Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

A round up of road-biased A/T tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 13 123 ... 111213>
Asbestross

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
A round up of road-biased A/T tyres

I'm running Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season tyres on the D4 currently and I'm very happy with their performance as a daily-driver tyre.

However, I'm thinking of getting a second, more sturdy set of wheels/tyres for greenlaning etc. and don't want to compromise on noise or safety whilst getting to wherever it is that I'm going. As such, I've put together a rundown of what I've found out there on the market, suitable for my needs.

The list has some kind of order, starting with wet-braking performance, followed by fuel economy and noise.

Hopefully others will find this useful, Goodyear DuraTracs are not included as they have a low-speed rating and are not subject to tyre labelling etc.

Click image to enlarge

THIS CHART HAS NOW BEEN UPDATED WITH THIS ONE:
Click image to enlarge

Another update, this time with 20" wheels and a few more in 19"

UPDATED ONCE AGAIN

Click image to enlarge

THE OCTOBER 2020 COLLECTION
Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Asbestross on 4th Oct 2020 8:37 am. Edited 4 times in total 
Post #208665524th Sep 2019 3:10 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #208667124th Sep 2019 3:33 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Nice info. Thumbs Up

I would say that some are not really road-biased so much as 50/50 tyres. Certainly the Grabber AT3 is denoted as such on their website. I'd say the other "chunky" ATs are too e.g the Scorpion AT+. Basically the 50/50 tyres are those that have E ratings.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #208667624th Sep 2019 3:46 pm
Asbestross

I didn't realise the Cooper ATT was a new tyre - here's some blurb from their website:

https://www.coopertire.de/nachrichten/d/!/...r-att-tyre

New Cooper® Discoverer ATT™ tyre

Rugged performance and quiet comfort combined

MELKSHAM, UK, 8 May, 2019 – Cooper Tire Europe has introduced the new Discoverer ATT™, a 60 percent on-road, 40 percent off-road tyre, suitable for fitment to a wide range of CUVs and SUVs.

Although an all-terrain tyre, the Discoverer ATT is designed for quiet on-road driving, thanks to its unique Whisper GroovesTM which provide a sound barrier to inhibit tyre noise from entering the vehicle cabin. This is supported by advanced all-terrain tread pitch sequencing to reduce tyre noise and deliver a quiet ride.

The tyre is also designed to provide robust off-road qualities thanks to its carcass construction featuring high tensile body ply and high density steel belts which enhance resistance to damage and increase load carrying capacity.

A high silica content compound provides excellent resistance to cutting and chipping from aggressive surfaces combined with a raised kerb-bar around the circumference of the sidewall of the tyre to further enhance damage resistance. The sidewalls also have stone ejectors; small bars that extend down from the centre to the sidewall to prevent stone retention and penetration.

The Discoverer ATT’s tread pattern features a hinge-shaped central rib to provide excellent traction and effective power transmission. The tyre is H-rated for speeds up to 210 Km/h (130 mph) and is available in a range of sizes to fit not just large 4x4xs but popular mid-sized SUVs and CUVs as well.

Cooper Tire Europe Marketing Director Michiel Kramer, said, “Cooper prides itself on manufacturing ‘Tyres Built to Last’ and the Discoverer ATT carries on that tradition. It is an important addition to our product range, offering customers the combination of a robust and durable, yet quiet, all-terrain tyre.”

Click image to enlarge

Post #208667724th Sep 2019 3:46 pm
Asbestross

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Nice info. Thumbs Up

I would say that some are not really road-biased so much as 50/50 tyres. Certainly the Grabber AT3 is denoted as such on their website. I'd say the other "chunky" ATs are too e.g the Scorpion AT+. Basically the 50/50 tyres are those that have E ratings.

Yes, I think you're right. The spreadsheet kind of started growing once I got into it and I wanted to compare the full spectrum.

Post #208667924th Sep 2019 3:47 pm
jamez79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Useful list. Thanks Thumbs Up

I'm currently running 3x Goodyear Wrangler HP All weather and 1x Pirelli Scorpion Zero (the spare as I got a puncture, but will be swapping back if it can be repaired).

I do a bit of off road, during the shooting season with my dogs, but only to get to where I want to go and it's usually just around the edge of fields, over grass, tracks etc. Nothing extreme.

I want something road biased, but still able to cope with a bit of off road. I don't see the point in compromising fuel efficiency or normal road holding/aquaplaning for the amount of off road I do. I do however want something reasonably capable as I don't fancy getting stuck in front of my friends. Embarassed

Having looked at all the tyres listed in the post, I spotted the M+S symbols. How do the manufacturer's get this? Is it approval or just something they can add if they like? Does it really make a difference if they have the M+S rating over a Non M+S tyre?

I suppose my own answer is to test what i've got and see if it'll do. I'm curious about the rating for M+S though.

Post #208743227th Sep 2019 12:06 pm
ILC

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Oh the dark art of tyre selection!

I'm running Cooper Discoverer AT/3's on both my D3 and FFRR L322.

Green lane/pot hole lanes/urban/snow (at 1000ft) and motorway for both and I find them excellent! Not to noisy and do what's been asked of them.
 Discovery 3
L322 Vogue
Defender 90 - 1993
David Brown 885
All Gone: Range Rover Classic 2 Door - 1978/Land Rover Series IIA - 1964/Land Rover 90 - 1987/Land Rover Series III - Air Portable - 1979 

Post #208744727th Sep 2019 1:00 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Guess what I'll be doing at the weekend!

Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #208744827th Sep 2019 1:05 pm
Lrstaylor

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Fitted toyo open country to ours recently and their almost silent and performed well in the mud as well as on road very happy at less than £100 per corner

Post #208744927th Sep 2019 1:08 pm
Asbestross

jamez79 wrote:
Useful list. Thanks Thumbs Up

I'm currently running 3x Goodyear Wrangler HP All weather and 1x Pirelli Scorpion Zero (the spare as I got a puncture, but will be swapping back if it can be repaired).

I do a bit of off road, during the shooting season with my dogs, but only to get to where I want to go and it's usually just around the edge of fields, over grass, tracks etc. Nothing extreme.

I want something road biased, but still able to cope with a bit of off road. I don't see the point in compromising fuel efficiency or normal road holding/aquaplaning for the amount of off road I do. I do however want something reasonably capable as I don't fancy getting stuck in front of my friends. Embarassed

Having looked at all the tyres listed in the post, I spotted the M+S symbols. How do the manufacturer's get this? Is it approval or just something they can add if they like? Does it really make a difference if they have the M+S rating over a Non M+S tyre?

I suppose my own answer is to test what i've got and see if it'll do. I'm curious about the rating for M+S though.

A bit from Oponeo:
Is a tyre with "M+S" marking suitable for all conditions?
The answer is: not necessarily.
So, what does the "M+S" marking mean? "Mud + Snow"- is only a declaration from the manufacturer that the product operates in mud and snow better than regular models. This may be misleading.
When buying tyres, remember that "M+S" is marked on all winter tyres, but not all tyres with "M+S" marking have winter properties (see the graphic below).
You will also find "M+S" letters on some all-season tyres. The marking is also used on models sold in the US market, even though they do not meet the needs of drivers in the winter season.
In general, "M+S" tyres should have very soft rubber compound and a tread with more incisions to ensure better performance in the snow. Unfortunately, these features are not verified by standardised tests and may be unreliable.

[url] https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/wint...mark[/url]

Post #208747627th Sep 2019 3:15 pm
jamez79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Used to have Cooper Discoverer At/3's on my Navara. The tyres lasted really well, but didn't suit the Nav due to the light back end. I was tempted to try them on the Disco, but not sure what fuel economy would be like.

Choosing tyres is a right old conundrum. Laughing

I haven't got stuck, yet, so logic says stick with what you know. However, the Wrangler HP all weather aren't sold as on road/off road, so surely at some point I will come unstuck and get stuck.

On the other hand, I like the look of the Pirelli ATRs and the Discoverer AT/3's and many many more tyres.... Big Cry

I'm starting to lean towards the Pirelli Scorpion ATR

Post #208747727th Sep 2019 3:18 pm
Asbestross

It sounds like you have similar requirements to me - any of the top 4 tyres would suit your needs. I’m going to try the Contis or Cooper ATTs as they are both new products with the latest R&D, compounds etc behind them.

Post #208748027th Sep 2019 3:30 pm
Asbestross

I've updated the spreadsheet with a bit more info, ballpark prices and a few more tyre options.

Click image to enlarge
 2003 Freelander Commercial 2.0 TD4 (Oslo Blue) SOLD
2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.0 TVD6 (Luxor Gold) SOLD
2013 Discovery 4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 (Aintree Green) 

Post #209342318th Oct 2019 2:15 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Asbestross - Many thanks Thumbs Up

The column headed "3PMS" presumably relates to "Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake".

Quote:
Tyres with this marking are suitable for demanding weather conditions and retain their performance at temperatures below zero. The 3PMSF symbol is standardised and controlled by EU authorities, guaranteeing that the product meets the conditions of rigorous testing and is suitable for operation in difficult weather conditions.

I certainly want a 3PMSF tyre and keep on coming back to GGAT3 as I have had them before, and they last very well indeed. I'd love a 3PMSF tyre with a wet rating of C rather than E though.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #209343118th Oct 2019 3:10 pm
Asbestross

Indeed, it is 3 peak mountain snowflake.

The Falkens were a tyre I only found out about today and it seems to tick all the boxes, being a new tyre as well. The geolander is the other option.

The more substantial ATs aren’t good enough at wet braking so I’ll steer clear.
 2003 Freelander Commercial 2.0 TD4 (Oslo Blue) SOLD
2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.0 TVD6 (Luxor Gold) SOLD
2013 Discovery 4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 (Aintree Green) 

Post #209344218th Oct 2019 4:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 13 123 ... 111213>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >