Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

My Europe Trip 2018
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 12 <123 ... 9 101112>
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Not much info in campsite reception for those of us travelling through and nothing in English. Seems they are geared up to serve those with long term pitches. So, went for a walk and found woodland and the Argen river that the cocker spaniel enjoys to swim in. Back to caravan before the rain and thunder set in. Fortunate stocked the fridge before leaving last site.
Click image to enlarge

Reading my 6th book since leaving home 36 days ago - Secrets of the Chuckling Goat; given my love of DIY, gardening and all things that show an immediate outcome of effort (a far cry from my previous corporate life) it is quite inspirational. I don’t think I will be rushing out to buy some goats but who knows.....

We are staying here 4 or 5 nights, depending upon what there is to see and places to walk. I think we will be using all our caravans facilities rather than feed the shower meter!
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #194483813th May 2018 2:56 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Forecast not looking good for the next few days. Scrabble, cards, books and cards could get hammered. Who cares, there will be sunny days along soon and I won’t be working. Thumbs Up
Click image to enlarge
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #194485413th May 2018 4:11 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Day started cool but dry so went for a drive to the lake at Langenargen. Found parking and river walk to marina on the way and realise how good the area is for bikes. But also plenty of walks that are well sign posted. Looks like we are sorted for next three days.
Click image to enlarge

We are off the map shown above but this is the area we will explore.
Post #194506614th May 2018 9:41 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Discovery MPG Performance

So far it has done 2442 miles at 22.6mpg average on the lie-o-meter on the dash. Better than I was expecting given the mountainous route for much of the journey. I won’t tempt fate by saying how the Disco has performed in other areas.......
Post #194510214th May 2018 11:26 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Even thinking such things can lead to tears!! Shocked

Post #194510314th May 2018 11:28 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

I did take a look at the fault codes this afternoon in case anything was brewing. Nothing untoward with the usual lost comms and blanked EGR valve errors (mine are bypassed). Not needed any engine oil whilst away despite me bringing a few litres just in case. But you are right - I have thought about it Big Cry
Post #194515114th May 2018 3:30 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Went to Lindau at south east corner of the lake. It’s basically an island with a thin strip connecting it to the mainland. Reviews in tourist mags said picturesque but not in my opinion. Perhaps the rain and cold influenced my opinion. 11 degrees C most of morning. Oh to be back in south of France or Lake Garda.

Daily thunderstorms are stressing the border collie - and me Big Cry
Post #194544015th May 2018 4:17 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

After almost three days of continuous rain we have decided to alter route back to try to avoid rain and get some warmer weather. We will not stop in the Vosges region and instead head further west to Langres near Lac du Lies. We stayed on that site many years ago on a one night stopover and said we would go back.

The weather there should be better - 22 degrees and some sun and no rain until Monday. The down side is a 6 hour drive. The upside is the trek up to St Omer is then only 5 hours rather than the 6.5 we had planned previously.

Not looking forward to taking down or putting up a wet awning.
Post #194570016th May 2018 3:25 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

7 hours drive with stops but arrived to blue skies and 20 degrees Very Happy

Glad to see the back of some ropey German roads full of roadworks. Great drive through France on N19 at 55mph bar villages. Little traffic.

Nice pitch with view over lake
Click image to enlarge
Post #194605617th May 2018 4:43 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Now sampling local brew
Click image to enlarge
Post #194605717th May 2018 4:45 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Blue skies all day. 20 degrees. No cloud. Perfect end to the trip. Hoping for the same until Thursday. I will then do a hints a tips for anyone doing a similar trip, especially as a break between corporate working life and retirement.

Meanwhile another paella has just bean consumed with more local brew.
Click image to enlarge

A walk around part of the lake tomorrow, hoping to find a bar en route and then stagger back to laze in sunshine.
Post #194633418th May 2018 5:31 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Now that does look nice, even if the prawns have been replaced by chipolatas. Whistle

Post #194633518th May 2018 5:33 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Walked around Langres medieval town on hill yesterday morning. Market was nothing compared to many French markets we have attended. Town is worth a visit though.

This morning a walk around part of the lake to Vezy but that village no longer has a bar or cafe Big Cry so back to camp site for beer and leftovers from last night’s paella Thumbs Up Can justify the beer after 15km walk.

This camp site is a popular stopover for those taking the motorway down to south of France. We used it for that purpose in the past. Site is quiet at the moment so they only had one shower block open. My Mrs explained that queuing for a shower when it is really quiet is not good customer service. We now have access to another shower block and three times as many showers. She is good at sorting these things my Mrs. Site is http://www.campingliez.com/fr/le-camping-p1.php

Since we were last here they now how a separate “Stop and Go” field that is larger, open and flat for those staying one night. In a Disco with variable height suspension you could probably leave the caravan attached.
Post #194648619th May 2018 11:41 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Bloody hell - it’s a bank holiday in France on Monday. No wonder the site is filling up and the extra showers are now available. I know we get 2 bank holidays in May but the rest of Europe seems to get more and of course they do actually close shops etc.
Post #194651419th May 2018 2:18 pm
hugeviking

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Enjoying reading your posts Thumbs Up
Still jealous Twisted Evil
So used to most places being open on bank holidays in blighty, its easy to get caught out when away. Dont know if thats good or bad.

Have good time Thumbs Up

Andi.

Post #194674620th May 2018 11:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 10 of 12 <123 ... 9 101112>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >