Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

D4 Heated steering wheel and tiptronic conversion.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You need to make sure the airbag earth is connected and a seperate earth from the pin on the clockspring

you can't just connect a positive .. You need the negative aswell ( any earth point or battery neg will do )
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #5982896th Feb 2010 6:56 pm
StepanT

Czech Republic 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Negative is drawn from the eathing point behind the kick panel. I have tried to switch the polarity, but that does not do anything (not even the momentary blink).
Back again, same behaviour as before. I need to start the engine, pull the heating switch, it turns orange for a second agoes out again ...
 D3 LE James Cook, 2,7 TDV6 auto  
Post #5982996th Feb 2010 7:06 pm
buellbeast

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Are you using an in-line fuse and what size? Mine would'nt work until i put a 10amp in. Have you plugged in the 4 pin connector into the black box from the wheel it has 2 blue and 2 black wires.

Post #5983076th Feb 2010 7:13 pm
StepanT

This one?

I did not find where to plug it in. So its unplugged at the moment.
Post #5983106th Feb 2010 7:16 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

That will be your problem then
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #5983116th Feb 2010 7:20 pm
buellbeast

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

You'll need to remove the plastic rear cover from the wheel. Remove the rubber block holding in the wheel ecu and it plug into that

Post #5983136th Feb 2010 7:22 pm
StepanT

Nasty little box Very Happy At least now I know how to replace the steering wheel in under 2 minutes Very Happy
And my hands are warm, warm, warm Very Happy
I owe you one, guys. Thanks for your help!

And for the record - the positive goes down on the outside clock spring connector
Post #5983266th Feb 2010 7:48 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Ive been doing a bit more messing arround this week on the Tiptronic/Command shift for the D4 trying to make an easer install and without having to make any software changes.

Basicly i needed to make it possibile to fit paddles that work without the need for software changes on the car, and also a it that can be posted out and fitted by the user without a workshop visit to me etc.

And i think im 99% there with a plug and play kit, part bought in and modifyed and part made which ill explane a bit later.
The good news is that the kit will also work i think on the older RRS and D3's Very Happy
Im unsure yet about the paddles/switches on the older stuff because i dont think its possibile YET to fit the later paddle type wheel as i have on the D4 from the RRS2010.
So if a nice comfortable location could be found on the standard D3 wheel wih space for a couple of extra buttons to use instead of paddles we are cooking.

Here are a few pics of a new screen on the Ipac what most of you will have never seen on a D4 Mr. Green
The first pictures are the normal S mode screens as you will have already seen on the standard car.

The last 2 pictures are the new screen that comes up when using the paddles when you are just still in D or Drive without selecting sport mode just as on the RRS 2010. Smile

And the new added function of command/tiptronic in D mode also.

Pete

Post #60111710th Feb 2010 9:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ecosse

Pete - I just wish that LR would have the gear in use show while in "D" Rolling Eyes - as you have with the paddle shift ie D1, D2 etc - Audi manage it with the Sportronic/DSG box, and it's quite useful at times knowing which gear is engaged in Auto.

Post #60112610th Feb 2010 9:54 pm
bellautos

Yes i agree it can be usefull to know what gear the car is in even though its a auto, ill see if i can find it somewhere to enable Smile

Pete

Post #60116010th Feb 2010 10:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ecosse

bellautos wrote:
Yes i agree it can be usefull to know what gear the car is in even though its a auto, ill see if i can find it somewhere to enable Smile

Pete

Nice one Pete - I battled unsuccessfully with LR 5 years ago on that point with the D3, so will be rather stunning if you can achieve what their factory technicians couldn't Bow down

Post #60119810th Feb 2010 10:44 pm
bellautos

I think its possibile to do it, im not sure how easy it will be if the car is shifting the gears V us shifting them via command shift.
When i get some spare time ill look into it more.

Pete

Post #60124810th Feb 2010 11:53 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

bellautos wrote:
The last 2 pictures are the new screen that comes up when using the paddles when you are just still in D or Drive without selecting sport mode just as on the RRS 2010. Smile

This would be great as most of the time my vehicle drops a gear by going into sport mode before it processes my upshift request.

Do you think the paddle switches can be made to fit a standard wheel by gouging out a spot to mount them? The paddles would be great but I for one don't need a heated wheel here and the price of a new wheel is somewhat prohibitive.

Are the paddle switches just momentary switches, possibly being replaced by little button switches mounted somewhere on the wheel and connected to the required loom?

It would be great if you can get switches to work for remote customers, including for vehicles like mine without a nav screen.

Post #60125411th Feb 2010 12:04 am
bellautos

GraemeS wrote:

Are the paddle switches just momentary switches, possibly being replaced by little button switches mounted somewhere on the wheel and connected to the required loom?

It would be great if you can get switches to work for remote customers, including for vehicles like mine without a nav screen.

Hi
Yes the switches are momentary switches and i dont see why you could not add any momentary switche you want, i had a conversation yesterday about this regarding the D3 using the same idea.

ill post pictures later today.

Pete

Post #60143211th Feb 2010 12:06 pm
bellautos

A update here.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic46338.html

Post #60180311th Feb 2010 10:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >