Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

100k report - the good, the bad and the ugly
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4
100k report - the good, the bad and the ugly

100k just clicked up, thought I would look at how it had been in case anyone is interested, perhaps it might help anyone wondering.

The Good: I have never been stranded but always got home, although occasionally with difficulty (see the Bad).
It has been a very comfortable and safe transport for my family all over, has coped with camping and cycling trips with ease, ferries my daughters pony all over the place without noticing, and has done 12 trips to the Alps without missing a beat. On winter tyres when there, it is unstoppable going up hills. Sadly it is nearly unstoppable going down too, but the HDC is fantastic, so as long as you never let the speed build up, then you should be fine.
I paid 45k for it new (with NFU discount) and it is now worth about 18k. I reckon that is depreciation of 27k, or £500 per month, or 27p per mile. Good value I say.

The bad: restricted performance twice due to sticking actuator valve, fixed under warranty. Wiper motor failed 200 miles from Calais on a Sunday night- hairy journey home. Bonnet catch sensor failed, two rear door catches replaced, replaced about 12 wheel nuts so far. Total servicing costs so far £7421 including brake replacements (three sets of pads and one discs front and back). Spent a fortune on wiper blades, can't get them to last more than about 3 months without lumping. Original battery was never up to task, replaced with AGM last winter.

The ugly: Spent £2632 on tyres, two sets of winters, one set of ATRS, and now Zeros again as can't get ATR's.Fuel never got more than about 25mpg real, so 4,000 gallons, call it £25,000.
Satnav can be rubbish, always have to check Google Maps before setting out.

Verdict: Bl++dy good car, if you need a reliable workhorse and luxury vehicle in one, nothing comes close. Depreciation is ok, but it is expensive to run.
 d4 HSE  
Post #13508821st Oct 2014 12:39 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

What year is it, and with your depreciation I guess you have to add fuel, servicing and parts to get the true cost to you per mile, can you work that out from your average MPG and costs? Would be interesting Thumbs Up

Post #13509041st Oct 2014 1:26 pm
stick

30/3/2010

62p all-in per mile not including insurance
 d4 HSE  
Post #13509131st Oct 2014 1:42 pm
Dudleydisco

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for posting Stick. It makes an informative read, and I'm sure none of us thought that running a D4 was ever going to be cheap Wink Thumbs Up
 D4 MY14 XXV - RLD/IID BT
D4 MY13 HSE Lux - RLD/IID BT
P38 RR - Sad parting
110 - Even sadder parting
S3 88" - Still going strong after 23 years of ownership Smile

Post #13509301st Oct 2014 2:06 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Off topic but got me thinking how much I'd spent in a similar vein.........

In last 27 months I've done 45, 682 miles total over 3 jaguar XKR's

at an average of 21mpg (they've consistently averaged that over all types of usage) that's 2175.33 gallons of unleaded.

I can only assume the average cost to be around £1.32 a litre as don't keep that close a record but guess that wouldn't be a million miles off?

So that's 9887 litres = £13,050.84...........flippin' eck Shocked

I should run a diesel Fiesta and save a fortune Rolling Eyes

Post #13509571st Oct 2014 3:30 pm
promitheus

Greece 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Very interesting report there Stick! Thanks!

Having seen those figures, I'm glad a use a FIAT 500 diesel for daily commute! 8)

Could you elaborate a bit on the downhill-ing on snow, as I would expect some snow here this year and want to be a bit prepared. I've got myself a set of snow spider chains, but the 3 tonne weight of our D4's always frightens me a bit!

Post #13523044th Oct 2014 7:48 am
stick

Hi Promitheus

Tyres are the key thing. IF you are on regular all-season tyres then they will have very little grip on ice. Loose snow is better, but still not great. I am a big fan of tyres with the snowflake on. I have been on ice where I could not stand up, and the car has retained traction. Mind you, if it is a slope, one doesn't want to stop there - soon be sliding down.

Snow chains are fine and you should use them on ice if only got all-season tyres, but they will only hold the front, so the back could want to slide out. I guess at that point you would have to be brave and give it a little throttle to try and pull it in.

THe key thing is to not let the momentum build up, so keep speed down to safe levels. Selecting low range and HDC will do that well down hill. If your tyres are not the best, it could still start to slide. Again you would have to be brave and give the car a little throttle so it can regain grip and then start to slow down again.

Hope that helps. Really good car on snow and ice, but weight is an issue!

George
 d4 HSE  
Post #13523194th Oct 2014 8:33 am
promitheus

Greece 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi George,

Your explanation is spot on, really what I was looking for, a simple and practical guide! I suppose I'm not going for winter tires this year. However, I'm realy anxious to test my D4 on snow. Thanks a lot, mate! Thumbs Up

Post #13524984th Oct 2014 5:04 pm
sj9011

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks for the post, but I really must say in my previous D3 and my D4(256 hp 8 speed) even with factory tyres I get 55K on the tyres and at least 80K on brake pads without discs replacement and 'im towing 3.5t 90% of the time so not sure why your brake cost is so high, I am averaging 25mpg and that's towing, I sit at 56mph on tacho

Sean

Post #13529755th Oct 2014 7:49 pm
SN

I've never managed better than 30K on a set of pads - and 50K on discs - both autos - no idea how you're getting so many miles out of yours
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #13530735th Oct 2014 11:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The D4 is MUCH better than the 3 on tyres and brakes Steve.

Iv'e got 35k on mine now, just changed the brakes, and could have probably got another 3k out of them if I felt the need. Still on original Scorpions, although I have had my off-roads on for a couple of k. Got about 5k left on them I reckon.

Post #13531826th Oct 2014 10:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >