TDV6 Injector replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
winmar

Netherlands 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

HPFP = High Pressure Fuel Pump

O-man wrote:
Hi

I am having a leaky injector in the middle on the right side (right side when I look through the windshield). I will try to follow this excellent write-up to get it out.

My question is, do I absolutely need to undo the fuel pipes and how do i do that?

Under picture 3 he wrote: Undo fuel pipes from HPFP.

Where and what is the HPFP?

Thanks
O-man
 D5 HSE TDV6 (gone but not forgotten)
D3 HSE 60 Years Edition
D2 TD5 Highlander (gone but not forgotten) 

Post #22084486th Feb 2021 7:47 pm
O-man

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Thanks Pete.

Following your advice I left as much as possible in place.
I managed to wiggle out the plastic tray sitting on the fuel pipe without removing any
pipes, leaving the coolant and the fuel pipes where they are.

With the plastic tray out, I could move the wiring loom just enough to get to the injector.

I undid the fuel pipes directly on the injector, the retaining clip on the plastic one with a small flathead screwdriver, ready with a magnet where it came out so it would not disappear. Success!

Next I got out the two bolts on either side if the injector. They came out pretty easy.

But now...
The injector has been leaking for a while, building up black carbon deposits around it. I have soaked the area with oven-cleaning stuff, and managed to remove some of it before this job.

However, I cannot move the injector at all. What is the best way to get it out? I am afraid to put to much leverage on it, some ugly cracking noises sounded when i tried to use a lever.

Should I soak the thing with something, like wd40 or brake disc cleaner and let it sit for a while?
Is it safe to put a lot of pressure on the injector or can I brake something else?

The car is a 2005 and in not the best condition.

Not the cleanest car.

Post #22086337th Feb 2021 2:19 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I twisted the injectors to get it out.

You can get injector pullers

Post #22086497th Feb 2021 3:01 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I use a large flat bladed screwdriver in the securing bracket to turn the injector back and forth while pulling the top upwards with my other hand
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #22086577th Feb 2021 3:23 pm
JaseLloyd

United Kingdom 
Injector Clean

Thanks Disco_Mikey!
Looking to replace the copper o rings on the injectors and give them a general clean out.
Is it best to use an Injector Puller?

Seems like a good video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5WP36UjJg...mp;index=5

Thanks all. Love this forum.
Jason (Land Rover Disco 3 TDV6 XS 2007)

Post #222668625th Apr 2021 2:49 pm
tareqyounis

United States 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Hi,
My 2006 D3 has been rough idling at start up, once the engine heats up the idle does smooth up a bit but still not normal, these are my cylinder balance offset readings:

Does this mean that only injector 5 needs to be replaced?
Thanks
 discovery 3 , 2006 , TDV6  
Post #22338333rd Jun 2021 7:29 am
Shealesy

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi everyone,

First post on here so I though I’d resurrect this old thread (again) as it is most relevant.

I’ll head on over to the intro page too and say hi over there Very Happy

I recently bought a MY05 D3 TDV6 and am having a gloriously head scratching injector issue. (I’m a rambler so this will be a long post… apologies in advance and thanks I’m advance if you manage to get all the way to the end!)

I’ve read this thread, and many others, so I think I have a handle on it, but just looking for someone else to offer some insight and check my thinking.

On the test drive around Perth and the 5hr drive home to Caithness it was, of course, absolutely faultless, aside from the hole in the washer bottle…

Since then it has developed a bing warning, but without a message on screen. It took me a little while to work it out, but I soon caught on that it was as the revs dropped below ~1700 on gear changes, slowing down or coming to a stop.

Engine typically starts within 2 seconds from stone cold (much better than my 14 plate Insignia, even in this warm weather…), and is almost instant when warm.
I’m hopeful for the long, cold winters of Caithness! (Will read/ask somewhere else about how to check if the FBH works before I need it)

So this only happens after 20+ miles of driving, once the engine is good and hot and has been for a while. It won’t do it at all when any cooler or cold. No smoke of any colour at any temperature but it does smell a little diesely to stand around behind. Not choking on it, but unpleasant for sure.

Borrowed a mates code reader (Autel MaxiDiag Elite) and have a “Cylinder 3 balance - fuel trim at minimum limit” code.

Found my way through the reader to live values and good-and-warm idling (when the fault is present) have injector trims for 1,2,3 and 6 at around 1000 (+/- 20), seemingly normalish by what I’ve read through this thread.

However inj. 4 is sitting at 1301 and inj. 5 at 693.

From the engine map posted earlier, that puts injector 4 in cylinder 5 and injector 5 in cylinder 3.

Bingo! Cylinder 3 fault, but is it? I spotted another post saying the higher value (inj4, cyl5) is the troubled one.

The spanner in the works here is that I’m also scratching my head over a minor fuel leak. It drips from the fuel filter, and the cross member beside it so I figure it could be a duff pipe, bad connection or leaky filter.
But in removing the engine cover yesterday there is a moistness of diesel around inj5/cyl3 which is straight up from the filter.

So I’ll boil this down to:
Could inj5 have a leak/need tweaked down/leak off pipe etc which is throwing inj5 and inj4 values off?
Or
Is inj4 proper duff, throwing inj5 off and the leak is maybe historic, maybe coincidental and the diesel around the filter is a separate issue?

And to note, I haven’t yet gotten hold of a jack and stands capable of lifting this thing to get a better look at the filter.
I’m also not going to be pulling an injector out for the next couple of weeks as the bump is now beyond 38 weeks, the wife is beyond ready to pop and has declared the Disco as her chosen vehicle for the 2 hour drive to the maternity unit.

If you made it this far, thank you! And I appreciate any insight.

Shealesy

Post #223717920th Jun 2021 12:45 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

You can access fuel filter with car in off road height and cover shield removed, in fact with it in off road height you can see the top of the filter through the wheelarch.
Do not go underneath without some sort of axle stand etc.

Post #223720120th Jun 2021 2:46 pm
tareqyounis

hi Shealesy,
can you please better describe the symptoms you are experiencing,

its usually the injector with the higher reading that needs replacing, injector 4 at 1301 is high but doesnt necessarily mean its at fault, your issue might be elsewhere, and if you end up replacing injector 4 you will end up getting totally different readings for all 6 cylinders than what you had before replacing injector 4, another injector with a high reading might pop up, take a look at my post over here:

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/hpfp-high-p...95728.html

the leak near the injector is probably from the return fuel hose thats hooked to the injector, it has a tiny oring that needs to be replaced.
Post #223742821st Jun 2021 5:17 pm
tareqyounis

Post #223743021st Jun 2021 5:18 pm
Shealesy

Lynalldiscovery - top tip that. Went in with the boroscope today, still none the wiser! Though the sun was very bright (in caithness?) so couldn’t see the screen particularly well. I’ll wait for rain and try again. That’ll be tomorrow Laughing

Tareqyounis - the major symptom is the warning bing with no message, I’m driving everywhere a gear down, keeping the revs around or above 2k, to keep it quiet and the already limited fuel economy is suffering for it! It’s driving us mad!

I have once, briefly, seen an ESF which is when I decided to swing by my mates and grabbed his code reader, but it resulted in nothing more than finding the “cylinder 3 balance” code, which has come up again without an ESF . No limp mode or any kind of reduced performance. The ESF was gone when I restarted after my trip round the shop.

The only occasional symptom I figure matches is when manoeuvring on idle or very gentle throttle at the end of a journey, movement is “jumpy” but a sharp touch of the throttle fixes that and it settles down again immediately.
I’ve also poked around near the injectors and I suspect the moistness around that area may just be from a sloppy oil top up sometime in its past. There’s nothing proper wet and no active drips that I can see.
I’ll grab one of those leak off test kits and get scientific about things after the imminent arrival.

It could just be a persistent intermittent fault, but with a 1200 miles round trip approaching next month I’d rather be sure, and riding in silence!

The fuel leak I’m still suspecting is the filter, it doesn’t look young. I’m wondering if there’s also a condenser hose or similar from the air con in that area? Some of the drips I witnessed today under there were just water.

Cheers!

Post #223750121st Jun 2021 11:09 pm
Shealesy

New symptom! A very light, white looking smoke when absolutely flooring it, over and above 3500rpm. A little Ferrari tune up Laughing Goes away when the urge to change gear wins over. Nothing you wouldn’t follow on the road.
Could just be that it hasn’t seen that level of revs (abuse?) in quite a while. Not going to do that too often!

Fuel filter ordered, should arrive next week. Leak off kit ordered which I’ll hook up when I feel safe to be without the Disco for a day (at worst, I hope).

Post #223803324th Jun 2021 11:00 am
Alaister

United Kingdom 
Ultrasonic clean

Can anyone advise if the fuel injectors on my 2005 TDV6 2.7 with 145,000 miles would benefit from ultrasonic cleaning, as I have such a machine and the cleaning fluid?

Post #22604235th Nov 2021 8:54 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yes they do often BUT i would read the values first and if they are ok (quite te same) leave them alone…
Is is easy to damage them… can be a pain to remove, damaging something in the proces..
They are very, and i mean very expensive….
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #22604245th Nov 2021 9:06 am
Justme

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

As this seems to be the place for cylinder balance stuff I will ​tag in here.

No fault codes, no problems was just playing with the IID BT.

Cylinder balance at 765 rpm

1 1204
2 612
3 1093
4 995
5 1051
6 946

Do I need to worry?

Post #227247012th Jan 2022 7:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Jump to: