Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

It’s raining! Inside…
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Shealesy

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
It’s raining! Inside…

Well, not actually raining. Passenger footwell is flooding (still…). I’ve been chasing this leak for months, though with the lack of rain over summer it was tricky and looked like I’d fixed it. Apparently not. 20mm of rain overnight and it’s ALL in my passenger footwell.
Carpet soaked, foam soaked, cable tray full enough to be wicking up into the rear seat footwell carpets

Things I’ve checked so far (with scientific jugs of water):

Sunroof drains (start obvious) as much falls out of the wheel arch as I pour in to the sunroof surround
Blower motor (common scuttle leak) dry as a bone, ran sealant across the top of the scuttle anyway
Door seals, droopy but in place and seem sound.
Door drains are clear.
Roof lining is dry.
Replaced A pillar clips but… I suspect this is where it’s coming in. I’ve had the carpet/foam pulled back and in the corner behind where the bonnet release is, a curved cable carrier that leads the loom down from CJB to the sill cable tray, I saw a few drops fall from there while pouring water down the A pillar.
I’ve ordered yet more new clips, and the sticky pads to replace the locator pegs.
Nothing visible on the inside of the A pillar so must be quite low down.

Is there anything else I can do in this area to be sure? Or anywhere else I can look, should this not fix the leak.

Cheers all!
 D3 HSE - MY05 - Java black
Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer
GAP IIDBT G3
2x Colliewobbles and a Kelpie 

Post #230884527th Sep 2022 10:37 am
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Sikaflex round the clips before putting them back... I've done that every time I've had the A pillar trim off and never had an issue...

Have you checked the welds at the front under the trim seals ? Someone had an issue with that a while back...
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #230885327th Sep 2022 12:00 pm
Shealesy

Cheers Nige, I’ll lay it on thick around the fresh clips when postie graces my door with them.

Welds under the roof rail trim? Both sides have a small crack in the trim at the front tip, as it bends over to meet the pillar trim/windscreen edge. I’ve never had them off but will squirt some goo in there too. Full length rails are on my to-do list, maybe climbing higher if the A pillar trim fix doesn’t work.
Of if there’s similar welds at the bottom of the pillar I’ll squirt some in there too. Might just go a bit mad with the goo…. Laughing
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #230890327th Sep 2022 7:31 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Gap where mirror mount meets door frame?

Post #230892127th Sep 2022 9:00 pm
Shealesy

@Lynall that’s a new one! Hadn’t found mention of that before. I’ll have a look across it, would have thought that would fill the door up, and the drains are clear (minus a small piece of glass, guess it’s been smashed before!). Unless it’s running in the door-body loom and down, possible. Not sure this amount of water could flow that way though.

It is absolutely sookin now. Had it nearly dry with a vax/dehumidifier combo for several days, went to Aberdeenshire for the weekend, it rained a bit. Got home Monday and it hammered it down for about 24 hours. Now if I put my foot in there it squirts up out of the hole where the floor mat retaining thing used to be. (Also if anyone has a handful of those laying about Thumbs Up )
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #230897928th Sep 2022 11:35 am
Danns

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Had the same issue… cured by the never/rarely mentioned…

Bonnet seal

Have a check to make sure it’s pushed home all the way around… mine had come forward in corner by the a pillar, leading to a flooded passenger footwell.

Post #23094722nd Oct 2022 7:40 pm
Shealesy

Cheers Danns, I’ve been there before after a water damaged TCCM disabled the car for 3 weeks while I waited for a new unit and a GAP tool to sort it out with. I check that corner of the seal nearly every time I open the bonnet now Thumbs Up
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #23095343rd Oct 2022 12:07 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Shealesy wrote:
went to Aberdeenshire for the weekend, it rained a bit.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

You never mentioned it was Aberdeenshire rain ! That stuff could get inside a nuclear sub while it was submerged Laughing trust me I know I live there... the rain seems to pervade through space and time as well as through any supposedly waterproof material.

Hopefully you've had some success by now but definitely look under the metal gutter strip back as far as the blanked holes for a fitted roof rack...
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #23095363rd Oct 2022 12:16 pm
Shealesy

Yes it was a bit of Aberdeenshire rain (wettest rain known to man) but was also followed by “a bit of rain” at home in Caithness, which is a LOT wetter than Aberdeenshire rain Laughing

So far, SWMBO still has wet feet… but I’ve also yet to actually have time to dry out the inside again so I don’t know if the leak persists. That’s this afternoons task, get the vax out and give it what-for. It’ll have a few days of dehumidifier time too before I go to work again on Friday.

I think it’s starting to affect the electrics though… the last few days I’ve got in and started it and the radio has changed to (untuned) FM when I’ve never had it anywhere but aux. Drivers seat (memory seats) seems to move itself about when left too, usually slid forward, and usually backrest forward too. Air recirculate has been on once too. Random little electronic changes. Need to nip this in the bud before it’s “I’m not going to start today”
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #23095503rd Oct 2022 2:01 pm
Shealesy

Took a different “scientific” approach today with success!

Contrary to the measuring approach where 500ml in the sunroof drain, left via the wheel arch drain hole, my leak is in fact the sunroof! I went with the “make water look like blood and shove a white(ish) rag under the carpet” and lo and behold!

So clearly enough gets in during the monsoonical caithness “light showers” that we call damp to flood the footwell. Cleared it out again first with the vax, about 6 litres all in…. Censored
Drain hole temporarily bunged with some gutter sealant that should pull out easy when I get a chance to change, what I’m lead to believe is, the most awkward drain tube known to man.

Just letting the last dregs soak into the “murder rag” and then I can start a partial reassembly (leaving enough out to change the drain tube.

Also waiting on a new wing mirror as it wasn’t sitting flush and I thought it could be the leak, so 2 bolts snapped in the housing as I tried to remove and reseat it, and a new A pillar trim as I snapped a clip mounting point getting that out suspecting that! What a day that was…

Seems to have turned into yet another sunroof drain thread… sorry.

Cheers for pointers!
Shealesy
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #23098245th Oct 2022 1:34 pm
Shealesy

The swear jar

Well, if I could afford to keep filling said swear jar I could probably afford a nice late D4 by this point.

Who the Censored decided to put Censored awkward Censored connectors on the Censored back of the Censored CJB

Anybody got any hints to get them back in? Or if you have small hands and short forearms and fancy swinging by Latheron Thumbs Up

3 hours in (just on trying to replace the CJB) and I’m about ready to burn it.

Shealesy

Edit: Top tip! Once the CJB is out, find a drill and tiny (2mm or so) drill bit and carefully put a wee hole at the top of the locking lever, thread some fishing line through the cable tie at the bottom of the connector and tie to the hole you just drilled. Then you just need to contort yourself to position the connector and pull the line and it locks into place! Took 5 minutes after I thought of that Rolling Eyes
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #231070312th Oct 2022 10:47 am
Shealesy

Well (again), the swearing only stopped temporarily. After getting the CJB back in seemingly flawlessly (with the fishing line mod) I promptly reconnected all the front plugs, put the key in and fired up the GAP tool to clear the myriad of codes I figured would be present.

Didn’t even have a chance to unlock my phone before I’m getting various doors open (they weren’t) adaptive lighting fault indicator, park brake fault indicator, and my 4x4 screen showing the chassis several feet below the wheel centres.

Fault codes scanned and cleared and scanned again, vehicle reset (GAP), same few faults again, vehicle reset (battery connections), same few faults again, CJB connections checked twice, same again. All wiring and connectors below CJB checked for any damage or knocks (CJB must have initially gone in and out 20 times before I finally got it sussed) and all looks fine, same again. Censored

HeadLight
U0001-87 (AF) High speed CAN communication bus - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
( at 168703 mi )

Parking Brake
C1A55-64 (EB) Ignition switch input circuit - Algorithm based failure - signal plausibility failure
( at 168703 mi )

Terrain Response
U0132-87 (2F) Lost communication with ride level control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
( at 168703 mi )

Transfer Case
U0132-86 (2F) Lost communication with ride level control module - Bus signal/message failure - signal is invalid
( at 168703 mi )

Note the absence of any ride level control module faults, both obvious fuses (engine bay and CJB) checked and ok.

Battery now disconnected and charging independently in the hope that it’s just spent far too long trying to be awake while I’ve been contorting myself into the foot well. Using the towing socket adapter was jumping to full charge far too quickly but without the car attached is now sitting at 50% and taking its time.

Here’s hoping that a good charge will bring back my suspension and clear this up. I’ll report back in a few hours.

Shealesy
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #231073812th Oct 2022 3:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >