 pm
reb78

Thanks - thats not a bad idea.

With old bushes, I tend to cut the inners out (drill bit through the rubber and pull the centre out), then cut part way through the outer sleeve and use a pneumatic air chisel to push it out. Pressing them out is harder work than it seems it should be!

Post #20660224th Jul 2019 4:19 pm
Nasher

Yep, drill, cut, chisel etc, but still a struggle.

Nasher.
Post #20660254th Jul 2019 4:27 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I did both my fronts without a press, hardest most time consuming was cutting the bolts out with a cheapo reciprocating saw. Getting the bushes out was no problem , cleaned the arms up and internal bush housing, put the bushes in the freezer for 1/2 hour, warmed the arm bush housing up with a blow torch , two blows with a rubber hammer and bushes where in, no problem. One hours job to do each arm, a coat of Hamerite to finish off.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #20661114th Jul 2019 10:10 pm
reb78

Ok, I think I am decided - I will crack on and change the bushes and save some dosh. Are the Meyle or Delphi bushes on the AF site ok or is this a case of genuine parts only? I have never been keen on polybushes.....

Post #20661985th Jul 2019 9:50 am
Nasher

One more tip is to cut a slot in the retaining ring that the brake pipe connects to rather than disconnect the brakes and have to bleed them. Can't remember if that's the back or fronts though.

All the bolts came out of mine with no issues by the way.

I'll have a look over the weekend to see if I still have the arms and knackered bushes that I took off My D3 if you do want to do what I did.

Nasher.
Post #20662155th Jul 2019 10:38 am
reb78

Thanks - did similar on the 110 so I could adjust teh swivels without disconnecting the brake lines too! Handy to know.

If you had your old arms, that would be really handy - let me know if you find them and what you would like for them/postage. Thanks!

Post #20662385th Jul 2019 12:22 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If you are paying someone else's labour to replace the bushes, then it can work out more expensive than putting a new arm on

D3 front upper arms are a perfect example

Complete genuine arm, with 2 new bushes and new ball joint - £63.44 + VAT
Genuine bushes* are £40 + VAT each Laughing
The ball joint being another £35 + VAT
And then the additional labour to replace bushes and joint

*Cheaper bushes are available. This is just an argument I had with LR Approved warranty. They wouldn't cover replacing the arms, only the bushes Laughing
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #20662425th Jul 2019 12:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >