DISCO4.COM > Australia & New Zealand

Sand Driving - Advice Needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
alowson

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Sand Driving - Advice Needed

Hi All,

Just got delivery of a new Discovery HSE MY14, which happens to be my 10th LR. Very Happy

About to head off to Frasier Island in a few weeks and being from Scotland not had a great deal of experience on sand.

What would be a good pressure to reduce the 20inch tyre's down too?

Don't want too hard but also don't want to damage them either.

Any advice from fellow Disco drivers would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Andrew

Post #125384816th Mar 2014 9:37 am
bennyboy101

Australia 2013 LR4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteLR4

Hi mate, before I changed rims I had the 19inchers so although different to yours I thought id give you my experience. I dropped mine to 17 psi and this was enough for some fairly boggy beaches in wa. just remember to switch off DSC. I use manual mode with the trans to reduce strain on the auto box. Otherwise it can heat up quickly as it will constantly be changing gears due to load changes in sand.

Good luck and enjoy, fraser island looks like it would be a hoot

Post #125390616th Mar 2014 12:58 pm
alowson

Hi,

Thanks for advice especially with the tyre pressures. Have read quite a bit about turning off DCS so will make sure I will word up the family to shout up DCS when we start off. Very Happy

Used to have 19inch but went crazy with the options list this time for sexy 20inch which are not great but the Disco should still be good off the tarmac.

Having 2 young children a bit nervous about getting stuck but got a good set of recovery tools.

Cheers,

Andrew

Post #125459617th Mar 2014 10:50 pm
barryp

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Don't forget you need to turn off DCS after each start in the sand, it doesn't remember that it was off when you last had the vehicle running.
Regards
Barryp
 2017 Range Rover Sport TDV6 L494 Fuji White
2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 L320 Fuji White Loved but GONE
2010 TRAKKA Motorhome Fiat Ducato GONE (What a dud, don't buy one)
2006 Discovery 3 SE TDV6 Automatic Chawton White/Ebony. Loved but GONE
2006 BMW X5 diesel White/Charcoal, Bought new, gone after 12 years! Excellent vehicle.
Ex Member Range Rover Club NSW 

Post #125462418th Mar 2014 6:00 am
jg7

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I took the D3 (and kids) to Fraser last year. We had a great time and it is an absolutely beautiful place to visit.

I ran 20psi with 255/55 19's and DSC off and didn't have any problems. I was pleasantly surprised how well it went in the sand. I did opt for low range in the soft stuff which provided plenty of torque to pull through the more gnarly tracks.

Keeping a bit of momentum on the hills is important but there is always some bunny on fat 35's stopped half way up trying to decide which turn to take and then blasting off just as you come to a stop behind them. It was a little challenging getting going again in some cases but reversing back a short distance always provided a better launch pad to get moving forward again.

Enjoy the trip and go exploring. You've got the perfect vehicle for the job.

Post #125606220th Mar 2014 1:26 pm
Dan W

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

barryp wrote:
Don't forget you need to turn off DCS after each start in the sand, it doesn't remember that it was off when you last had the vehicle running.

Same goes for terrain response - it resets to normal mode when you switch off as well.

As for tyre pressure, I have 19's on my D4 and get around Moreton Island (Similar terrain to Fraser) on 18-20psi without any problems. 18psi looks really flat, and I was really worried at first about pinching the tyre but I got over it! I had 18's on the D3 and would regularly go to 16 psi, so 18psi on the 19's looks to me to be a similar level of "bagging"

I know what you mean about young ones - my first couple of off-road ventures with the family made me nervous even though I'd done it solo plenty of times before. I'm sure within 10 mins on the sand the Disco will give you the confidence to relax and enjoy Fraser - it's a beautiful place!
 2012 MY13 SDV6 SE D4 Ipanema Sand with Almond leather
2012 TDI Passat - they reckon the DSG is crap, I reckon it's awesome
2010 MY11 Mitsubishi Challenger - Gone (it was a "Challenging Year")
2007 MY08 TDV6 SE - gone 

Post #125679921st Mar 2014 9:52 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Resist the temptation to go for chunky tyres. I've done 3 trips to Tunisia on 17" road tyres and was getting stuck a lot less than those on MTRs. Momentum is everything, but if (more like when) you get stuck accept it quickly & summon help, otherwise you'll just dig yourself down til the car's resting on the chassis. Thumbs Up

Post #125682021st Mar 2014 10:55 pm
alowson

Hi All,

Just as an update I had a wonderful visit to Frasier Island. Must admit after reading too many websites about the Island and taking notice of the stated track status, i.e. very rough and soft I was a bit nervous taking the brand new Disco out.

But it just devoured everything up in its path, tyres to 20, sand mode on, low range, and suspension on high mode. Seemed almost unstoppable and glad I had the optional rear diff. 8)

Stayed at Kingfisher Bay so everyday was a great off-road adventure from West to East. Twisted Evil

Andrew

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #126952814th Apr 2014 5:08 am
matti4556

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks for the update Andrew. Fraser Is. sure is a beautiful part of the world. Can I ask - did you experiment with the terrain response? i.e. did she go just as well with the normal setting, was mud/ruts "punchier" etc - or do you feel that the engineers got it right with the sand mode for our deep and very fine sand here on the east coast? - Matti
 Buckingham Blue D3 - some clean bits, some dirty bits.  
Post #127071616th Apr 2014 9:32 am
SADISCOBOB

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

That sand track shown on the last 'photo looks same as Botswana sand ( very fine ). I was glad I had rear diff last time near Chobe as found a track without 'base' ruts and we just kept going down and slowing even with centre diff but rear diff made all the difference and we got back Laughing
I was using 18" and 0.8 bar, 11 p.s.i. but wouldn't go that far with 19" rims or if there was much direction change involved. I have been down to 15 p.s.i. with my 19" rims on but again straight line driving.
 Life always good with a Landy

2006 LR DISCO 3 4.4 V8 HSE
DISCO 1 2.8 TDi
DISCO11 TD5
RR CLASSIC 1980 3.5 V8 

Post #127265820th Apr 2014 7:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alowson

matti4556 wrote:
Thanks for the update Andrew. Fraser Is. sure is a beautiful part of the world. Can I ask - did you experiment with the terrain response? i.e. did she go just as well with the normal setting, was mud/ruts "punchier" etc - or do you feel that the engineers got it right with the sand mode for our deep and very fine sand here on the east coast? - Matti

Only put the TR in Sand mode and made sure DCS was off. Found for deep ruts and very sandy stuff low range was best and of course high mode on the air suspension.

I used to think paddle shift on a 3t 4X4 was a joke but it is brilliant when wanting fine control over the gears. Finger tip control. Very Happy

I paid the extra for a rear diff option when I ordered the last 4 LR and found it really useful giving the Disco a bit extra to pull through the tough stuff. Noticed on the 4x4 screen the rear diff locking quite a lot with the middle one only coming in when required.

I decided to keep tyre pressure around 20 to 25 as I was worried with brand new 20inch wheels about the tyres. And she seemed to do fine.

Post #127378923rd Apr 2014 10:27 am
alowson

SADISCOBOB wrote:
That sand track shown on the last 'photo looks same as Botswana sand ( very fine ). I was glad I had rear diff last time near Chobe as found a track without 'base' ruts and we just kept going down and slowing even with centre diff but rear diff made all the difference and we got back Laughing
I was using 18" and 0.8 bar, 11 p.s.i. but wouldn't go that far with 19" rims or if there was much direction change involved. I have been down to 15 p.s.i. with my 19" rims on but again straight line driving.

I agree the rear diff made a real difference and should be standard on such an expensive 4x4. Would never venture out with it.

At the weekend I went to another beach which because of high tide and over 600 other 4x4 traveling over the sand in the previous couple of days was a true nightmare. But the Disco with TR on sand and the rear diff it never got close to being stuck. Managing to manoeuvre even at low speed through very rough and deep sand.

Never taken the 20inch tyres below 20, not game for that. Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Love it.

Post #127379023rd Apr 2014 10:32 am
CLI

Australia 

Been to Fraser many times in a FL2 ( yet to get there in the D4)
Under 20 PSI
Sand mode
And everything went perfect
(except when i bellied out, lift kit fixed that for next time)

Post #127735030th Apr 2014 12:30 pm
glt.tce

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Sand driving

Have been to Fraser and Moreton Islands several times with the D4 with factory locking rear diff. Easy in all conditions with 20psi and sand mode. Sounds to be revving high, but if you look at instantaneous fuel it actually uses less at the higher revs. Just lift the suspension when in deep wheel tracks.

Post #152756711th Sep 2015 6:08 am
Ivan

United Kingdom 

I got a bit stuck on Bribie once so I used Rock Crawl on the TR and the D3 climbed out very easily.

Ivan
 2013 RR Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Luxury SD4 

Post #152799611th Sep 2015 9:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >