Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Disco 3 Euro NCAP Results
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
catweasel

the D3 using the smart car as a soccer/football. the lads from topgear should've used D3's to play their car football instead of those toyota thingies.
anyway, tough it may be but you'd have to be tougher to survive (and been seen in one)

Last edited by catweasel on 30th Jul 2006 9:54 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7451430th Jul 2006 9:47 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

love the thought of that - maybe we could use a prius ( minus the batteries for the remote control) as the ball? 8) Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #7451630th Jul 2006 9:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dldisco3

Belgium 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Or a D3 against that brick wall instead of the smart...

A big bang,
A big hole in the concrete wall,
D3 continuing it's way... Twisted Evil

Post #7452830th Jul 2006 10:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

....and that smart car would have rolled all the way down the rest of that test track at 70 MPH had it not been deliberately constrained by the height of the concrete wall, nobody would have survived that even if the 'peanut' shell had- which I doubt.
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #7453230th Jul 2006 10:38 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Not cynical at all then Wink

I don't think that many peeps would survive either ..everyone forgets the secondary collision of your organs against your bones etc...but I don't doubt the strength of the vehicle structure...the wall BTW is no higher than motorway concrete reservation height.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #7454030th Jul 2006 11:00 pm
randalls

'the wall BTW is no higher than motorway concrete reservation height.'

I am sure it isn't but the flipped small cars I have seen have been on A roads, one went down an embankment near a railway line, after being flipped over a barbed wire fence....the other was flipped on a wide A road afer a minor contact, unfortunately there were no constraining concrete walls available in real life testing......
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #7458831st Jul 2006 12:20 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

randalls wrote:
I am sure it isn't

Come take a trip down to the M25 ...they seem to be making most of the central reservation concrete nowadays Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #7460931st Jul 2006 1:11 am
randalls

take a trip on South African roads....160+ MPH closing speeds, no central reservation at all, and a sacrificial goat/pig/human likely to stray into the road at any time......didnt see any Smart cars there- they had probably been quickly culled in this environment, plenty of D3's though Laughing

Post #7461031st Jul 2006 1:24 am
OffRoader

Finland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Easy to fix the issues

I think that LR could quite easily fix the issues and improve the D3 safety for future revisions in order to gain the 5 star ranking, in the same way as BMW did the improvements to get 5 stars to the X5 (original X5 was 4 star):

Issue 1: Knees hit the hard structures of the dashboard => LR should change the hard plastic material of lower glovebox and the big hard plastic part below the steering wheel to be thicker and SOFTER plastic (or soft rubber). No increased cost, just some redesign work. LR could sell the softer parts as aftermarket accessories to the already sold D3 2004-2006 models also to increase brand loyalty of the current LR owners.

Issue 2: Passanger airbag deactivation light too insible for Euro NCAP's requirements => resign the symbor (use bigger symbol with red led in the dashboard - instead of the very small led that is hard to see in the sunshine).

Now the question is that is LR humble enough to make the required changes - or will it be slow and arrogant and fight against the changes, referring to old heritages. Required changes would not cost much and would be quick to do. Quick and agile companies make fixes quickly and are successfull.

ps. any ideas how would the A-BAR or Nudge bar wraparound influence to the results ?

Offroader
 -- too many modifications made to my Disco 3 to be listed in here --  
Post #7464031st Jul 2006 10:18 am
oliver77

Wales 

Given the amount of occupant movement I would expect, more cushioning probably wouldn't have a significant effect on the results whereas a knee airbag would considerably reduce the effect on the dummy.
Knee airbags were introduced to get better NCAP results as it is widely accepted that in the real world, human limbs react differently to those of the dummy.

Passenger airbag deactivation would be easy to fix, probably just use the US markings.

As for the nudge bar, there is probably no crash data from LR to give an idea on this and assuming that it was bolted to the chassis it should just form part of that structure. Given that it would interfere with the body deformation and energy absorbtion, I would suggust that the occupants would experience higher loading should this be fitted in the test. In the real world it comes back to hitting the smaller car or the big car.

As for the Smart, they look pretty safe but they are just solid, they rely on the crumple zones of the car you hit to protect their occupants. There is a higher probability that you will hit a car with crumple zones than a lorry or something like that.

I would expect that in an impact with the D3, the D3 would either crush it or, it the impact was in the slightest way offset the smart would just be tossed out of the way like a ball.

Post #7464131st Jul 2006 10:25 am
OffRoader

D3 vs. XC90

see D3 vs. XC90 in the results. Actually D3 has more GREEN color for teh passenger (but driver got slightly more yellow):

Click image to enlarge
Post #7464431st Jul 2006 10:35 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Put an OEM A bar on last Saturday...it has no metal in it whatsoever, all hard plastic, foam and a rubberised outer.

Bolted directly onto the front cross beam. I don't think that the bar would interfere greatly in a crash given its construction, in fact I think it might actually provide a softer impact for all those pedestrians that I'm going to hit Rolling Eyes

Last edited by DG on 31st Jul 2006 11:50 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7465931st Jul 2006 11:05 am
OffRoader

D3 vs. 5 star X5>

Click image to enlarge

D3 got 11 points in front crash, X5 got 13 but 5 stars. Looks that D3 was as close to 5 stars as possible.

by the way, the brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee got just 9 points in frontal crash, the driver smashed to the steering wheel like tomato..
Post #7467231st Jul 2006 11:20 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Offroader, you need to use the URL at the bottom of the gallery page to insert pics
   [img]http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10301/normal_d3%20vs%20x5.jpg[/img]

not the address URL
[img]http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10301&pos=0[/img]

I'm not fixing any more Wink
 The End  
Post #7468831st Jul 2006 11:46 am
simkna

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I was talking to the manufacturers of the LR A bar at the Motorshow last week. It really does make an amazing difference to pedestrian safety. I've got the literature somewhere, I will see if I can find it. They are trying to lobby parliament to make fitting of similar foam a bars compulsory. He said they can now also incorporate the same foam technology into the front bumper and achieve the same improvements.

Si.
 Pat's Van
D3 TDV6 S Auto
Rimini Red / Alpacca Leather

Post #7469331st Jul 2006 11:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >