DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Think the torque converter son it's way out
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
MCC1979IAN

Location: In the back o beyond somewhere in the Scottish Borders

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
Think the torque converter son it's way out

Ok so had my 2008 Disco 3 on the road for the first time on Saturday and under load and hard acceleration she is doing a lot of juddering, the week before i collected it from Strathearn Engineering it had a mega flush and service so surely it shouldn't be juddering already. Just wondering if this could be a sign of a faulty TC?

Vehicle has 113k on the clock and according to the history I got with it it's already had a mega flush just over a year ago.

Post #18003945th Apr 2017 9:53 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

One of the reasons I am not in a rush to get my flushing machine up and running again. By the time most owners get the box flushed, it's too late and ends up doing extra damage...

But yes, your TC is in need of replacement...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #18003975th Apr 2017 10:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MCC1979IAN

Would this be a part covered by warranty? The vehicle came with Landrover extended warranty til May this year so I'm hoping so

Post #18003985th Apr 2017 10:06 pm
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

I have said in other threads that getting a mega-flush done is often money down the drain.

IMO TC will need replacing at some point (100k-140k) and the £300 or so spent on flush could be put towards the £1200 for a new TC.

Post #18004045th Apr 2017 10:17 pm
Disco_Mikey

MCC1979IAN wrote:
Would this be a part covered by warranty? The vehicle came with Landrover extended warranty til May this year so I'm hoping so

One would expect so, but as ever, it's probably down to how the claim is worded Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #18004085th Apr 2017 10:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

DigitalJunior wrote:
I have said in other threads that getting a mega-flush done is often money down the drain.

IMO TC will need replacing at some point (100k-140k) and the £300 or so spent on flush could be put towards the £1200 for a new TC.

The gearbox needs flushed (or at least a drain/refill or 2) at (or before) 50k miles to prevent any long term damage
Same goes for the D4...
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #18004095th Apr 2017 10:21 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Just about to do my regular drain and fill of the auto box. As now doing much lower mileage I do it every 25k miles. As above I had new TC at 110k miles. I am looking after this one!
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #18005136th Apr 2017 9:42 am
MCC1979IAN

I don't really cover a lot of miles either, actually I reckon in the 3 year iv owned my Pathfinder I'm lucky if iv put 12k on it so once the Disco gets its TC it will be treated every couple o year for piece of mind. My 2 90's get diffs, transfer and gearbox done every 2 year too so might as well stick to the regime
 2008 Disco 3 HSE G4 challenge,

1986 Landrover 90 300tdi conversion, mud tyres, raptor dash, winch, bucket seats, bulkhead modified for more leg room, series doors

1985 Landrover 90 4.6v8 tuned, stand alone engine management, 4" lift, external cage, 15" travel shocks, 37" tyres, bucket seats, raptor dash, galvanised chassis and bulkhead, bulkhead modified for more leg room, series doors, currently 11yr into a full rebuild 

Post #18006596th Apr 2017 5:01 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

currently sat in Keighley while BA Transmissions are sorting my TC. unfortunately they didn't have a refurb sat on the shelf which was the same model / stamp so mine is being refurbed today.

TC goes back in tomorrow and then I am £450 lighter. Did think about buying a new one but a refurb just seemed a no brainer. Even with hotel bills and diesel it is cheaper than other places locally in the Borders.

Only had a minor judder to be fair, Dr Tranny cured it for 6 months but it came back. Car is a keeper and now doing a lot of miles and some off road work so figured it was worth doing. Didn't want it to take out the gear box or do long term damage.

Guys at the garage seem nice, they do a lot of D3's. As stated once the get it out, if they cant use one they have then they send it to someone locally who turns it around in a day.

Just praying it cures the judder, if it doesn't then I am seriously in the dog house with the wife.

If you are in the Borders it is 2.5 hours down the A1. worst case is three days, best case is two.
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #18006626th Apr 2017 5:13 pm
MCC1979IAN

Cheers, thankfully the vehicle has a month left on the extended warranty so hopefully it will be replaced through that. If not keighley is always worth a though but my biggest problem is I work away all week so getting it there other than when I'm on holiday is abit of a pain. Fingers crossed the warranty comes good Exclamation Exclamation
 2008 Disco 3 HSE G4 challenge,

1986 Landrover 90 300tdi conversion, mud tyres, raptor dash, winch, bucket seats, bulkhead modified for more leg room, series doors

1985 Landrover 90 4.6v8 tuned, stand alone engine management, 4" lift, external cage, 15" travel shocks, 37" tyres, bucket seats, raptor dash, galvanised chassis and bulkhead, bulkhead modified for more leg room, series doors, currently 11yr into a full rebuild 

Post #18006676th Apr 2017 5:32 pm
Mr Kington

I have turned into Alan Partridge (without the big plate)

two nights in a travelodge has killed me...... but if it means saving £600 its worth it. Also the wifi is a lot quicker than the Borders !!!! pros and cons........
Post #18006716th Apr 2017 5:37 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey wrote:
DigitalJunior wrote:

The gearbox needs flushed (or at least a drain/refill or 2) at (or before) 50k miles to prevent any long term damage
Same goes for the D4...

I'll be after a second flush whenever you decide to bring the machine out and if travelling this way again Mike. No problems here since my last one Bow down thanks Mike. But wanting to keep it running sweet.

Post #18006746th Apr 2017 5:39 pm
Disco_Mikey

It's been out of action for 18 months Shocked
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #18007176th Apr 2017 7:44 pm
SparkUK

United Kingdom 

Mr Kington wrote:
currently sat in Keighley while BA Transmissions are sorting my TC. unfortunately they didn't have a refurb sat on the shelf which was the same model / stamp so mine is being refurbed today.

TC goes back in tomorrow and then I am £450 lighter. Did think about buying a new one but a refurb just seemed a no brainer. Even with hotel bills and diesel it is cheaper than other places locally in the Borders.

Only had a minor judder to be fair, Dr Tranny cured it for 6 months but it came back. Car is a keeper and now doing a lot of miles and some off road work so figured it was worth doing. Didn't want it to take out the gear box or do long term damage.

Guys at the garage seem nice, they do a lot of D3's. As stated once the get it out, if they cant use one they have then they send it to someone locally who turns it around in a day.

Just praying it cures the judder, if it doesn't then I am seriously in the dog house with the wife.

If you are in the Borders it is 2.5 hours down the A1. worst case is three days, best case is two.

Really interested to know what your thoughts are after having that done Smile

Post #18011117th Apr 2017 6:45 pm
Mr Kington

Not gone far but am now in York. They finished the car early this morning.

No judder and no rev fluctuations which were there before. Is it any smoother ? not sure but does feel happier going through the gears.

What I can say isIi was getting 30.2 mpg on my way to York. Normally was getting 24 mpg at best before.

Am sure this will drop as it starts to do more stop start journeys but so far all good. Smile Smile
Post #18011127th Apr 2017 6:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >