Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Disco 3 Euro NCAP Results
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
oliver77

Wales 

I rubber a bar mounted as described would have little effect on the deformation of the front of a D3.

I'm not too sure about it increasing pedestrian safety?? Can you remember who you spoke to from LR Simkna?

Having this foam over a large constant area of the front of the vehicle would be beneficial but you have to ensure that the bar does not alter pedestrian throw. Jutting out edges low down can have the effect of dragging a pedestrian under the front of the vehicle. Thats why a number of flat fronted vans with large bumbers were taken out of production.

LR don't have very advanced pedestrian crash test facilitiies and rely on the safety centre in Gothenburg. The Honda safety centre in Japan leads the way for pedestrian research.

Interesting........but sorry if I'm boring people again!

Post #7469731st Jul 2006 12:20 pm
catweasel

green bits, red bits, yellow bits, stars, crumple zones, all very luverly but what I would like to see is the G-forces that were applied to the dummies body parts and how much internal damge they would have suffered. how much decelleration did they suffer. just a thought

Post #7469831st Jul 2006 12:22 pm
oliver77

Wales 

surprisingly, deceleration forces are so close between vehicles that it wouldn't make a huge amount of sense to many. The dummies are more designed to record actual impact forces (or crushing forces) to the areas of the body. They have set trigger points ranging from red to green.

We should perhaps take all of this in context and remember how crude the Euro NCAP tests are and how they can be potentially misleading to so many.

Post #7470131st Jul 2006 12:26 pm
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

'We should perhaps take all of this in context and remember how crude the Euro NCAP tests are and how they can be potentially misleading to so many'

You are right & it has taken most of the last century to get to this point, of manufacturers actually submitting their cars for testing. I am not sure but how many people actually drive their vehicles into fixed concrete blocks when they have an accident ? Dont most accidents involve hitting other vehicles or objects, so there will be some sort of defomation and kinetic energy absorbtion & transference going on at the other side of the collision process, and a closing speed factor, both of which are not part of the NCAP tests...are they.
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #7477931st Jul 2006 5:18 pm
oliver77

Wales 

You're quite right Randalls and whilst it is good that NCAP has made safety a consideration for people when choosing a car along with badge, performance and other things there are fundamental flaws in its testing.

If you consider that Volvos are tested at 36 different points from hitting other cars to being propelled into rock faces and trees you really see how crude NCAP is.
I was interviewed for a feature in the Times a few years back and that was actually called the 5-star safety catch!

I have spent my career looking in the root causes of injuries in motor vehicle collisions and choose safety above everything when buying a new car. I have a D3 and my wife has a Volvo V50. For our needs and budget, I feel that those are the safest cars I could buy.

If only the LR had the Volvos reliability Embarassed

Post #7478031st Jul 2006 5:26 pm
JMC

Scotland 

oliver77 wrote:
If only the LR had the Volvos reliability Embarassed

There is a V40 Sport Lux (Wifes car) in my drive next to the D3. I used to really enjoy that car....... then I got the Disco.

If only the Volvo had the D3s permagrin......!!!! Laughing

Post #7478131st Jul 2006 5:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
oliver77

Wales 

When I first had a D3 I had a huge Permagrin butafter 8 months and LR had to the car due to so many gremlins. Then 4 weeks ago I got a shiny new one so a new Permagrin. 3 days in the garage later, full 4 wheel alignment, flaws in the paint, I have to carry lipstick with me to paint a permagrin on as I can't seem to muster one on my own. Do they do a blue permagrin pill???? Laughing

Post #7478431st Jul 2006 5:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >