Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Oil Pump Change - seal fitment heads-up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BrettKaz

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Oil Pump Change - seal fitment heads-up

An Indy garage did my timing belts and oil pump and they stuffed up both jobs - they mistimed my engine (probably due not bothering to lock down the crank) eventually leading to it's overheating and failure and also didn't fit my oil seal correctly (which of course is now the least of my problems).

The oil seal was pinched between the housing and the engine rather than sitting in it's rebate leading to oil bleed from the pump and eventually coming out of the relief behind/under the front pulley (to see it you need to take off the D/side lower wheel arch panel ... the one to access the bottom of the long turbo hose).

Then I saw a post from 'Flack' warning of this and recommending a different fitting solution from the one in the workshop manual. It was sort of buried in a thread so I thought I would give it a bit more exposure.

Flack recommended:

"looking at the pdf for the oil pump change it is a straight forward job, they mention the oil seal to
fit after the plate is in position, I would not do it this way, I would git the oil seal on the plate before
I fit the plate then make sure there is plenty of oil around the seal lip and the crankshaft and fit
them both at the same time, this will allow the plate to find it's center on the crankshaft then
tighten all the bolts, as I have always done on engine rebuilds."

Post #179797730th Mar 2017 10:47 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

To do that job without locking the crank (and cams) is absolutely unforgivable Shocked .....I think you will find that Flack has since moved on from that recommendation, the oil seal is fitted after the pump fitment, and no lubricant should be used anywhere near this type of seal on installation. The oil seal should also be installed recessed into the housing by 1mm. Thumbs Up Some after market oil pumps have been known to allow the seal to migrate out, not long after fitment, ( so these are to be avoided at all costs, unless the owner wants to risk wrecking the engine, through total oil loss Shocked ).
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #179800231st Mar 2017 12:08 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yes that statement was made in the very early days before we had to change the D3 oil pumps on mass, its now essential that the seal is fitted after the casing and with extreme care.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #179803831st Mar 2017 8:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >