Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

Is it time to close D5 on D3/4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 10 <12345678910>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Not seen a graph ...it pulls like a train tbf... I'd like to see it compared to the D4 3.0 Smile

Post #194612317th May 2018 10:18 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Here you go: Thumbs Up
Click image to enlarge
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #194612917th May 2018 10:37 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

And here with the 2.7TDV6 and the 3SDV6:
Click image to enlarge
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #194613017th May 2018 10:41 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

600nm (?) for the D4 SDV6, but of course a heavier vehicle. Still a sweeter engine to drive than the single 3.0 TD6 in the D5 I drove, IMO of course. The new twin turbo 3.0 sounds more like it though. Thumbs Up

I'm hoping the D5 I'll have next month will be a 2.0, will be interesting to compare.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #194613117th May 2018 10:41 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Click image to enlarge

Cheers Thumbs Up

I didn't think there'd be such a difference between the two 3.0's.

Post #194613317th May 2018 10:45 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

For a bit of balance to the negative comments ref driving a D5.
My 17my 3L v6 derv is now on 16,784 miles. The gearbox is smooth, the engine in smooth, it goes like fook, no hesitation. My car has been a builders van and tow vehicle for the last 12 months. Just like my D3's and D4's I ran before I got the 5.
I would like to add that this vehicle has been the most reliable Land Rover I have owned.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #194613417th May 2018 10:46 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I have to say that I'm not that keen on the SDV6 / 8sp combo in my 12MY RRS. If you get everything right then it goes well enough and is smooth indeed but it's often slow to respond to the throttle and then suddenly goes. Makes smooth progress difficult at times. Put it in sport and dynamic mode and it makes sense, making progress well and very smoothly (if a little soullessly compared to my old TDV8). Put pottering around it seems to want to stay in one or two gears too high. I've found, by flapping the paddles in D once stopped, that it sometimes stays in 3rd at a junction. Almost as if it's forgotten to drop down ready for the pull away.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #194613617th May 2018 10:49 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

LT wrote:
RRSTDV8 wrote:
Click image to enlarge

Cheers Thumbs Up

I didn't think there'd be such a difference between the two 3.0's.

You want the first plot for the comparison between 3.0s. Thumbs Up
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #194613717th May 2018 10:50 pm
LT

I realised I'd quoted the wrong graph, but CBA'd to edit it. Thumbs Up

Post #194614217th May 2018 11:02 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #194617618th May 2018 8:38 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I’m genuinely fascinated to read what’s been happening to this forum… even though I’m now an outsider with another make of car entirely. This place was always so much more than just information about D3/4’s and how to repair them!

It’s also been the humour (sometimes very funny), camaraderie and very real sense of community that’s kept me coming back when I really should have been doing something else. Apart from the hard work of the moderators, I’m convinced that much of the success of this forum was directly as a result of the ‘type’ of customer that bought (or aspired to buy) the original D3 and D4. It was a unique vehicle both in design and capability - and so were it’s owners!

Unfortunately, the D5 is clearly not aimed at those customers… we’ve yet to see if whatever LR were thinking works out, but the sad fact is, not only have they split the market, they’ve also split this forum!

If the D5 area is closed, where will will go to take the p*** out of anyone who’s just wasted a shed load of cash on a pointless fashion accessory? Laughing
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #194618518th May 2018 8:57 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

www.disco5.co.uk Thumbs Up

Post #194619618th May 2018 9:28 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

crews control wrote:
I’m genuinely fascinated to read what’s been happening to this forum… even though I’m now an outsider with another make of car entirely. This place was always so much more than just information about D3/4’s and how to repair them!

It’s also been the humour (sometimes very funny), camaraderie and very real sense of community that’s kept me coming back when I really should have been doing something else. Apart from the hard work of the moderators, I’m convinced that much of the success of this forum was directly as a result of the ‘type’ of customer that bought (or aspired to buy) the original D3 and D4. It was a unique vehicle both in design and capability - and so were it’s owners!

Unfortunately, the D5 is clearly not aimed at those customers… we’ve yet to see if whatever LR were thinking works out, but the sad fact is, not only have they split the market, they’ve also split this forum!

If the D5 area is closed, where will will go to take the p*** out of anyone who’s just wasted a shed load of cash on a pointless fashion accessory? Laughing

Laughing Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #194619818th May 2018 9:33 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

crews control wrote:

If it helps keep the "Brotherhood of the Disco" together, come on over to www.rrsport.co.uk and take the p. We can probably kick a football about and smoke some crack whilst chewing the fat. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #194623118th May 2018 11:36 am
KiwiD4

New Zealand 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

I may as well throw in my 2 cents....

Any persons choices - car, religion, sexual persuasion, whatever - are just that. Their choices. I may not agree with them, but I don’t need to. I’m allowed to express an opinion, but it shouldn’t be in a way that belittles them or tries to convert them to my way of thinking. As long as they are not harming me or anyone else, why should I care?

What car we drive is a matter of personal preference. Absolutely, the very nature that we are even on this forum means we are more passionate about our vehicles that the average car owner. Naturally, with passion comes a desire for everyone else to share that passion, but that’s not always the way - and nor should it be.

There are many cars I don’t like, but that doesn’t give me the right to run down those tha do buy them.

I think a lot of what goes on here is good old banter, but sometimes that is misunderstood - not necessarily by the parties directly involved, but also by the others reading it. That gets people’s blood up, and sometimes all Censored seems to break loose.

The world would be a much better place if everyone just treated everyone else with a little respect. That equally applies to both sides of a ‘discussion’.

As for the 3/4/5 thing. Taste changes. Sometimes it takes a while. I wonder what the forums were like in 2004 when the D3 launched. Personally, as a proud D1/2 owner, I couldn’t stand the 3. I thought the back end looked like a Transit, and the interior styling was a step backwards. Obviously, I slowly changed my mind as my 4 is the nicest green oval I have ever owned, by far. Honestly, I’m still not that keen on the 3, the styling looks a little dated to me, and I still can’t stand the interior. But I don’t need to convert every 3 owner I come across.

I wasn’t thrilled with the 5 when it launched either. To me it now looks too generic, just like so many other manufacturers. Take the badge off and it could be a Kia or a Ford. However, it is slowly growing on me, like the 3/4 did. I haven’t driven one yet, and when I do, I’m sure I will love it. I will probably own one, one day as well. Just like I now have a 4, when I always said I wouldn’t touch a 3. The 4 is nearly the same vehicle.

So, live and let live. Express your opinion, but have some respect as well. The culture of this forum is what draws people in, and keeps them here even when they no longer own a 3 or 4, or in some cases, any LR.

Let’s not ruin that culture just to score a few cheap points.

Sorry, rant over. I’m off to bed.
 King of the typo.

MY11 D4 5.0 V8, Bournville, lots of goodies!

Now departed: '85 RR Vogue, '94 D1, '95 D1, '70 SIIA, '97 D1, '04 D2a. All V8, except for the SIIA - but that drank as much petrol anyway! 

Post #194623218th May 2018 11:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >