Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Turbo crossover pipe
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
onetwentie

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Flack and thanks for the reply.

The TSOV is that the valve thing that has the little vacuum actuator on it? read quite a lot about those last night too. I believe it has like 3 bolts to remove it and a fat pipe coming off it on the lower side?

Post #236999830th May 2024 10:01 am
onetwentie

So I managed to get this thing out over the weekend (for anyone who plans on doing it, definitely remove the driver side front wheel and wheel arch lining (arch has to come off to) to gain better access to the clips on the hoses..

So once out, we managed to clean it all up and put it back together - I don't have a vacuum tester but I did blow compressed air into the little hole which is opposite where the vacuum hose attaches, and there was some movement in the control arm, but it was very stiff and I'm not sure if it is meant to be as stiff as it was?

Anyway, reversed the whole thing and put it back together, but the dreaded RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE is back! That said, I haven't actually driven the car yet - may take it for a run and see what happens.

Attached some pictures from the job..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #23703483rd Jun 2024 4:12 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

The TSOV is actually bolted to the back of the right turbocharger.

This is a recirculation valve-right hand turbo, I have just had to replace mine. Originally indentified as intake air leak due to a blowing seal by the dealer but once removed I found a broken casting.

In your last picture the groove going round the edge has a seal in it, in my case the outer wall of one part of the groove had broken off and was only held in place by one of the bolts. The only part that appears to be available separately is the electrical actuator

The restricted performance message would only come up in particular conditions and would clear if I turned off and restarted. Nothing more until I hit the right conditions again.

I second to remove the arch lining, I just about got mine out without but was not playing ball going back in until I did.
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #23704294th Jun 2024 5:24 pm
onetwentie

Hi HairyFool, yes the seal I took out to clean there was a fair bit of aluminium oxidisation in there.

So this is not the TSOV then? Flack mentioned earlier on in this thread "What you are describing sounds like the TSOV, that is located under the radiator at the drivers side, they are known to seize up and stick. Its a straight forward job to remove and free up most of the time." - so I assumed it was this one?

I understand that it has a vacuum line that goes into it which runs from the top of the engine across to the left and then down to this device - when the vacuum is activated does it close the flap inside or open it? I would be interested to learn more about what this thing is supposed to do.

Only other thing I can report is that when I put it back on the RP error had gone, but then I revved the car and when it got to 2,800/3k revs, the error came right back - "RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE!"

Confused.

Post #23704624th Jun 2024 11:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >