Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Whats Got Your Goat Up today ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 37 of 286 <123 ... 363738 ... 284285286>
Scott #55

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

The Dundonian wrote:
Sassenach is a derogatory term for an English person. It went out of fashion in the 1800’s.

One of our players at the hockey club has the nickname Sass. I found out it was short for Sassenach (he’s English). It’s the name he responds to and, given that he’s about 6’2 and built accordingly, I’m guessing he doesn’t take offense.
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #21104994th Jan 2020 12:25 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

The Dundonian wrote:
Be as flippant as you like.

I dialled it back from my full flippancy, otherwise I get rude text messages from DG for giving him too much work. I'd call that a 4/10ths flippancy. Kind of flippancy-lite.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #21105094th Jan 2020 1:40 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

The Dundonian wrote:

Oh and Scots are a race btw, so your argument falls down at the first hurdle. You can also commit an offence by online utterings. Whistle

The Scots are no more a separate race than the English are. Both are just classed as "White, British".
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #21105124th Jan 2020 1:58 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

NoDo$h wrote:
The Dundonian wrote:
Be as flippant as you like.
I get rude text messages from DG

Not sure we want to know about the rude text messages you two exchange. Shocked Shocked

Whistle

Post #21105164th Jan 2020 2:24 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Quote:
It was during this War that the nickname of “The Jocks” took hold, both among the other Regiments of Foot Guards and among the soldiers of the Scots Guards.

https://scotsguards.org/historical-overview/the-first- world-war/

AFAIK, the Scots Guards are to this day known and referred to as The Jocks, inc. by those who serve in the regiment.

They’re certainly not snowflakes though. Whistle
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #21105194th Jan 2020 3:04 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Last word on it. It is reasonable to say plenty of Scots find the term “Jock/s” offensive. Here’s some examples, there’s plenty more. Some were charged, some weren’t, but people, including SMP’s complained and when that is so, why continue to keep using it? but as I’ve said, keep using it and if you are reported for it, you can explain to a judge how people should find it a term of endearment, who knows you might get off, if not you’ll have a conviction.

Post #21105224th Jan 2020 4:51 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I think someone is baiting us to see how offensive / offended we will get. Be careful guys, it's a Jocks trap. Whistle

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #21105304th Jan 2020 8:39 am
Rescue01

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

It’s just a load of Jock Straps Wink
 Its not the height of the fall but the sudden stop at the bottom that hurts!!  
Post #21105344th Jan 2020 9:26 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Would that be a sweaty one?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #21105494th Jan 2020 10:09 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

The Dundonian wrote:

Person who has a vested interest in a divisive political stance, championing the poor beleaguered Scots against the evil English is publicly offended. Not seeing this as the final word in what the law says.

The Dundonian wrote:

This idiot went on an orchestrated campaign of vandalism. From reports at the time
Quote:
"He was caught after Royal Mail investigators installed covert cameras to monitor the area after two of the posters featured "racist slurs. One of the posters referred to Andy Murray as "a useless Jock."

Do you think that just possibly it was the other poster that led to prosecution? The one that wasn't/couldn't be quoted in the press as it was the one actually deemed to be racist and therefore not repeatable in the press? And that the press headlined the nonsensical one for usual reasons of sensationalism? It's the press that reported the rather daft idea that using the term he used regarding Murray was worthy of a £3k fine, yet any critical reading of the sparse details would point towards his long term campaign of criminal damage and the other, unreported, slur as being at the root of the prosecution.

The Dundonian wrote:

See point 1.

The case against Andrew Swain was heard in Magistrates Court, and so not recorded as a Crown Court case would be. Magistrates' decisions set no precedent in law and are about as reliable as the judgements of a bloke down the pub in terms of establishing UK legal direction. We only have the recollections of a Coventry Telegraph reporter, subsequently filed with AP and parroted verbatim in other papers.
Post #21105504th Jan 2020 10:22 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I’m from Alba.....I want to be known as an Albanian from now on....

Oh, no.....wait....
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #21105584th Jan 2020 10:44 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

If someone (anyone) wants to call me a “jock” please feel free.
I’ve been called that by good friends for many years, and I take it in the spirit it’s intended. My grandfather told me he was called “ a Jock” during WW2, and it was a term of respect from non-Scots he considered good friends (the Black Watch still considers that the case)
I promise I won’t be offended because someone has told me times have changed and I’m meant to be offended on behalf of someone else who’s “offended”.
Apparently goats are threatening legal action due to the title of this thread, as it may also refer to a dirty old man....they want clarity Wink
Anyway, I prefer the medals he had to the ones many people seem to aspire to these days.... Whistle

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #21105654th Jan 2020 11:23 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Laughing Thumbs Up

I called my Glaswegian brother in law, ex RM and SBS with MC and known as Jock, if he was offended by those that call him Jock?

He seemed baffled why he would be because he's a Jock and very proud of it and so are the Jock's he served with. He then went on a rant in finest RM Glaswegian about how pathetic it was that people now take offence at the slightest comment without understanding its original or how people relate to it. He cited my great uncle Wolfgang, a Jewish holocaust survivor, who proudly called himself a Yid, something i'd forgotten.

His final thoughts, as best as I can remember, were something along the lines of ' I haven't done the 5hit and cr4p i've done for this country for this. Tell those effing pussy snowflakes to take their heads out of their Censored and get a effing life'.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #21105774th Jan 2020 12:23 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Much better to be described as a Jock, than Scotch by clueless idiots. Confused
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #21105854th Jan 2020 12:42 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Oh dear somehow I think if the D has his way than the UK courts will be jam packed with frivolous court cases.

Think the animal rights group will have a collective heart attack if someone stood up at one of their meetings and announced that they were Sheep shaggers and proud of it. (Derby)

Now some of our friends are Yam Yam and no I am not calling them potato heads. (Black Country)

A British Army regiment used to be called the Yellowbellies now I do not think that was a reflection on their bravery. (Lincolnshire)

Codheads not referring to intellect or their eyes but from Grimsby/Hull

Now if Jock is offensive how about a proud plastic jock from Corby

A Flatlander is not necessary a member of the Flat Earth society but from Doncaster.

So I will refrain from using the terms snowflake but those of a fragile nature who find offence too readily seek to use the courts to salve their injured ego are misusing due process.

Language use changes with time, I was in our local Screwfix shop a couple of months back and looking for the right bits of plastic and just asked the young people what the modern version of the selective rhyme eenie, mini manimo rhyme was. None of them could remember so I said when I was a kid it was the Censored version in the woodpile.

I got promptly told that I could not say that. So I pointed out that over half a century ago that was the rhyme and since I was using the N word (an expression I do not like) in an historical context it was acceptable.

For one who has a southern paddy as a father, a yellowbelly as a mother, who did not quite making it as a cockney, got called four eyes at school I am not going to get offended by a Jock (not of the plastic version) calls me a Sassenach. There again when I travel abroad I prefer to be called a Brit or British rather than English.

Edited to add. Now I used the full N word in the text above and the automatic swear word system has kicked in and censored it. Now using a word in its historic context should not be censored in my opinion as it degrades the ability to have a meaningful debate but I suppose it protects those of a more easily offended nature . (Must not use the expression snowflake as it might be construed as insulting and offensive and should be censored.)

Post #21105874th Jan 2020 12:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 37 of 286 <123 ... 363738 ... 284285286>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >