Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Checking vacuum pump for oil ingress
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 11 <123 ... 78 91011>
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Slightly OTT philosophical comment:
I have the V8, and it appears that is what appears to be an electric vacuum pump in it (why? since when on idle throttle there is strong vacuum in these engines?). Is it to be consistent with the diesels? If so, engine compartment design is getting itself into a muddle. Vacuum-boost brakes were developed for cars because a vacuum was readily available and cheap to use. On big diesel trucks there wasn't any vacuum available and they go with compressed air. Jet aircraft don't have a ready source of vacuum available but have lots of hydraulically powered controls, so they use this hydraulic power for the brakes. Hydraulic also has the advantage of the power supply unit being smaller and pretty reliable. All D3's have have a hydraulic boost system in the power steering. Has anyone ever used power steering pumps (maybe modified ones) to supply power to brakes? It strikes me that pressurised fluid power helping to pressurise brake fluid would be easy and I've never heard of any power steering pumps failing early (probably the most reliable part on our D3's and some lucky people use it to power a winch). Any one have any good ideas why modern turbodiesel engined vehicles persist with vacuum-boosted brakes or is it just a case of design inertia?

Back to boring work now....
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #51082624th Aug 2009 3:37 am
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

I checked my pipe yesterday and there were a couple of drops of oil in it (saved onto a piece of tissue)
I'll present this to Yeovil LR on Thursday when the cars in and see what they have to say Crying or Very sad

Post #51111524th Aug 2009 8:35 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Dingmark
Easier just to stick on a vacuum pump and have the same system for a passenger vehicle. Normally works fine, LR have stuffed up the design on this one.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #51117024th Aug 2009 10:27 pm
2DISCO3ORNOT

Well something positive to report on the MY08, no oil YET!! Thumbs Up

Post #51139325th Aug 2009 4:00 pm
RTW

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Just checked my vac pipe, yep, got oil in it Big Cry ,. What's my chances of getting LR to do it, as my warranty ran out two weeks a go Big Cry
 Richard.

If it 'bongs' one more time, I'm gonna drive it off a cliff! 

Post #51324430th Aug 2009 4:57 pm
caverD3

LR should cover it, the issue is subjuct of a recall (at least in other regions) check the VIN rannge in the recall.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...%201-3.pdf
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #51343131st Aug 2009 2:10 am
RTW

Cheers for that CaverD3 Thumbs Up Going by the last six digits, mine is in the recall range being 379XXX, I shall have words at my 'friendly neighbourhood dealer' and see what's what... Smile
 Richard.

Post #51348531st Aug 2009 9:41 am
caverD3

Let us know what they say.
The TSB does not include UK. Confused
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #51349731st Aug 2009 10:00 am
RTW

OK, been in to the dealer today, slapped the 'all other countries' recall on a desk, they know about the problem having fixed quite a few under warranty, he spoke to LR, but they won't do mine, LR are being quite cagey it seems over the issue, he, like myself and I suspect at lot of others, expect a recall to be issued for the UK at some point. My dealer is going down the 'It's only just out of warranty, you might have to pay some towards' route with LR for now, so we will have to wait and see what happens...I suspect I will be faced with a choice, get it fixed now, but have to contribute, or wait for a recall to be issued and get it done for free...I'm not paying so who is going to be responsible for my unsafe car until a recall is issued, if ever? I think I better get my lawyer on the phone Whistle
 Richard.

Post #5138911st Sep 2009 10:54 am
caverD3

Start pushing. Contact whichever government dept is responsible for recalls.
I think the problem maybe the sheer numbers that need to be done and the ability to produce the parts.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #5139191st Sep 2009 11:52 am
Scott T

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Checked mine just now and there is oil in the pipe, it's booked in for its 1st MOT and service on thursday. I will tell them and see what they say. Thanks for the info.

Post #5140251st Sep 2009 3:50 pm
RTW

OK, after my trip to the dealer earlier this week, I had a letter today from LR, saying they would be prepared to pay 50% towards the vac 'problem', but...I've also had a phone call from the dealer...They say LR have authorised 100% of the cost of the work, so it's booked in for next week Thumbs Up
 Richard.

Post #5155794th Sep 2009 8:25 pm
Scott T

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Told by two people in the service department of Guy Salmon, Stockport that LR will be issuing a recall later this month for this issue, and also a recall for fuel pumps .

Post #5155964th Sep 2009 9:07 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

My Sep 05 (05MY) has just gone in for a normal service while still having 2 weeks left on it's LR 'approved' extended warranty. A few hours in, I got the dreaded phone call with "we've found lots of oil in the brake vacuum pump system". I was slightly surprised as I believed my old car was ahead of the presently affected VIN numbers and may not be susceptible to this fault?

Anyway, they told me that it should be covered under my warranty but that an assessor would have to inspect the job before they could proceed. With five hours labour and replacement of basically everything, the cost would be well over the £1000 limit. All was approved and the work done under warranty. Smile

It was three full days before I could go and pick my car up and I got to have a good chat with the service manager about the whole situation. Apparently it had been difficult for them to get hold of the correct replacement parts as LR were stockpiling them in preparation for a possible official UK recall of all effected vehicles. He thought that this recall maybe issued towards the end of this month but didn't know which VIN numbers or MY's would be effected.

I didn't realise, but apparently it's the DVLA who issue recall notices and they become a legal requirement for LR. Although my work was carried out under warranty, if those details were not passed on to the DVLA in time, and my VIN numbers were in the effected list, I could still get a recall notice from DVLA.

If this happens, they may legally have to do the work all over again!!!! Censored

I must say that the service and treatment I've received from Lancaster Reading has been excellent as always. (But the car does now stink of burning brake fluid whenever hot.) Sad
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #51874011th Sep 2009 10:34 am
caverD3

There is a shortage of parts for the Euro IV engine ones which have a re-call.
Here the dealers are not allowed to let the vehicle out of the workshop without the recall completed (but seem happy to let mine go with oil in the booster Rolling Eyes) and when they do not have any parts there are are some unhappy custmers.

The Euro III engine ones do not have a recall yet as the pipe needs to be different on them.

You will need the recall to be done as the recall is designed to prevent it happening again like mine did.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #51875011th Sep 2009 10:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 11 <123 ... 78 91011>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >