Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

Sat in a Disco 5 today
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 47 <123 4 ... 454647>
rikster23

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I went to see one at the Croydon Harwoods showroom a couple of weeks back and am off to the Lewes showroom this weekend to see it again.

We had a Landmark for 4 months earlier this year, right up until my wife wrote it off (don't ask... everyone was fine)...

It is a very different car to the landmark.

Positives:

Just much more modern and sumptuous... it really does feel like a range rover. In fact, I sat in a RRS after the disco and it felt more cramped and a little old fashioned by comparison. It really has moved considerably up market.

I'm 5" 10 and I found there was plenty of room in all three rows. Comparing row three to the RRS and even a new XC90, there was just so much more space and it seemed at least as roomy as the Landmark. It is a shame to lose the individual middle seat in row 2 but space wise, there didn't seem to be much difference between the landmark and the new disco. Comfort wise, it definitely seemed to be a bit of an upgrade, especially the front seats, which seemed much more... not sure... sporty I guess. You felt more like you sat "in" them rather than "on" them if you know what I mean.

The infotainment was so far out of the previous one's league that you honestly can't compare them. The screen was amazing and the functions were so much more responsive and intuitive. A properly modern system.

I found the fit and finish to be exceptional. But i never found that much of a problem in the old car either.

Door slam was definitely better than the landmark... I found that previously I would sometimes need to slam the rear doors (in particular) a couple of times to get them to actually close. The new disco just closed perfectly.

Tailgate... well, personally, I am a fan of electric tailgates. I have three kids and they come with a lot of crap... being able to open the boot as I am walking toward the car is a massive plus. I loved the split tailgate in the landmark... but the fold down bit in the new one was actually quite good. You can't stand on it to access the roof... but I never did that anyway. For sitting on (or placing small children on) to put wellies on, it seemed to do the job really well. Whether it will be as tough as the split rear tailgate remains to be seen... but it wasn't complicated so I don't sere why it would break. I also really like the idea of having a flap that holds stuff in place. I used to have a 5 series touring that had an automatic tailgate... when rammed you would open it and stuff would fall out. This prevents that. Once again, same as a split tailgate...

Being able to lower the rear of the car from the rear of the car is great. I used to get frustrated that you couldn't lower the landmark without switching the thing on and closing all the doors... this is a huge improvement.

Electric folding seats... total gimmiclk! I mean, don't get me wrong... its a cool trick to show your mates and my 10 year old will love it... but really, am I likely to change the configuration when not in the car from my phone? I run the risk of squashing a half chewed babybel (or worse still, a small child) into the seats. The electric folding third row is quite nice though... unfolding the third row in the landmark was satisfying (I loved the mechanical nature of it... reassuring clicks and all) but it did involve some clambering around... and when you have impatient scamps wanting to get in, it was a little inconvenient.

Negatives (well, aside form the bits mentioned above)

Design: I loved the look of the landmark... it really stood out. The new one looks like the rest of the range... I can see why they did it. Realistically, the demographic for the disco has changed. You can see that in the change from disco 1/2 - 3... and then more so to 4. The car has been going increasingly up market, there is no doubt. But the old design was and will remain a classic. The new one is modern and sporty and, I think, will still look good in a few year. The old one will look old fashioned I think... but right now, the landmark just looks cooler.

Other than that, I really can't think of anything that was negative. Also, bear in mind that you CAN buy this car for 43k... sure, it is in poverty spec, but still... it will be a supremely capable off road car and will still be pretty nice inside.

I'm probably more in the new demographic anyway if I'm honest. We do go camping and to country shows/fayres... but I never do and most likely never will do any serious off roading. For my needs, therefore, it seems pretty perfect. Bloody expensive though... and that brings me to the final point.

I really do struggle with the point of the RRS now. As I said, for me, the Disco just seems like the better car. It looks at least as good, it is a nicer place to be inside... engine wise you have similar choices and, no doubt, at some point in the future a 6 cyl Ingenium engine and a Hybrid model will be released. Pricing wise there is a massive crossover...

Anyway, all just my thoughts and views.

Still miss my landmark... our temp replacement (a perfectly reasonably but extremely dull Renault Scenic) just does not cut it for me.

Cheers

Rik

Post #173421015th Nov 2016 9:47 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Interesting comparison with the RRS. The interior of the RRS is supposed to feel sporty and hence the relative feeling of being cramped - the central tunnel console is much more noticeable in the RRS just as it was in the first version compared to the D3. The RRS is also a more sporty drive, especially when put in to dynamic mode.

Oh, and the RRS ceases to be pointless when you stick the 5.0 supercharged V8 under the bonnet. It lives up to the "Sport" bit of the name then... Wink

My old RRS has less space than the D3 and the "pointless" comparison could be made there too. But it's got a big diesel engine, big brakes and active anti roll bars which means it lives up to the "Sport" bit too compared to the D3/4. And it could be had with a powerful V8 petrol too.

The pointless bit of the RRS is the occasional seats in the boot. They should delete those and just concentrate on it being a fast 4x4.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #173425015th Nov 2016 10:55 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Re: Why ?

BLFarrar wrote:

But what of the NEW model for 2017....
SUV that's between the Evoke & the RRS......I wasn't told the badge if will wear....to me he same size as an F-Pace

If this is a new vehicle as stated above it confuses things even more.....minute variations of the same thing, same high price bracket.....
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #173425115th Nov 2016 10:57 am
sacimiddx

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Moo wrote:
In the end if the yummy mummys like it then all will be good. All te things that are important to us are irrelevant to them.

and the husbands get weekend driving cred (cos it aint a Zafira !)
 Illegitimi Non Carborundum  
Post #173429515th Nov 2016 12:12 pm
sacimiddx

The infotainment was so far out of the previous one's league that you honestly can't compare them. The screen was amazing and the functions were so much more responsive and intuitive. A properly modern system.

still as slow as you like though Thud
Post #173429615th Nov 2016 12:14 pm
richardch

Switzerland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 4

[quote="sacimiddx"]
Moo wrote:
In the end if the yummy mummys like it then all will be good. All te things that are important to us are irrelevant to them.

LR has also missed the point that Yummy Mummys wont be able to park it as the D5 is so much longer than the D3/4

Post #173445515th Nov 2016 5:45 pm
rikster23

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Quote:
LR has also missed the point that Yummy Mummys wont be able to park it as the D5 is so much longer than the D3/4

Park Assist! I'll be specc'ing one with that for sure!

Post #173446015th Nov 2016 5:48 pm
richardch

Apart from the fact that its now 5 metres long and your wife or anyone else wont be able to find a parking space to use the parking assist on Wink

Post #173446715th Nov 2016 6:00 pm
rikster23

It's 5 inches longer than the last one... that's all. My wife always told me that 5 inches was most definintely NOT a lot! Embarassed

Post #173447115th Nov 2016 6:05 pm
richardch

But even worse, no substance inside !

Post #173447515th Nov 2016 6:08 pm
sacimiddx

rikster23 wrote:
It's 5 inches longer than the last one... that's all. My wife always told me that 5 inches was most definintely NOT a lot! Embarassed

She might think an additional 5 inches was worth the wait
Post #173458215th Nov 2016 8:53 pm
MGDisco

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Today at the the dealers in Stirling:

Our salesman wasn't sure about the colour (Silicon Sand) for showing it off - what other colours have been presented elsewhere? Personally I thought it was fine, but at first sighting there was a reasonable amount of daylight coming through the windows, the photos were taken much later, just before 5pm so are under the showroom lights only.

One concern I had was what the view of the bonnet line was going to be like but with the seat in lowest setting (which is how I like to have the seat set in any car), I was pleasantly surprised that the bonnet was clearly in view and about 1 &1/2 feet is obscured to the front of the vehicle line. I did think it would have been much worse than that.

Also, the side of the vehicle does not cut in at such a steep angle, as per the front end picture with the guy standing adjacent to the vehicle. Again not as bad as I thought it could have ended up being.

Interior is a big step up in gadgets but then this is the progression of all vehicle manufacturers - if your not on the program, you will be left behind so this is not to be unexpected. Even if it doesn't suit some, this is how it is but the vehicle in question was HSE Lux spec, with some extras to show.

What I see as extravagance - winged headrests! I don't drive with my head back on the headrest, if I did I'd probably want to fall asleep - fine for passenger though. But not on rear seats so...... what's the point of them really?

Whilst I didn't take the opportunity to access the 2 rearmost seats, others did and seemed to accept them when comparing to the D4's seats. Access is a bit awkward from what I saw. Middle 3 seats were fine from my assessment - 5'9" for me, 5'7" for brother in law, and no issues from us with them. Middle seat - armrest is not as good as sculptured outside seats, but any car that has this arrangement is the same. Perhaps a missed opportunity with reverting back to armrest.

Since we tow with the current D4's, I enquired about the deployable tow bar cost on the configuration as selecting it on that (in the early days of it being available) had a huge jump in cost to the vehicle price. Gary, the LR brand ambassador, helped clarify that - cost is £985 for factory fitted, £2295 for having to have it dealer fitted (as the wiring is then required, as well as the fitment of the bar and tow electrics. Moral of the story - have it factory fitted (or wait to see what comes on the after market to suit your needs).

All in all I liked it. When the recently acquired Landmark lease will be coming to its end, this new Discovery will be an option for sure.

Post #173473816th Nov 2016 12:53 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Thats interesting with regards to the electrically deploy able tow bar, I was told the exact opposite, factory fit £2295 dealer fit about £1000
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #173474316th Nov 2016 1:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MGDisco

Oh, and just to say that our normal salesman said that 3 orders were placed in the first couple of hours of it being on show, and that was not the busy time of the event (between 2-4pm), I expect they will end up with a sizeable dent into their allocation - and might even exceed it so waiting times for it will be pretty lengthy. This time next year? Unless you already had your deposit in a while ago.

Post #173474416th Nov 2016 1:02 am
MGDisco

Just been back on configuration - option pack for electric deployable tow bar is £985.

If selected from accessories (for dealer fit) it becomes £2295.

Example given by Gary was the first edition model - none of them had the option pack so the only way to have electric tow bar is dealer fit and that £2295 is the price on the list he showed us.

HSE Lux, HSE & SE can have factory fitted, on the list at £985. So the costs now seem to marry up on configuration and dealer info as well.

But the S model didn't have it listed so this model may have to make do with a fixed or detachable (dealer fitted) towbar.

Post #173474716th Nov 2016 1:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 47 <123 4 ... 454647>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >