Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Africa

Rear wheel carrier - SA Group Buy?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Rear wheel carrier - SA Group Buy?

Guys I can get these for $800 each plus whatever the import costs (+VAT) will be.
It's the same unit as fitted to KEN's vehicle http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic12446-15.html
I am definitely in, as no-one locally can do this yet, and I am a bit scared to let them experiment with my bumper.

Who wants one?
Reply by Friday, then I am placing the order.

"The part Land Rover should have made! This aftermarket kit relocates the spare tire from under the back of the truck to out back, where it belongs. Under the back end it often hangs up on the trail, and you can't fit larger tires into the small space. Most of the hardware hides behind the rear bumper or under the tire for a very clean appearance. The latch is the handle shown under the tire, which uses a strong bail-style clamp to prevent rattles. There is a locking pin to hold the arm at 90 degrees to prevent damage to the bodywork when open. Suitable for both 18" and 19" factory wheels.

We recommend professional installation since holes must be drilled in the rear bumper bar under the plastic cap, and holes must be drilled in the top section of the cap for the hinge and locking pin."

http://www.rasta4x4.com

Post #18120524th Jul 2007 8:06 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Definitely interested , but have you managed to figure out if you can open the door with your trailer attached

Post #18121024th Jul 2007 8:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baben

Heine, it depends how long your trailer a-frame is, and how high the front of your trailer is. Unfortunately offroad trailers have fairly short fronts.

If you consider the D3 is just under 1900mm wide, the edge of the tyre will project rearward in an arc about 60% of this, say about 1200mm at some distance above the rear bumper, but the lowest point of the bracket and tyre will only project about 500mm.
I just measured both my trailers, and if the wheel projects less than 600mm at the lowest point, and about 1m in the middle, it might just work.

Even if it doesn't clear, it's not really an issue for me. When I tow the trailer I can always use only the trailer spare, 'cos its the same as the landy.

Post #18122024th Jul 2007 8:49 am
heine

Will go measure tonight

Post #18122624th Jul 2007 8:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hiltonbe

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Rear tyre carrier

Yup - am also interested - depends on the total landed cost though as there is a supplier in Ct who is making rear bumpers with tyre carrier for the disco 3 and a steel replacment rear bumper sound like a good option - I will see if I can find some pics and post them

HB

Post #18122724th Jul 2007 9:02 am
Baben

HI Hilton

I looked at that option (there are others like Kaymar in OZ offering this type of solution), and it may well be stronger too, but I would prefer to keep the bumper fairly standard if I can
Plus there's the extra weight, and the D3 is already a bit under-damped in the rear, and with the rear fuel tank it might be a bit too much weight so far back IMHO.

Post #18123024th Jul 2007 9:09 am
AP Moller

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Heine,
I am in. Please let me know how how we process payment, etc.

Quote:
Hiltonbe: as there is a supplier in Ct who is making rear bumpers with tyre carrier for the disco 3 and a steel replacment rear bumper sound like a good option - I will see if I can find some pics and post them

Who is the supplier in Cape Town and what does the fitting look like: any place to have a look?

The Rasta one does look good.

Post #18127024th Jul 2007 10:44 am
coala

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I do not know if this is the guy in Cape Town you refer to. http://www.mywaytents.co.za/ have a look under spare wheel carrier. I am off to Cape Town week after next and was planning to pay him a visit. Not suitable for anybody pulling a trailer.

Post #18136424th Jul 2007 1:02 pm
heine

Ok baben count me out looks like I only have 800 mm clearance.

Post #18140724th Jul 2007 2:01 pm
Baben

Please PM me if you want one

Guys please send me a PM if you are in, complete with your contact details, then I can send you details for payment

Post #18141424th Jul 2007 2:12 pm
hiltonbe

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Rear tyre carrier

Burnco engineering in Ct does the replacement rear bumper and wheel carrier - he sent me pics of a D3 that had just had it done - looked a very nice job. I deleted the mail but have asked him to mail more pics which i will post when I get them

HB

Post #18156124th Jul 2007 7:14 pm
Baben

Wayne at Front Runner says they will fit for about R850

Post #18191825th Jul 2007 11:26 am
Baben

OK guys, thanks for your responses. We have 5 in total, which might help on the shipping.
The order will only be placed Wednesday, 'cos I haven't yet received any responses to a few technical questions you asked, as their tech guy is on leave till then. Plus I need to wait till Monday to get a firm shipping price, which I will share with you before ordering.
So if there's anyone else (in SA) needing one you still have a few days to decide.

Post #18354528th Jul 2007 6:47 am
Ken

What are the tech questions

Post #18362428th Jul 2007 11:53 am
Baben

"there is a fair amount of flexibility in the Land Rover steel bumper – this is obviously not your problem – but did you experience this too, and if so do you think it is cause for concern? The reason I ask is that we do a lot of travel on VERY bad roads, the type that break roof-racks, and I don’t want to have the spare wheel mount snapping off my bumper, you know what I mean.

I will need to fit 275/65 tyres – I see in your picture that you have a fairly large tyre on the demo vehicle but I can’t see the exact size. Would the mounting be adjustable to compensate for wider tyres?

Is it possible to easily remove the swing-away part of the mount, and if so, what does it look like, do you have a picture?"

Post #18377629th Jul 2007 8:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >