Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

What did they put in my windscreen wash?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Joyride4life

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
What did they put in my windscreen wash?

Just been on the phone to LR dealership who were doing some warranty work. Said the car could be dropped off now...

However before they come to drop it off I checked something as I complained that on collection (9am) the rear washer jet wasn't working and the front ones were very weak. Seemed like an icing issue as it was only 1 degree C this morning after perhaps -2 last night. Not understanding why it would be a problem as it was completely refilled (from very low at time of service) by LR a week and a half ago.

Instead of accepting there might be something wrong, the service person said it was working fine (despite it not working when it was collected) and she only knew they put in LR approved fluid. Clearly overly diluted or just Fairy liquid, as my bottle of Preston by my front door in undiluted state goes to -23C. I said it wouldn't take a brain surgeon or a nuclear engineer to figure out it was the wrong fluid mix.... She said I was being rude (i never swore or directly called into question her intellect) and she hung up. Still waiting for her to ring back and tell me the car is actually on its way or that they think there is actually a problem....

I would have thought that given there was an item of £5 and change before VAT on the bill for washer fluid (apparently included in the service cost) I would just have emptied the whole lot out and replaced it with new stuff...

Also, as the warranty work was a door seal they haven't washed the car..... not sure if the door seal hasn't been washed down how it can be a good job, and wondering why also it is ok not to wash the car because of the seal but road icing salts are ok on the new seal????

Post #14213396th Feb 2015 1:16 pm
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

If you cant see how your brain surgeon reference isnt patronising and insulting then
theres no point trying to explain you were just plain rude ,why should she have to listen to it

if your verbal skills are as poor as your written explanations then she proboably never had a clue what you were on about
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #14213476th Feb 2015 1:28 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Not sure which dealer you have used in Manchester and we shouldnt name names on the site - I've always used Williams and the service I have had over the past 10 years has always been top drawer - only ever had a couple of issues that they fell over themselves to fix.
And by the way, if somebody spoke to me like that, I'd put the phone down as well

Post #14213496th Feb 2015 1:30 pm
Joyride4life

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

She should have to listen to at least what I was saying before I made such condescending remarks about the quality of the deductive thinking.
She initially said there was nothing wrong. So I insisted there was something wrong. So she offered that it was probably frozen this morning. To which I responded that it shouldn't be frozen as I had new windscreen washer fluid in it a week earlier. She insisted that it was frozen as it worked now. So I suggested that the fluid they put in was not winter spec. She "went off to check (i.e. put me on hold and called up the guys in the back) and told me that they would only put Land Rover approved fluids into the vehicle. So I asked why it would have frozen when the stuff I put in only freezes at -18C if it's neat. She replied that it was land rover approved. This is when I said it didn't take a brain surgeon or a nuclear engineer to figure out that it was not the right fluid for this time of year.

So Mark, I'm willing to guess she did know what I was saying. Yes I probably have a low EQ. Yes I should have kept my cool and not gotten to a point where my remarks became condescending. I did however feel annoyed that she should have understood that if the correct fluid was in the screen wash and if that had definitely gone down the full length of the line, then the line should not freeze. If someone doesn't understand that, then I have to wonder. Maybe I should have just kept my mouth agape and said nothing.

I won't name dealerships here as it is a bit pointless, and maybe this needs moving over to the rants section now. Also, I have now apologised to the service person as there is no point leaving her feeling bad for my quick temper.

Post #14213696th Feb 2015 2:03 pm
markwirral

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

EQ or IQ Rolling with laughter

Post #14213746th Feb 2015 2:26 pm
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

[/quote]Also, I have now apologised to the service person as there is no point leaving her feeling bad for my quick temper.[/quote]

I think this sentence is very telling Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #14213846th Feb 2015 2:51 pm
farmerboy

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I used to dream of only having a frozen screen washer to worry about..... but, then again, if a job is worth doing it is worth doing properly.

If I were rich enough to pay someone to fill my washer bottle I would damn well expect it to be done right!!! Rolling Eyes
 2007 Base D3 - Buckingham Blue
Mods...
Off road "adventure XS" air freshener
Off road "My back hurts - GLX" lumbar support.
All Terrain Racing (incontinence) seat covers
SAGA GTX remap (30% power reduction plus max 2000 rpm limit) 

Post #14214256th Feb 2015 4:30 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

You should obtain a sample of your washer fluid and send it off to an independent lab to be tested.

Whilst doing so, start up a website, maybe www.landroverfobbedmeoffwithsubstandardwasherjetfluid.com where you can garner the support of like-minded individuals

As the tests will take several weeks to come back and confirm your suspicions of foul play and negligence, it would be prudent to use the time to contact Land Rover and demand an explanation as to why a marque that is supposed to be able to "go anywhere", "do anything" is quite obviously trading of its reputation, first it was producing a 2WD Evoque and now it's as bad as using washer fluid that quite obviously not pass the Arctic test.

By the time the results come back you'll be armed with all the information you need to take the dealership to court for all the time, trouble and emotional stress it has caused you.

Good luck!
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #14214806th Feb 2015 6:05 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter @ dubbs
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #14215016th Feb 2015 6:28 pm
Robse

United Kingdom 

I'm with you Joyride4life. It's your car, if you're not happy with something they've done let the Censored ers have it. They take enough money from us.
 Velar MY18 D180 S Narvik
Discovery MY2015 3.0 SDV6 SE Corris - Gone 

Post #14215046th Feb 2015 6:30 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Has Discotres moved to Manchester? Shocked

Post #14215186th Feb 2015 6:39 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Far too little innuendo and not an amazon link in site.....

.... damn I miss him on here.... !! Laughing
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #14215216th Feb 2015 6:41 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

dubbs wrote:
You should obtain a sample of your washer fluid and send it off to an independent lab...

Bow down

Laughing
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #14215246th Feb 2015 6:42 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Maybe also complain that despite the freezing temperatures they chose not to wash it, tch tch

Last edited by adam on 6th Feb 2015 6:47 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #14215276th Feb 2015 6:44 pm
UKJay

England 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyLR4

Erm,

As you have let the washer bottle run very low, I thought I would offer to give you another point to consider whilst your being a bit direct to the service lady!

Are you aware that the washer bottles can have bacteria grow in them, which unfortunately manifests in what looks like snot in the water - which then results in low pressure in the nozzles and or blocked completely. Therefore, as they filled the bottle from a very low level on the service, they could have stirred up the bottom of the washer bottle allowing this snot to be drawn into the pump /pipework, resulting in your symptoms?

Maybe you should check all the pipework, remove the bottle and pumps to see if your washer bottle is contaminated with said slime.

Post #14215316th Feb 2015 6:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >