Page 3 of 8 <12345678>
catweasel

BBS SPY wrote:
(oh already done that)
(oh already done that)
(oh already done that)

what was you thinking?
Thud
was thinking you're being a bit of a smart Censored good sales technique Thumbs Up
have never owned nor seen one so asked Rolling Eyes

Post #16755917th Jun 2007 3:18 am
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

OH. Confused Confused Confused
All I would like to do is,

1. Be able to manually set suspension hight and not have it do its own thing !

2. Be able to reset the computor my self if it shuts down on me in the middle of nowhere , if this
happens the only option I am told is to have it towed to dealer to reset on his computor.

I assume access to this stuff can be gained manually if you can find the code and sequence, alass LR
are sure not going to let this out. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Rob Bruce

Post #16757017th Jun 2007 6:51 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Sorry Catweasel, im'e a techie not a sales man, If that means i am seen as a smart A$%* rather than an A$%* kisser then so be it. I am not here to promote us our our product. I am here as a matter of courtesy and interest to help anyone who might have technical questions related to dignostics.

My reply was a light hearted way to differenciate between what we had done already and was needing to do, making a point that we had already achieved a number of things which the dealer cannot do.

My question was intended to mean, did you have some particular feature in mind ?
Your answer was a bit short for me to tell.

Rob thanks for your input.
Not sure if we have done EAS hight settings (item 1) yet, if not it will very likely be added soon, as its an important requirement in our eyes. As with all our software for previous vehicles, it is never a completed product at launch time. Thats not to say it is not way past what most everyone would need, but we will probably always be adding more bells and whistles to it.

Item 2 is just a matter of clearing fault codes if there is not actually a fault present, as in it was just a glitch that caused a shut down of a system. I understand that this happens a lot with the Disco 3. Hopefully if enough enthusists get our equipment we can all start to find out what is really happening, because as everyone knows only two well, you dont always get the real picture from your average dealer.

Your assumption on access merits deeper comment though, as is an interesting factor, that explains an awful lot.
As most might already know, know the Disco 3 uses CAN busses, these convey inter ECU comms at a rate of up to 2500 per second as well as diagnostic messeges. In effect when you plug in a diagnostic tool it is just another ECU in the networt, and like the others it can send requests to any ECU for information or simply listen in to existing traffic. CAN however is simply a transport layer for Data and unless the conveyed Data is as per a fixed standard, like OBDII complient requests from a scan tool for emmisions related information form the engine management ECU, anything else is entirely at the discretion of the manufacturer.
That means although one of the millions of messages might be wheel speed, there is no way to know which it is without some serious dev work.

In respect of diagnostic instructions to ECU's it is far worse than just a case of a code sequence, the manufacturer uses a 24 bit rolling code algorythm as anti access security. To do anything at all really, you have to be able to negotiate that. This is the big difference that few appreciate between equipment like ours that is manufacturer dedicated for all on board systems and a generic OBDII scan tool which can only access limited data from power train ECU's. I cannot stress enough that our equipment is absolutely not an over priced scan tool. It is a very inexpensive professional tool. We dont even bother to pull up OBDII data using the standards.

What is even more interesting is that all this secrecy is absolutely in conflict with the Block exemption regulations, BER1400/2002, which under section 28 should force manufacturers to divulge the information we require, but they ignore or side step it as it is fairly unenforcable.
If memory servers me, the statement made about Ford in a large independant servey of several companies compliance to BER was. "they state that they give such information, but they dont"

Hope this helps others to understand a little more about why they so often see scan tools offered at very cheap prices but then do not understand why there is not a plethora of places around that can fix anything that goes wrong on their vehcile.

Sadly many OBDII scan tools pass themselves of as fully compatible with a given vehicle model, however to they dont declare that they mean only to the degree of OBDII compatibility. They can sometimes read codes from some of the other ECU's but only if those ECUs deliver codes in an OBDII compliant manner on OBDII compliant pins of teh connector and with valid OBDII look up meanings.

For example, despite having paid very close attention to the industry for years, having several of the most advanced scan tools myself, and having spoken at length with owners of many more that they rate, I have never encounterd a scan tool that can even connect to the Low speed CAN bus (125Mhz) on a ford at all, especially as the pins used for it are not to any standard except Fords own.

Right Now, Elektor (a popular electronics magazine) is doing a kit for an standalone LCD displayed OBDII scan code tool for just 51 pounds including case keypad and Cable (basically everything). It is bang up to date and even covers CAN making it complient with even very new vehciles. Its blurb states that it can read and decode 500 odd generic OBDII code into the text meaning up text which is very impressive, but then you start to see what i mean about limited when you realise that our system has a text meaning for 65 thousand Ford specific codes for ever one of the 25 possible ECU's on a vehicle.

Sorry if that sounded a bit like self praise there, but i hope you start to realise just how much is not covered within any industry standard.

regards

BBS SPY

Post #16760117th Jun 2007 2:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

A very interesting post and I guess this is going to be a growth area as more cars of this nature become affordable. Is this going to be the next stage of the chipping war Laughing
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #16762217th Jun 2007 8:09 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I do have a basic OBDII reader on my Palm. The only time I tried it on the D3, I was able to read some codes but nothing really serious. in fact, on that day, according to that reader, my D3 was perfect !

I am VERY interested on a product like the ROVACOM because, and I agree with explanation that was given, it is far more than what my basic reader is ! That allow for much better flexibility.

The problem, for me, is that the ROVACOM website is REALLY a mess... Whistle Sorry guys, but finding something unto it is probably more difficult than using your software ! Very Happy Thus, I am "on hold"... I'll wait to see what develops... Wink
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #16762517th Jun 2007 8:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Yep , i agree, it is a mess

There is actually a good technical reason for it ending up like that, but that is no excuse.
we are trying to make it better and have it on our to do list to shove it all in the skip and start again
on a server from a provider who will allow us to update our own PHP version. Twisted Evil

our system software is much better honest Bow down

you can download a demo from the downloads section

Post #16764017th Jun 2007 8:48 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Ok, I'll admit that I'm confused.

Is there Rovacom or equivalent available for the D3 at present??
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #16771818th Jun 2007 1:55 am
garryc

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Rovacom

I just got a quote from HARD RANGE(www.hardrange.com) and the cost is close to $5000 Shocked as the D3 module is $3375 on its own as there aren't separate modules for each area as in previous Landies. For a D2 it costs about $2000 all up with hardware and software.
 2013 D4, E-diff, Vision pack

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #16772018th Jun 2007 3:36 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya Guys.
Hope i can straighten this out for you

for our origional ROVACOM LITE and ROVACOM PRO systems costing about GBP 450 to 750 each respectively, you can buy software modules, traditionally one for each vehcle system seperately, These cost on average about GBP 100 each. In this way, you get to choose what you want to cover.

We recently released an upgrade for PRO and LITE that allowed it to cover Disco 3, but instead of lots of seperate modules as people expected, it is just a single module for the whole vehicle, including any variant or any optional extras. Thats because the up to 25 vehicle ECU's are so heavily linked by the CAN bus that we have to treat the vehicle as one. The cost of that one software module is GBP 1395

YOu seem to have been quoted for this module and hardware on top.

Now however we are just releasing two new systems, called FAULTMATE MV and FAULTMATE SV.
the MV is like the old systems, but the SV is designed to be used on only one specific vehicle, thats by the VIN not a model.

For a disco 3 all the hardware and software for the whole vehcile in this system comes to only GBP 821

Thats why theres so much interest in it.

Last edited by BBS SPY on 19th Jun 2007 7:59 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #16783118th Jun 2007 1:56 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Do I understand correctly that the Faultmate SV is a single vehicle (As in my own D3 and nothing else even my neighbour D3) system ? That is the one which is around 800£, no ?

What then is the price of the Faultmate MV which, if I understand correctly, would allow me to help with any D3 ?
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #16789918th Jun 2007 5:56 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

BBS SPY,

If your equipment can talk to all the on board systems on the D3, will it be able to enable the rear camera input on the premium sat-nav display? If not, is this on the cards for the future?
This is a feature I'm sure many of us would like to have enabled - IMHO this is a safety feature, not a premium offering and should already be available from LR.

Thanks for your participation in the forum!

Right, off to work out what organs I'd need to sell to get a faultmate SV, and who I need to harvest them from...
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #16790518th Jun 2007 6:06 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya Gurvan
Yep, you got it spot on, the 800 pound SV system is a professional manufacturer dedicated system for your vehicle and yours alone. not the friends, nor the neighbours, nor the next one off the production line.

The MV costs have not been finalised absolutely but it is going to be either a few pounds over or under 2000

stapldm, will get back to you in detail on that shortly, spreading myself a bit thin just now as you might appreciate.

Post #16812119th Jun 2007 8:25 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

So the SV system is completely useless if you change your car?
 The End  
Post #16816019th Jun 2007 11:55 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Slimer wrote:
So the SV system is completely useless if you change your car?

Not to the bloke that buys it though Shocked
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #16816919th Jun 2007 12:14 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

BBS SPY wrote:

stapldm, will get back to you in detail on that shortly, spreading myself a bit thin just now as you might appreciate.

Thumbs Up Thanks, but there's no rush, we're all still going to be here Smile

I wish I could spread myself thin - I just seem to spread wider instead Sad
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #16817919th Jun 2007 12:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >