Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Putting up with LR cars... when is it time to move on!?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

nigel207 wrote:

In the meantime, we’ve got a 2.0-litre D5. It’s got a “chuckability” that the D4 hasn’t, but when needing to set off quickly from a junction, I would argue that it’s lag is dangerous, and certainly not something that I would live with. If this is indicative of the 2.0-litre, I wouldn’t entertain one.!

Not something I've experienced at all ...in fact I find it can be too lively off the line tbh...is it a 2017my? 240bhp?

Post #19708935th Aug 2018 11:12 am
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

2018 240PS model.

Post #19708985th Aug 2018 11:43 am
sasdiscos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Is it just luck?

Ive had gear boxes fail in vans at 80k, vans run for 120k with not a single issue. My wife has audi and they seem bullit proof, well ours do, very reliable etc.

Ive had many landrover products, evoque being the latest and the best, nothings gone wrong, but i do feel that with land rovers, at some stage they all develop the same problems. And these problems carry forward and sometimes don't seem to be addressed.

There always seems to be a weakness with them. You should be able to put confidence in the fact you could drive 10000 miles with no issues.

Like i say though, maybe its just luck of the draw.

Steve
 You remind me of a younger me, not much younger mind...perhaps even a little older!  
Post #19708995th Aug 2018 11:47 am
HSELR4

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Yes there’s a lot of luck involved. But I’ve had a few LR products and all have had issues. All have been low miles and all been approved used with solid history.

The fact I’m nervous of driving to France in any of them is an issue and certainly makes me consider moving on.

The car faults haven’t been huge; had a rear dif go on a 40,000 mile Evoque! All sorted under warranty; but it shouldn’t be happening; any of it.

I’ve had Mercedes, Nissan and Toyotas in the past, and whilst it’s a stereotype; I did have the least issues with the Japanese cars.

Post #19709085th Aug 2018 12:38 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Tomorrow I shall be going to my French home in the Dordogne in my 13.5 year old D3 with 225,000 on the clock. It doesn't occur to me that it won't get me there and back and around and about. I have roadside assistance but I've only needed it once when the alternator went on the way to the tunnel at 176,000 (pretty good reliability). It was fixed and I was back on the road in 8 hours. We just made it another adventure and part of the holiday.

No car will never not have issues. Just drive it and enjoy it and if it does break down, just roll with it and make it another life experience and added dimension to your holiday.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #19709155th Aug 2018 1:20 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

As above, make sure you have decent breakdown insurance, including repatriation, if you don’t have LR Assistance cover. Be aware of what the cover gives you, what the limits are and, above all, what the limits on repatriation is. Some offer £2,000 cover for a trip, sounds a lot but when push comes to shove it’ll get eaten up very quickly indeed, the cost of being recovered to a garage a handful of miles away will run into a few hundred quid. Cheapest cover I’d deffo not best, especially if you have to use it. Thumbs Up

Post #19709185th Aug 2018 1:28 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

tayaste wrote:
PROFSR G wrote:
Electric cars will be more reliable as there will be no engines and fewer mechanical components in the long run. Think of the electric appliances in your home and how often they breakdown! Now imagine increasing the reliability of that technology and putting it in your next car!

I wouldn’t bank on it just yet. Reliability isn’t just about combustion engines. Reliability needs to be designed in and built in.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-tesla...rformance/
https://www.osv.ltd.uk/are-tesla-reliable/
https://inews.co.uk/essentials/lifestyle/c...tric-cars/

Agreed tayaste,

There is no doubt some way to go to get the technology right. That said, look how far the tech has come in just a few years. My Brother bought a Mitsubishi PHEV last march, his daily commute is short, as is most of his motoring for social activity. He filled his petrol tank that weekend I returned with it from Bristol and hasn't put a drop in since. Instead he just plugs it in every second day at work! I think the future looks very bright provided the technology can reach its zenith this time around!

Post #19709385th Aug 2018 3:40 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

robpenrose wrote:
Until we move to full electric vehicles, with less critical moving parts, I think it’s going to be a common theme.

Cars have generally got more reliable, but when an error does occur, the vast majority of people have no idea how to fix it. Most people struggle to fill cars with oil or check fluids etc! More stringent emission systems are forcing more tech into engines as well.

I don’t think it’s going to change any time soon, so you may as welll find a car you like and stick with it, unless it’s horendous!

Ideally, a straight forward petrol without turbo etc would be safest, but when you look at proper 4x4 like D4,, you still have transfer box, air suspension, diffs, propshafts and then all the electronic control systems.

One thing I do think is vital is find someone who knows what they are doing with the car you have. A main dealer often isn’t the best person to look after your cars, but I’m sure there are still some good ones about.

Well said Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #19709395th Aug 2018 3:45 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Where I am a taxi company uses mercedes by a shed load,and when asked how quiet it was it was the hybrid one
He was quoted as for reliability they have two off the road more than on as there is a problem with lithium batteries and arguing over cost of batteries apprantly £14k ?....

Post #19710285th Aug 2018 9:47 pm
IndusD4

Australia 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If you need 4WD (you didn't mention ground clearance), what about an Audi A6 quattro? Available with petrol engine and you can spec air suspension?
 2016 D4 TDV6 Corris Grey
IIDTool BT 

Post #19713196th Aug 2018 8:47 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

To above post.

Look at the earlier fault list and one of the few cars worse than a Landrover is Audi Laughing

I looked earlier this yr at that path, but the depreciation on the Audi estates is nowhere as good as a Landrover.
6 month Audi had depreciated by about 1.5k more than my D4 in 25 months.

Did like the drive and finish though Thumbs Up
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #19713256th Aug 2018 9:01 pm
IndusD4

Australia 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

then he might be back in a LR in a few years Very Happy
 2016 D4 TDV6 Corris Grey
IIDTool BT 

Post #19713286th Aug 2018 9:08 pm
daftlad

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I think we all have this crisis at some point
Land cruiser has been mentioned I had an early model that was bomb proof many years ago, my Dad had an 04 D4D and that had multiple issues non major , air con packed in £1500,both rear calipers seizing £400 great puller as we both caravan but so I'll equipped and bland as f***
I will more than likely go Kia Sorrento when I finally run out of patience or money couple of guys who work with me tow with them and love them ,one being a RRS ex owner
Just my thoughts that could just be one big bill away for me Sad

Post #19713326th Aug 2018 9:20 pm
Sloppy

ha ha having had two high mileage discovery's with very few issues other than maintenance my new ish 2016 has just developed a weird high pitch screeching sound (sounds like a eclectic motor does mot quite match engine revs) and goes into limp mode, its only 30k lr approved.

rung at 10.30 aa came out at 12 said no idea, 3pm got recovered to local dealer but im still without a car as ive got 4 kids so need seven seats and tow 3.5 ton daily so need literally like for like.

lr assist hit and miss some people are plebs other helpful not really that impressed to be honest just completed a big trip around europe with the kids glad it did not happen then!

my faith it dwindling but its really limiting when you tow and need 7 seats the choice is zip im considering getting and older tow car and a people carrier based 7 seater.

Post #19713416th Aug 2018 9:58 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

A Mercedes-Benz GL - renamed GLS after 2016 - does fit 7 people comfortably and it should be able to tow 3500 kg. It’s a MB so it isn’t exactly cheap.

I looked at them before ending up selecting a D4, couldn’t find much I didn’t like but I have had MB before so some of the quirks were “oh, ok, the funny Germans still do it like that” kind of thing. I was looking at GL 420 CDIs.

Post #19713446th Aug 2018 10:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >