Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

When do you decide enough is enough?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
MattTheTall77

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
When do you decide enough is enough?

Well, I think the time has come when I can't justify keeping it going anymore.

I purchased a D3 in October 2014 after wanting one for years.

The previous owner wasn’t overly honest, the wheel bearing noise in the advert turned out to be the rear diff and propshaft. Was a bit disappointed but had come into ownership expecting to need things fixing, but that wasn’t the end of the nightmare.

The gearbox megaflush the previous owner had done must have been to hide issues with the TC as that started juddering within 6 months. I had the metal sump fitted and oil change but didn’t help. Went to Martin Lowe in Barnsley and they recommended a refurb for £2.8k

Claims the suspension was in good condition also turned out not to be true. One of the rear uppers has since been changed, rosary bush, and a drop link, but the fronts need looking at as does the other rear upper. The front and rear track rod ends need changing now also.

The front diff developed a vibration/juddering at certain rev/speed/load combos but can be driven around. I do wonder if this was down to the wheel alignment when I had the goodyears fitted as I didn't have issues prior to that.

So for the past year and a half I had been trying to decide whether to get the front diff and entire suspension sorted, injectors, along with the gearbox/TC later, or to move on to another car.

Well, sods law decided to join in! Finally decided to keep it and fix it so had it in for a service on 17th March as it was overdue. On testing the EPB in the service it seized and they couldn't release it with the emergency release, the unjam procedure with a computer did. They stripped down the rear brakes and found a spring was broken and said it would be £1100 to sort it. A bit disheartened to say the least! Decided not to go for a new EPB module yet so they just completed the service and rebuilt the brakes and said not to use the EPB.

After just having spent £435 on a the service I decided to run it till February when the MOT is due, even with the annoying flashing EPB light, and have time to decide what to do.

Well, just when I thought it couldn't get worse, the compressor seems to have gone now (talk about bad luck!) I've had the cover off and it isn't running, it occasionally tries to turn over but nothing now. The service report did say "fault stored for pressure too slow in increase and a valve circuit below threshold. Suspect compressor to be weak, would recommend new unit."

So I'm now in the position where I can't justify fixing it anymore no matter how much I want to keep it (masochist!). I was looking at compressors yesterday and reading the fitting guide by Disco Mikey, but swmbo is very much against me spending any more on it.

Other issues I can think of are:

- Injector readings a bit high, and in the service the other week the report said injector faults stored. Values in 2015 were:
Injector 1 (cylinder 1): 900.39
Injector 2 (cylinder 4): 847.81
Injector 3 (cylinder 2): 1394.81
Injector 4 (cylinder 5): 1077.58
Injector 5 (cylinder 3): 767.58
Injector 6 (cylinder 6): 766.15

I have been adding Millers injector cleaner ever other tank of diesel since but if faults stored were found in the service on 17th March they aren't improving.

- Driver heated seat stopped working over winter
- The washer jets should be heated but weren’t defrosting this winter, was looking to change to D4 jets if keeping
- The passenger mirror used to intermittently work when folding but now seems to have given up
- The front screen has a chip passenger side. Also found out it seeps water if parked facing downhill in rain, must pool against the rubber ridge and leak in.
- The rear driver side door lock would occasionally not lock correctly, but since doing a key fob battery it seems to have been ok, may have been unrelated to the battery change. I did have issues with the passenger side when I first had it but not since.
- The big intercooler hose went last year, on changing it it turns out whoever had done work on it before had not refitted the retaining bolt for the air duct elbow by the viscous fan. On starting it up it clipped the fan and caught on the fan taking some bits off some of the blades. Everything still works ok and was told not to worry.

From the service report on the 17th:
- OSF washer jets blocked up
- Rear wiper smearing
- Blend motors noisy in operation
- Front lower arms knocking under braking and over bumps
- Aggressive judder through vehicle under load, injector faults stored, possible gearbox judder and diffs noisy.
- All terrain Goodyear tyres fitted which will be contributing to noises - Goodyear 255/55R19 OSF: 6mm (starting to scrub on inner edge), NSF: 7mm, OSR: 8mm, NSR: 8mm
- Slight play in OSR lower rosary bush
- Slight play in front inner rack ball joints, NS worse
- Front brake pads 6mm, discs measure 26mm. Recommended LR minimum is 27mm.
- Rear brake pads 5mm, discs measure 15mm. Recommended LR minimum thickness is 17mm. Inner face for shoes corroded.
- Alternator charge rate slightly high 15.02V loaded & 15.08v unloaded. Would recommend an update (EGRs blanked)
- Batter passed drop test at 863A on 830A battery
- Front to rear brakes corroded - have been previously greased up
- Disabled service indicator re: would not reset properly, MPG figures on dash displayed erratic when driving

So yes, bit of a lost cause now I think. I don't think I could have picked a more unlucky car! I had missed out on a few others sold through the forum, oh how different things could have been haha.

Anyone else hit this point before? Probably should have traded it in before the EPB and compressor went >.< Where is the best place to move them on to, didn't want to auction it off and for some poor person to pick it up not knowing what needs doing.

Cheers,

Matt

Post #179715029th Mar 2017 4:52 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

This is the problem with any vehicle if you dont fix stuff as soon as you know about them you end up with a massive bill, seen it many times with the trucks, people running the pads down to 1 to 2mm this then causes the brakes to run hot all the time, result new pads, tappet boots and sometimes a slider kit plus the extra labour, altogether 3 times the price of having the pads done when they needed doing.

My alt charge rate is pretty much 15 volts all the time

Auction may be your best bet.

Post #179715829th Mar 2017 6:41 am
al cope

England 

this is when WBAC may be handy, as whilst they seem to be picky about bodywork/interior condition they seem to know nothing about mechanical condition, so as long as it drives reasonably OK and looks good you might want to try offloading it this way.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #179717929th Mar 2017 8:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
adam

United Kingdom 

Sorry to hear this but I think the opening comment on your third paragraph sums it up - not only not very honest, but neglectful

As lynalldiscovery says, the issue is leaving faults (and clearly I mean the previous owner here).

Anyway, good luck with your chosen route - also agree WBAC maybe best.

Maybe then look for another one - possibly of here from an established forum member again?

Post #179718629th Mar 2017 8:36 am
Aerialmark

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I know how you feel, I have had all the same major faults since I bought my05 HSE in 2015. The only thing extra i have had is an oil leak at the back of the engine so had to have the body off in November last year.. Good luck fella

Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry
 The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the best of everything they have. 

Post #179726429th Mar 2017 12:19 pm
MattTheTall77

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Thanks all.

I did check WBAC the other month and they were offering £3k, but that's before any issues so probably lucky to get anywhere near that I think.

Aerialmark, I have watched your work being done since you bought it and admired your determination in the face of all the issues that kept arising! Thanks to your efforts your Discovery 3 will have a much longer life than it may have had Smile

That's why part of me still wants to fix mine, I like it and don't want to see it shipped off and broken into parts! SWMBOs horse costs more in a year than my repairs would Rolling with laughter Not sure I can use that argument though, would be sods law the engine would pop afterwards.

Post #179728029th Mar 2017 1:11 pm
Aerialmark

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Tell you what Matt we will pool them both together and make a decent one Very Happy I will borrow it a few weekends then you. We share the cost of all bills then you will only be half broke Whistle
Good luck my friend Bow down
 The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the best of everything they have. 

Post #179729129th Mar 2017 1:43 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Not reading it fully. But it doesn't look like its worth getting rid yet.
You/garage seam to be comparing its condition to a brand new car, so have generated a long list.

Some of these issues you can put up with knowing its a 10 year old car.
Some of them can be fixed by yourself for a couple of quid. (wipers, jet, pads)
Spend money where sensible to do so.

Post #179729229th Mar 2017 1:44 pm
Rob.M

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Tbh i think some of the prices you have been quoted are way off as well.

£1100 for fitting new shoes for rear brakes? :O

Post #179767330th Mar 2017 10:46 am
adam

United Kingdom 

About right if dealer quoting for new actuator unit rather than a repair - I had one replaced under warranty a while back

Post #179767830th Mar 2017 10:49 am
Prowler

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Sorry to hear about your problems, if it's any help I did the front and rear brakes myself and also the front wishbones. I'm in the building trade so I'm not really up on mechanics but use YouTube to watch it being done.
Got the wishbones inc bushes of eBay and the pads and discs from Andrew Page think I paid less than 350 the lot.

Best of luck.

Post #17994473rd Apr 2017 8:23 pm
Sniper1

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

Ok hang on a sec! Its like the old girl has a few issues and everyone you are dealing with is condeming her to the glue factory!

Points below:
- OSF washer jets blocked up - get a pin, and unblock it!
- Rear wiper smearing - stop reversing, or buy a new wiper blade
- Blend motors noisy in operation - turn up radio
- Front lower arms knocking under braking and over bumps - saturday afternoon replacement
- Aggressive judder through vehicle under load, injector faults stored, possible gearbox judder and diffs noisy. (This, granted is a little more,problematic)
- All terrain Goodyear tyres fitted which will be contributing to noises - Goodyear 255/55R19 OSF: 6mm (starting to scrub on inner edge), NSF: 7mm, OSR: 8mm, NSR: 8mm - turn the radio up!!
- Slight play in OSR lower rosary bush - again new bush.......
- Slight play in front inner rack ball joints, NS worse - steer more on the straights!
- Front brake pads 6mm, discs measure 26mm. Recommended LR minimum is 27mm. Pads and discs are cheaper than one visit by the vet for your other halfs ringworm machine
- Rear brake pads 5mm, discs measure 15mm. Recommended LR minimum thickness is 17mm. Inner face for shoes corroded. - See note above
- Alternator charge rate slightly high 15.02V loaded & 15.08v unloaded. Would recommend an update (EGRs blanked) -
- Batter passed drop test at 863A on 830A battery - buy a new battery, get a 1000cca one. Yausa if poss,
- Front to rear brakes corroded - have been previously greased up - scrub them off and regrease them.
- Disabled service indicator re: would not reset properly, MPG figures on dash displayed erratic when driving - new battery, and a hard reset and it may work again ok.

Ok, so some of my points are tounge in cheek but seriously, unless the body is a dog, bent up and torn apart, then its hardly worth considering £3k for it!!
Ultimatum. If you can ride to tesco on the horse and buy a weeks shopping and get it home in one poece, she keeps the horse. If not, Neddy gets sold so the vehicle which you CAN use on the road withiut infuriating everyone else can be fixed.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #17994623rd Apr 2017 8:43 pm
mz mini

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Spot on Sniper 1 Bow down
 Land Rover 90 - deceased Sad
Discovery 3 - deceased Sad
Discovery 4 2013
Mini Cooper S 1964 Mk1 - International Rally winner red & white
Mini Cooper s 1964 Mk1 - Road Rally champion green & white
Mini Cooper S 1971 Mk3 - original and unrestored Smile
Porsche 911 997
Porsche Boxster 3.4S
VW Polo 1.2
Citroen Xsara Picasso - shed/run around 

Post #17994833rd Apr 2017 9:09 pm
A.J.M

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

I thought i was at that point a while ago with mine.

I have sorted all the wishbones, the brakes, new compressor etc.
But it needed new injectors, new tc and gearbox, new glow plugs etc.

I fitted 5 of the injectors last week with a mate, the 6th will be attempted again soon.
Mine was overfuelling badly, i had values over 1400 for some and it would smoke badly if left to idle.

I've bought a new TC from Bristol transmissions and my indy has found a replacement box for me, it's only got 62,000 on it. So a new filter and fresh oil will see it good for many years.
He's going to try the glow plugs as well at the same time.

I had looked into changing mine, but with a poor trade in value compared to the amount of money it's had. I couldn't make the figures for a near like for like D4 work for me with my budget i could afford.

So. I'll keep mine. Fix the rest and run it for another 4+ years.

If you are able to follow a guide, you can sort a fair bit of that list on your own with basic tools and some parts from Advanced Factors.

Also, i changed my worn out compressor for the AMK one on my driveway. If i can manage it.
Anyone can manage it.

Post #17995433rd Apr 2017 11:10 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Woah, sounds like you are having a mare with things coming at you faster than you can fix them - theres never a right answer, as you could fix some of the problems and never have another major issue - I would try a different set of wheels and tyres though to see if a lot of the issues you are being told are Gearbox related stem from them

Your compressor could just need to be fitted with a drier replacement (new Silica Gel balls in the drier) or have a leak in the cap, both are relatively easy jobs as long as the bolts come out easily the rear shoes for the EPB are easy enough to do - I did mine in the driveway on a dry Sunday in February, along with changing the discs and pads all round not sure what the mega expensive spring is that they say is taking the job to £1100 - grab a copy of bodsys brake bible and take a look - all of the EPB mystery is explained

Just swapped all of the drop links on mine a couple of weeks ago along with the front track rods and ends and this weekend I spent Saturday swapping the suspension ARB bushes. Most jobs are achievable with some penetrating oil a week in advance and a good set of spanners and sockets!
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #17995534th Apr 2017 12:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >