DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Uploading/dowloading waypoints and/or tracks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Uploading/dowloading waypoints and/or tracks

Hi all,

did a search on this with no results coming up, so sorry if it's been discussed somewhere else...

I am just wondering if anyone has had any success or attempted to interface the OEM SatNav with a handheld GPS unit or laptop. I have a large collection of tracks and waypoints from a Garmin unit in NMEA format (universal) which I am keen to upload to the car (or conversely it would be nice to download tracks from the car to satellite maps on the PC...)

The diagnostic connector seems like a good point to start I would think but haven't found any schematics/blueprints yet... Whistle

Thanks!

Post #3686354th Nov 2008 7:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I may be wrong, but I'm not aware of anyone managing this over the past two years I've been on the site. Best of luck in your efforts though, and keep us posted if you manage it Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #3686594th Nov 2008 9:19 am
discoBizz

Had a thought last night and perhaps someone more technical can shed some light:

Given the BT phone connection "downloads" temporarily the phonebook to the Disco's storage, presumably as well as the headset profile there is also some form of hidden(?) OBEX profile to do the transfer. So if I create a text file in the correct format (which is another endeavour on its own), theoretically the system could recognise it as waypoints/tracks....

Should be counting Sheep instead of waypoints me thinks... Laughing

Post #37131310th Nov 2008 10:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Two totally different systems. Bluetooth is stand-alone from satnav I'm afraid Sad
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #37139710th Nov 2008 1:19 pm
discoBizz

NoDo$h wrote:
Two totally different systems. Bluetooth is stand-alone from satnav I'm afraid Sad

Yep, gathered that after posting... Crying or Very sad

So no joy for now... Saw a post from stapldm which was promising (in http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic14152.html) but haven't found any follow ups yet... Though the voice commands list is quite helpful Smile

Everything else failing, I guess one could install a Car PC and make use of the touchscreen for input/output? Anyone done this?

Post #37142610th Nov 2008 1:52 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Wiggs managed it, although there was an issue with striping on the display. I have set up a couple of car pcs, but with stand-alone screens rather than trying to interface with the car screen. I picked up the bits needed to do the job, just haven't got around to it. Bit like the webasto heater timer sat in a drawer in the utility room.... Confused
Post #37143610th Nov 2008 1:59 pm
discoBizz

Laughing know exactly what you mean... (got a shedfull of parts for a sadly neglected lately MX5 waiting to be fitted...)

Let me bounce another thought off you: what if there's a text file on a satnav DVD? Say one makes a backup copy of the OEM disc, adds a file in a (yet to be determined) directory and reboots? Presumably all POIs on the disc (petrol stations, hotels etc) are determined based on coordinates...??? Confused

Post #37144010th Nov 2008 2:05 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

You may just be on the right track, pardon the pun.

Of course you'd need a dual-layer burner. If you were to go down the route of a backup copy of course. Not that I or anyone on this site might condone such a thing Whistle
Post #37145110th Nov 2008 2:37 pm
discoBizz

Quote:
Not that I or anyone on this site might condone such a thing

Clearly not! (and neither would I - just theorising) 8)

I knew this wasn't going to be easy (re: the dual layer burner as I don't have one). Presumably then the disc won't read on a normal reader on my PC...?

Post #37147810th Nov 2008 3:04 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

If you follow this thread you should be ok

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic26624.html
Post #37150010th Nov 2008 3:25 pm
discoBizz

Thanks NoDo$h! Thumbs Up

Getting a DL DVD recorder on my Christmas list, hoping it wll come early Wink

Reading throuhg the other threads it seems the key is to decipher the .kwi files.... Go research go!

Post #37152210th Nov 2008 3:51 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

If you manage to solve the enigma of the .KWI files, you will be a very popular bod on here Bow down
Post #37153510th Nov 2008 4:22 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

And many other forums aswell Laughing
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #37153710th Nov 2008 4:23 pm
discoBizz

Hmmmm..... I sense I may have bit off more than I can chew here... Confused

I have however found this site who have an application claiming:
"KIWI Viewer is a tool for viewing KIWI-format data and its structure in detail. Data can be viewed and checked not only numerically but also visually as images. The map data displayed by this tool can also be output in bitmap format." PM me for the URL as it is a commercial site....

Some guys on the Mitshubishi forums seem to have cracked it as well, though their SatNav runs Windows CE it seems (a ported version of...) - again PM if interested to read their endeavours...

Some clicks later I found this, way over my graying head...: http://www.kiwi-w.org/format_english/format_kihon.html

Like I said, thinking bigger and bigger bites with a not so big jaw... Confused Confused Confused

Mind you, I still haven't even attempted to read the DVD structure (at work for the mo)... I assume there are in fact ".kwi" files somewhere?

Post #37157610th Nov 2008 5:32 pm
discoBizz

BTW Wiggs, what is a USB TPMS? (I sense interface here...) And how do I get one??!!! Wink

Post #37164310th Nov 2008 6:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >