Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Oil in exhaust manifold
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
WRFrance

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Seems there are more issues with your car if the DPF is blocked that often or your driving profile does not allow for DPF regeneration.

You could still try a few simple things:

Get an endoscope and run it up the exhaust manifold. How far back can you trace the oil?

Run the engine without the turbo, quick boosts on the accelerator pedal. See if there is blue smoke coming out of the manifold. You do have to catch the oil from the turbo feed but for a little while that is possible. Blue smoke on acceleration could lead to piston rings, on deceleration to valve seals. With that level of oil consumption you should see the smoke when there is engine damage.

It may even be worth it to mount your old turbo and not attach the exhaust and DPF. Run the engine and blip the throttle. If there is now black smoke it will be your turbocharger. Remember, there is now no back pressure on the turbo as your DPF is not attached
If there is no smoke and no fresh oil after the test this can lead you again to your blocked DPF.
Then there is still the issue with your non original turbo cartridge. Seems this needs fixing anyway.

You need to find out what is the root cause. Is the blocked DPF a symptom of an engine burning too much oil? Of a turbo seal loosing oil? Of short journeys? Or is the blocked DPF the cause and the turbo issues are just the effects of this.

What is the engine mileage?

Keep us posted.

Post #21176571st Feb 2020 7:02 pm
wedgev8

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

...I made a pressure leak test and found no problems. All cylinders are good.
So I decided to buy a new borg warner turbo. Now the new turbo is in and after 500km testdrive there is no oil consumption anymore. I am lucky!

Post #212838715th Mar 2020 8:39 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Good news it is fixed Thumbs Up

Post #212845616th Mar 2020 7:55 am
wedgev8

Unfortunatally it is not solved. After a long journey of 800km very less oil was used.
But over the time and after some dayly shorter journeys I measured an oil consumption of about 1 liter on 1000km.
This is much better compared to the amount before Turbo change, but for me it is too much.
After Turbo change DPF is now removed and ECU is flashed.
What I see when starting from cold is a cloud of blue smoke. Also when accelerating there is massive blue smoke with the engine is cold. With the DPF installed I could not see the smoke. This might be the reason why the DPF was blocked so offen. When the engine is warmed up after about 3 km the blue smoke is gone. With a hot engine there is only light black smoke while heavy accelerating. I think this is normal on diesel engines.
The question is, could the valve stem seals are the reason for the oil consumption and blue smoke when cold?
At this point I also will start a new thread vor the seals.

Post #214504810th May 2020 4:36 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

It could well be your valve seals, 30 plus years ago cars smoking blue from cold start up was the classic sign of dead valve seals, and somehting I have not seen for years now.

I have seen it on the old 200tdi a few times where one valve seal out of a set has worked its way up the valve.

Post #214511210th May 2020 8:22 pm
Ties

Netherlands 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Have you checked your intake manifolds for cracks? If cracked your turbo will pressurise your engine and oil will blow out through the pcv into your intake manifold. When your engine is off oil will drip to the lowest point in the intake manifold being your intake valves. when started this oil will be burned hence the big cloud of smoke on start up.

Post #223203924th May 2021 8:09 am
wedgev8

I have overhauled the engine by myselve and now there is no oil comsumption anymore.
Also the blue smoke has gone.
The valve stem sealings must have been faulty. I found an oily exhaust manifold and some oily valves stems.

Post #224421930th Jul 2021 12:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >