Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

Disco5 - to wait or.....?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Dannyson

England 
Disco5 - to wait or.....?

Took out a Disco 4 today - well impressed, quiet, smooth and comfy. But maybe I should wait for the new 5 model - due out next year. Taking out a Discovery Sport Friday ... heard the old Freelander engines in them are a bit noisy and unrefined - and not especially economical - maybe I should wait for the new 2ltr engine...... Rolling Eyes

Post #147327113th May 2015 10:24 pm
747_JK

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The so-called Discovery 5 will be expensive, no doubt discount less at first and as a new car, probably plagued with problems. Having learnt the hard way with an early model D4, I would not want a new LR model again, and in fact just plumped for a new Discovery... Hopefully most of the faults ironed out by now, a very good discount available from the dealer and good availability.

Go for it! Get the current Disco... You know you want too!
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"
2019 Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SOLD
2010 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE with a serious smoking habit - SOLD 

Post #147328513th May 2015 10:40 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

The 5 is likely to be a very different car to the 4. Think 7 seater, high roof, Range Rover Sport. Try an RRS and see if that's what you want, otherwise buy the 4 now, while you still can. Also bear in mind that, going by recent LR launches, expect a big price increase.

If you're going to wait for the Ingenium DS, then wait another 12 months for them to iron out a lot of the bugs. Expect even more cost increases.
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #147328713th May 2015 10:44 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

And I don't think you will get a 'D5' actually on your drive until 2017 at the earliest.

Post #147329513th May 2015 10:51 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The D3/4 suits my needs really well, hence why I've had them for 9 years now. Hopefully the D5 will also suit me, but if it doesn't I'll have a reasonably new D4 which I can keep indefinitely. Or possibly, the Defender replacement, when or if it comes will be more what I'm after.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #147329813th May 2015 11:00 pm
Dannyson

England 

Yes - I did think the lead in for the 5 will be longer than forecast. The current Disco has always looked boxy to me and a bit 'last year' compared to my 2009 Landcruiser 150 series. Iconic but dated dare I say ..... classic maybe? I'm not sure.... the Disco Sport looks the part but lacks the presence.... and other bits of course.

Post #147330013th May 2015 11:02 pm
Dannyson

England 

Good point LT..... thanks..

Post #147330113th May 2015 11:03 pm
Dannyson

England 

I also thought I could keep my Landcruiser indefinitely ... just back from its service - needs new exhaust and a VSR - 'under body corrosion' - which must be something more than usual for Toyota to mention it.... making me think now is the time to get shot before it starts costing more and more - hence the visit to another Marque - first time I have looked elsewhere than Mr T for 12 years or more.... always plumped for Toyota (especially with the bad reliability that LR has had in the very recent past).

Post #147330413th May 2015 11:09 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Dannyson wrote:
Yes - I did think the lead in for the 5 will be longer than forecast. The current Disco has always looked boxy to me and a bit 'last year' compared to my 2009 Landcruiser 150 series. Iconic but dated dare I say ..... classic maybe? I'm not sure.... the Disco Sport looks the part but lacks the presence.... and other bits of course.

It's an interesting comment about the style of the D4. If not being "last year" is high up on your list, you are probably the sort of buyer that LR is currently courting with their newer designs and the D5 might suit you better. No offence intended, but I wonder if owning Toyota's for that length of time has, maybe unconsciously, left you with the desire to have "this year's" style? I had to google "Toyota Land Cruiser 2009" to remember what one looks like, while I would imagine that very few people would need to do that for the far more recognisable D3/D4 shape. I like the fact that it looks like a modern interpretation of the Defender shape and NUTS to fashion! Fashion is only there to make sure that the fashion conscious have no choice but to keep buying!

Post #147333514th May 2015 6:49 am
Laird Lugton

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

^^^Like post, a lot!! ^^^

Post #147338614th May 2015 9:28 am
jonnybgud

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Admin on Facebook Discovery 3 & 4 Ownersgroup

Cambelt, Fuel Pump Belt, Oil Pump & Water pump replaced by Flack

Mods:

D4 Conversion (front & rear)
BAS (Bodsy) remap + EGR Delete
FBH Smart Controller
D4 Screen/Navigation 

Post #147339214th May 2015 9:34 am
Dannyson

England 

I suppose its not just the fashion - but I take your point - its also maybe 'older technology' - little things like windscreen washers still stuck on the bonnet - no fridge in the centre console - no adaptive headlights and probably other bits I haven't noticed yet. These may be an option - I haven't looked into the options much yet .... its expensive to start with let alone adding more cost! Appreciate all your comments so far though - thanks - making me think for sure.....!

Post #147339514th May 2015 9:38 am
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Shocked Rolling Eyes

My old fashioned MY15 D4 has:

3 litre TDV6 with 8 speed adaptive automatic gearbox with steering wheel mounted manual control paddles and sport mode

Cruise control
Heated steering wheel
Remote park heating and ventilation system (either remote control or on a timer)
Heated front and rear screens
Panoramic glass roof
Heated front and rear seats
Memory seats and steering column
Dual zone climate control
rear passenger air con system (completely separate from front with separate controls)
Puddle lights and courtesy lighting, all very posh

Adaptive Xenons (swivel with steering) with cornering lights and "halo/angel" LED DRLs and automatic main beam control which senses cars coming towards you and automatically dips and applies main beam

surround cameras fitted front (x2) rear (x1) and sides (x2) providing side and junction views as well as hitch assist and towing assist for reversing with trailer/caravan attached

Exterior detection pack also includes wade depth sensing, reversing traffic collision detection, blind spot monitoring in the wing mirrors and collision detect on vehicles approaching you fast from the rear, parking distance control

825w 17 speaker Meridian sound system with subwoofer, dolby digital,etc., allowing me to stream audio from my iPhone using spotify, iTunes,etc.,; play movies and music from a usb storage device, play movies from DVD, store CDs on the in built storage, Full DVB-T digital freeview television

Rear entertainment system with wireless headphones, remote control and headrest screens allowing viewing of all sources listed above plus ability to connect a games console

Terrain response, low and high gear ranges and tyre pressure monitoring system

Stop start technology (love or hate it, it's there and provides cheaper road tax!)

Fridge in centre console, removable tow bar

3 years manufacturers warranty and a 5 year servicing pack

...probably other bits I have forgotten....

and above all.... a support forum like no other vehicle I've known. Part of picking another Discovery was undoubtedly the fact this forum makes owning it even more of a pleasure - it really was one of the many considerations!!

So - all in all I'd probably say the misconceptions about "older" tech aren't all that correct. The chassis and body design (accepting some reasonably heavy facelifts) are old/classic/built for purpose

I went for it as you need to think the following way for the D5:

1. Design not released, who knows how practical and whether you like it
2. Better to wait for first facelift,new engine, niggles fixed, than buying the first to arrive in showroom
3. Price hike, it will be 5-6k more expensive
4. Quality, hate to say it but after spending a week in a Discovery Sport it's no Discovery when it comes to fit and finish - if that translates to the Discovery then it's definitely being notched down in the "premium/prestige" fit and finish
5. 2017 for the very first of the new, only live once, buy a current one and enjoy until the new one comes along
6. Tailgate - if it doesn't have a split one then I'm not buying.... it's far too bloody useful!!
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #147347214th May 2015 1:26 pm
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

"and above all.... a support forum like no other vehicle I've known. Part of picking another Discovery was undoubtedly the fact this forum makes owning it even more of a pleasure - it really was one of the many considerations!!"

A prime consideration for me when considering whether or not to stay with the Disco marque. Now on my fourth version. Very Happy
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #147349514th May 2015 2:46 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Dannyson wrote:
I suppose its not just the fashion - but I take your point - its also maybe 'older technology' - little things like windscreen washers still stuck on the bonnet - no fridge in the centre console - no adaptive headlights and probably other bits I haven't noticed yet. These may be an option - I haven't looked into the options much yet .... its expensive to start with let alone adding more cost! Appreciate all your comments so far though - thanks - making me think for sure.....!

Again, no criticism intended, but it's interesting that you are concerned that it may have "older technology", yet your original reaction was still "well impressed, quiet, smooth and comfy" which, may I presume, is in comparison to the Toyota? Underneath relatively superficial stuff, like where the washer nozzles are mounted, you might even find that the basic technology of the D4 is ahead of the Toyota....

Post #147350214th May 2015 2:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >