Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

My Europe Trip 2018
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 12 <123 ... 101112>
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Day 43 coming to an end. Feels like ages since we were at home and yet the time has flown by - especially the second half of the trip. Starting to plan the last long drive to St Omer on Tuesday where we stay for two nights and get the dogs into the vet for their worming tablets and completion of pet passports. I must remember to get the time written in the passport as we ferry back the afternoon of the following day. I don’t want a jobsworth questioning how many hours (Min 24) between the tablet and travel.

Meanwhile the weather has been great and more walking and chilling out in the sun. The clouds did put in an appearance whilst I was griddling dinner but failed to deliver any rain.
Click image to enlarge

My favourite meals this trip have been pork chops (or any meat) rubbed with spices the day before and then griddles and served with salad or gridlled veg. This was tonight dinner; pork chops with griddles aubergine, onion, courgette, tomato, brown rice.
Click image to enlarge

Blue sky now and forecast good for tomorrow. An accordion player has started nearby so off to investigate as it’s quite good.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #194683420th May 2018 7:08 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

It’s been hard to capture a picture that does this camp site justice. Whilst walking an other other side of the lake I took the following. There are houses below the campsite which sits on the top of the hill. Our caravan is in the shot (honest).
Click image to enlarge

After the dramatic picture from the Ardeche and Dolomites it all seems quite different but still very pleasant.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #194683920th May 2018 7:15 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Awoke this morning to mist - not forecast. But it sooner cleared and we walked part of the Marne canal that links the rivers Rhône and Seine. On the way had nice view of Langres up on the hill.
Click image to enlarge

In the morning we are off to Saint Omer - about 5 hours with a couple of stops.
Post #194700921st May 2018 3:10 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Day 45

Easy drive north up the A26 and off at junction 3 after St Omer. 8 miles from junction on road to Dunkirk we are staying in the grounds of a Château(Chateau Grandespette) which so far is one of the nicest.
Click image to enlarge

Blue skies, warm in the sun but with a cool breeze. Reasonable woodland walk in grounds for the dog. Modern clean showers. Large pitches.
Click image to enlarge

Off to vet at 9 tomorrow. Then into St Omer. Think we may eat in restaurant here tomorrow night and sink a few glasses as it’s our last night of what has been a fantastic adventure.
Post #194727622nd May 2018 5:12 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Great site, we were there 2 years ago.

How did you get on at the vets ? (Cost, English spoken ?)

Post #194728322nd May 2018 5:58 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Brian, will let you know tomorrow.
Post #194729922nd May 2018 6:47 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Well, the trip to the vet was easy and not to painful on wallet - euro32 for both dogs to be “examined” and have their worming tablet. We supplied the Milpro tablets which probably kept cost down. We also placed the tablet in some of their food to avoid any problems of not wanting to take the tablet.

The vet was Remy Ducrot at 63, route de Calais 6 2500 Saint Martin au Laert France

10 mins from campsite.

Brian, the vet speaks good English but not the receptionist. I spoke to the vet when I booked in advance. He has three walk in clinics a day but I booked.
Post #194742423rd May 2018 9:50 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Day 47 - final day

Rained overnight so wet awning, but stopped raining so taking opportunity to clean the plastic parts. Suspect it will be damp when we leave so will layout at home to get properly dry.

Last of anchor butter and ketchup consumed at breakfast. Last tea bag used for thermos, so it must be time to return to the UK. Normally this would be a Big Cry moment but so many memories to take back and no work to go back to, so it’s Very Happy

I will write up some hints and tips for anyone else thinking of doing an extended trip into Europe.
Post #194768824th May 2018 7:42 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Well, this morning got better. Sun came out strongly and awning just about dry. Drove off campsite at 10:15 Arrived at ferry terminal at 10:55. Straight onto 11:25 ferry - we were booked on a ferry three hours later. Now with feet up at front of ship drinking tea from my last tea bag and last baguette from France.

Last edited by Barn1e on 24th May 2018 10:48 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #194772724th May 2018 10:40 am
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Really enjoyed reading your posts, glad you had a great trip and almost home with no drama's along the way. Thumbs Up
 Stu

2016 D4 Landmark current
2022 Defender D300 SE Gone Sad
D4 2014 XS Commercial - Gone Sad
D4 2016 hse lux montalcino red - Gone
D3 2005 se java black - current
D3 2005 base manual - gone Sad
D2 1999 TD5 E white - current 

Post #194773024th May 2018 10:46 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Shhhhhhh, he’s not home yet!!! Shocked Shocked

Looked like a great trip, sadly they have to come to an end. Sad

Post #194773124th May 2018 10:48 am
Rnclayton

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Really enjoyed this. Pity it is going to be at least 14yrs before last child is old enough for me to be able to do. Then probably another 5-7yrs before retiring, at this rate. Crying or Very sad

Post #194773224th May 2018 10:51 am
Pelyma

England 

A great thread, thanks for sharing your travels. Thumbs Up
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #194773724th May 2018 11:09 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Thanks to those that responded to the thread and glad it was of interest.

Home safe and sound. Bloody good cars these Discovery’s!!

I said I would summarise some hints and tips for anybody considering something similar:

Purpose; my main reason for the trip was to have a complete break between work and retirement. I wanted to both forget about the corporate treadmill and think about what I wanted to do in retirement. I also wanted a long holiday. We achieved both.

Duration; 47 days was probably a bit too long. We could have achieved the objectives in four weeks. I also discovered that the holiday insurance I have with the house insurance only covers single trips up to 42 days. Worth checking before as that would have kept us within that period.

Time of year; it had to coincide with my retirement so little room for change. April and May were good for most locations we visited but I missed being at home in May - when the garden and countryside comes alive. Make sure you check the dates on bank holidays (and strikes) in the countries being visited. This can influence when you move between sites and whether to book in advance.

Book or Turn Up and Hope; we booked 4 of the 10 sites. The overnight on way south, the Lake Bled and Lake Garda sites and the two night stop south of Calais on way back. I think we could have just turned up but when we thought a site may be busy or we knew we needed the location, we booked. All through the caravan club. Those sites were paid for in advance, the rest were paid using their Site Night vouchers or card. We used the £21 voucher when the pitch cost would have been more. Dogs and local taxes were on top.

Duration on each site; when the weather is good 5-7 days suited us. We walked and explored but also had lazy times in the sun. Most places we visited were great for walking but if you had bikes (we had two dogs), the options were endless.

Locations; we should of hacked south at start of April. Chase the warmer weather. We could also have seen a vet for pet passports stuff in Langres on the way back rather than stop for two nights in St Omer. The vet visit has to be between 1 and 5 days prior to return. Now we know what the vet is supposed to do I would have less worries about using a vet less familiar with the process. Not sure I would rush back to any sites in Germany. Bled was my favourite. Don’t forget to get a vignette for motorways in Austria and Slovenia.

Campsites; we used the Caravan (and motor home) Club book to select sites and only those that accepted 2 dogs. Other than the site in Germany we could not have chosen better. However, most people we spoke to on sites were using the ACSI membership and website to identify sites. We will look at that option next time https://www.acsi.eu/en/home/l2-n144/

Caravan; it was great apart from one mover motor that failed early in the holiday. We managed with one motor and brute force. I will replace the motor on return. For a long period I definitely recommend memory foam toppers on the beds. I lost my back ache whilst away! DIY on return may bring it back.

Ageing Discovery 3; when you spend time on this Forum it is easy to assume that every Discovery is doomed. I have had mine since new and done over 180,000 miles. Over 3000 on this trip. I took a tool kit just in case ...... only used it on the caravan. Took engine oil ..... it used none. Even the FBH fired up in the Dolomites on cold mornings. Average 22.6mpg on the lie-o-meter dash display was better than I was expecting. But, most of the time I used super diesel and was adding 2 stroke oil at 1:200. This was more to ease the strain on engine and protect the fuel pumps (mine are still original).

I still reckon it’s a great towing car, new or old. Would I take it again on another long trip towing .... yes.

On return I will treat it to new oil in engine (plus filter), transfer box, diffs. All changes a little early but that has been my approach to servicing since I moved away from dealer servicing. I will also do an autobox drain and fill.

Thanks again to all those that read the thread. If anyone wants specific questions answered send me a PM, or if general, post on here and I will reply.
Post #194783424th May 2018 6:14 pm
Skippy R

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I've read your trip everyday from the start, excellent, surprised to see you say you would not rush back to any German sites, we've stayed on a few and found them really good, suppose it depends what you want from it.
You've been to some excellent places though and I'm proper envious of your trip, something my wife and I will be doing once time and funds allow !!
 East bound and down, loaded up and truckin......  
Post #194822226th May 2018 7:58 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 11 of 12 <123 ... 101112>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >