Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Vehicle Enhancement Program
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 16 of 18 <123 ... 15 161718>
Swifty

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Hi All,

Well, had mine back for a week now after enhancement. I've done over a thousand miles in it since, spread over the M5 & M6 and the B roads of North Devon and Somerset.

I agree it is defiantely a firmer suspension set up - but I like it! I think it is less twitchy than it was, especially at speed, and the floatiness it used to have just made the kids feel sick!

It feels much better in corners - rides much flatter and holds its line.

I agree that you do feel more of the road, but the ride quality is far from uncomfortable or irritating in my opinion.

Here's something to think about - You folks with the HSE and the bigger wheels and lower profile tyres - I am sure that the firmer suspension will be accentuated as a result, compared to those if us in the "s" or base models who have more tyre to take some of the edge off? And of course - the age old tyre pressure issue will make a differnece?

Post #10382822nd Nov 2006 2:01 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'm sure the larger wheels does make a difference. I've been in commercial d3s here, which have the 17" wheels and have had the enhancement, and they seem a lot smoother than mine does.

However, they always felt a bit smoother, even before the enhancement, but the difference is more noticable now I think.

Maybe LR could have 2 versions of the suspension software, one which can be installed at user request, I'd even pay for the dealers time if I had to to get mine back the way it was.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #10383122nd Nov 2006 2:35 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

tyre size, pressure and make would make a difference of course.

I;m not saying its uncomfortable and agree the setup does feel tighter around corners... just the D3 feels more fidgety over uneven surfaces especially if the camber is a little odd.

I wonder too if the compressor mod made any difference to feel at all ? Maybe the pressure is now greater ?? Dunno - don't understand the mechanics in the system.

And the default stance of the D3 now is slightly angled down toward the front (higher at back than front).

Maybe someone here (Iain Very Happy ) could let us have an opinion ?

How does the feel compare now your in a new one ?

You've experienced pre enhancement, post enhancement (with compressor mod & sw) and now have a shiny new build one.

Of course this is all very subjective and completely down to personal taste.

At first I liked the new setup very much... just I now find it distracting on B roads and poorly surfaced A roads. Motorway and fast roads the D3 feels more planted, but does tram line more than it used to on certain known sections of the M25 say. This could be my tyres though as they are now around 5K away from being considered for change.

cheers

Post #10383622nd Nov 2006 2:56 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Well in all honesty, I can't feel any difference in the suspension - either pre or post enhancement on my previous vehicle or with the new one. This applies with the standard 19" Pirelli Scorpion Zero's on (both vehicles) or the Goodyear MT/R's
As far as the enhancement software goes, the primary aim was to reduce the compressor duty cycle, this can only have been achieved in a number of ways
Increase gallery pressure
move the switching thresholds
increase the levelling interval
lock the crossvalves earlier (thereby reducing the amount of vented air)
decrease the yaw rate and acceleration / deceleration cut-off point
decrease the speed of the crossvalve inhibit point
or a combination of all or some of the above...
The software incompatability reported is due to compressor temperature sensor calibrations, there is no data link to the compressor itself

I honestly think that the 'change' felt post enhancement by some is due to the replacement of the exhaust valve as part of the programme, it's possible that a gradual deterioration of the valve (and the softening of the suspension) is not noticable over a period of time, whereas the replacement, coupled with the resultant return to specification of the air suspension system will be noticable - although some of it may be drivers 'looking' for changes, thereby amplifying any difference.

As you say, there are a lot of variables, which may explain why some 'feel' it more than others - if at all

WRT tramlining, I have noticed the 19" Scorpions they are suceptible to this - but not the MT/R's Confused I initially put this down to the Scorpions being used only occasionally and with no guarantee they were at the same corner they were used previously, however, I did feel it on the new one, although not as noticable, maybe the revised alignment procedure has helped?

I certainly wouldn't say the D3 is in any way 'twitchy' in standard trim or with add-on's - even when I had the 17" Cooper STT's fitted, it's manners were impeccable on road...

BTW, the latest software performs a levelling operation upon closure of the doors, not every two hours as previously, this is to counteract complaints of the vehicle leaning when parked

Post #10387722nd Nov 2006 4:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

cheers Iain.

There is definitely a change in feel post SW/hardware enhancement. And it is twitchy and harder compared to before. Mine was a very early build, maybe later builds were slightly 'harder' anyway so the difference is less noticeable ??

The suspension settings were changed in a sw update (had this done quite a while before the enhancement when the local LRA guy did a full update - took a good 30 mins - which also contained the new engine mapping) and the D3 is flatter around the corners noticeably.

Again maybe due to mine being a very early build. If the gallery pressure was lower and thus 'out of spec' slightly ???

Agree the D3 is not twitchy by nature - just feels twitchier post compressor mod, and harder. Not sporty by any means though but still a damn sight more agile than it has any right to be considering its such a large, heavy and tall vehicle.

By the way - is there a bulletin ref the latest sw revs ? LR seems to have moved away from the patch system now.

Also... what would cause the steering to feel vaguer than before ? Assuming my tyre pressures are correct ? Is there anything hardware wise that could be wearing / need adjusting ?

Post #10388422nd Nov 2006 4:45 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have a set of HSE 19" wheels with 50% worn Synchrones, and a set of 17" with 50% worn Wranglers.

The 17" wheels run smoother on bumps, but the handling is sharper with the 19's. There is a definite increase in tyre noise on the Wranglers when compared to the Synchrones. The original Wranglers also made this growling/howling noise.

I have not really noticed a change in ride. There are a few rattles and squeeks here and there, and the 2nd row seats shake on bumps. But nothing that I can't put down to general loosening of the vehicle at 60,000 miles. It is by no means something that makes me enjoy driving it any less.
q

Post #10388622nd Nov 2006 4:46 pm
simon

don't get me wrong... there is still no other thing to do but enjoy the D3 driving experience.

Its just that I noticed a change post enhancement that is harder but twitchier than before. Still excellent though slightly distracting.

Post #10390022nd Nov 2006 5:10 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

patch system is still there - DVD104 patch 2 from memory...
There is a TSB relating to the 'leaning' as well

Post #10390122nd Nov 2006 5:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

Yeah I know Wink just working out where the patch summary is now... as they are using IDS and not WDS now (I think).

Found it though and saw the Pisa TSB issue.

Post #10390222nd Nov 2006 5:24 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

When I first had the enhancement done I definitely noticed the difference in the suspension, the turbo lag was gone and the hesitation between gears was fixed.
Later the fuel consumption went up dramatically, the engine characteristics changed and the hesitation between gears was back. To the dealer again- corrupted software file and the re-installed the software. Back to normal.
When my coolant sensor failed the engine characteristics changed and the suspension went back to 'magic carpet ride', but the hesitation between gears had not reappeared. Confused I thought it had thrown the enhancement again. The vehicle floated at highway speeds and I noticed some bounce on stopping.
When dealer changed the coolant bottle and tested-no faults showed up and he said the vehicle behaved normally.
He was right, it is now back to normal hard, no body roll, no bounce on stopping and engine appears fine quick take off again) Very strange.
Could the low coolant message cause the software to adjust, the engine will adjust at high temperatures, maybe low coolant message causes similar changes, but the suspension? Confused
The suspension change is very subtle and I think some folks like it, some folks don't. see post:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic6358.html?highlight=poll
I like the firmer suspension. It feels more secure and is still rock solid on corrugations, there are not many cars that can handle corrugations like the D3. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #10399022nd Nov 2006 10:30 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My car was definately firmer after enhancement which was only software as the compressor was up to spec according to the puter
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #10400122nd Nov 2006 10:50 pm
Swifty

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I forgot to mention the engine/gear box response - I thougt it was better all round.

I had an Audi S4 Avant before the D3 and I DROVE it on the B roads here - yes it was feckin fast.

But, as many others have commented, it will never be an S4, but my 3 ton box moves much better after the enhancemnt and now I am 4 months in to ownership, the gear box is used to me and the car delivers. Mr Mondeo eats fumes out of the lights up to 40 mph, and it handles really well for a car of its bulk and size.

My only outstanding issue now is the mid range speed - overtaking at 50mph is still more of a strategy than a spontaneous decision - I am planning on a remap (another interesting thread).

So obviously the S4 was quicker, tighter and more responsive, but could it indicate a left turn in the middle of exmoor and drive off road over the ditches, crators and mud flats without a problem, then join the M5 and cruise with 6 passengers and luggage for 4 hours at 95 mph as if it had never left the road?

No it couldn't.

For me, the genius of the D3 is its versatility.

Ok, lets moan about its suspension settings and its abilty to pull away from roundabouts - but lets never forget that in the space of 1 mile, you can be up to your d*ck in muck and bullets off road, and then be cruising on the motorway, eating reps in Mondeos, teasing RR owners with our style, extra payload and clearance and slapping Mercs and BMW X5 drivers in the face because they know they bought the wrong 4x4. We can race sports saloons down B roads and upset them with our speed and handling ability (ok - so we cant pass them!) And we do all this with the flick of a few switches/levers.

Try doing all that in any other vehicle.

Game Over.

Post #10402223rd Nov 2006 1:02 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #10403623rd Nov 2006 1:36 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Spot on

Post #10404023rd Nov 2006 1:42 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just an update here. Today my D3 is at the dealers getting some stuff done (steering knock, and sunroof leak, etc).

Anyway, today I got a D3 loaner, and I was very interested to see how it felt compared to mine to drive. It is a base model, but has terrain response/air suspension, and has 19" wheels, so should in theory be the same to drive. It is a June 2006 build and has just 5000KM on the clock.

Anyway it does seem smoother than mine, there's no doubt about that. Maybe the steering knock contributes to the feeling that my own D3 doesn't handle rough roads very well, will soon see, but this loaner D3 just glides over any bumps in the road, similar to how I felt mine was before the enhancement.

I'm going to ask them this afternoon is this D3 has had the enhancement done on it yet or not out of interest.

Brendan.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #1062101st Dec 2006 11:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 16 of 18 <123 ... 15 161718>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >