Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

VSR systems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just had an idea, thinking about removing my third row seats , assume I’ll also have to take the seat belts out, ie for the MOT

Has anyone got a picture of the them removed , showing how much room is there after the seats are removed plse

Got a sliding floor and wondered with the seats removed of then fitting a 18mm piece of ply on the floor with all my split charge controllers, fuse boxes etc mounted onto the ply , plenty of access then with the sliding floor

What do u think of that idea , any problems anyone can see plse , assume I’ll have to run something like 25mm cables from the batteries to the controllers , 2 x positives also would I need to run 2 x separate earths plse

Wonder if I’ll be able to run the cables from the boot, down the drivers side sill channel and up and through the bulkhead to come out by the brake servo

Would just be great if there are any piccies plse to see how much room is there height wise

Thks again Bow down

Post #224324024th Jul 2021 5:41 pm
Duc750

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

could do for sure. if you're using a DC2DC you might not need that big a cable 16mm might do it
I'd put the Dc2DC unit as close to the main battery as you can and just run one set of cables back through there if it were me and i think most of the manufacturers want the shortest run to be the power to the charger. it would be happiest i think if you ran a pair back - positive and negative - its possible to ground the battery back at the back but remember what the charger is doing - it uses that ground as a reference point from which to calculate the energy it puts to the battery so its probably best to keep them off the same refence point. I think though technically it should be ok- electricity always flows through the easiest path to make a circuit

there's a cable calculator on 12 planet's site which is pretty good - ideally you want less than 3% loss.

Don't forget there's that pro speed bracket designed for an optima battery on its side in one of the rear compartments thats a neat solution as well - would be a bit Censored with rear aircon though i think
 05 D3 V8 HSE, LR Passion tree bars, wildbear compressor guard, LRP switch panel, ARB rear locker + compressor, Trigger 6 shooter electrical system
12 RRS SDV6 HSE (Hers) - Gone and replaced with an I Pace - I can tell you now EV is not the future yet
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #224328524th Jul 2021 8:43 pm
gstuart

Many thks and very grateful Bow down

Just looked at the sizes of the renogy and the CTEK

Indeed would be perfect and save if I was able to get the unit as close as possible to the main battery

Upper glove box I’ve got an Aux fuse box that’s for my ancillary dashboard panel/ dashcam etc

Another place I thought of taking out the passenger seat , fitting it underneath then putting the seat back , could build or buy a box in order that nothing will earth out on it, along with a computer type fan to keep it cool and some way of fitting a thermostat so it comes on and off as required

Talking of batteries I’m also looking into a combined crank/ leisure battery that has 4 x battery posts , in freeing up the Aux battery box for all the controllers etc

Just been trying to find out as much as I can , plus of course the fantastic help as well which is invaluable and extremely grateful

do really like the idea of the Odessy battery on its side , don’t have rear AC

Suppose at the end of the day it’s weighing up all my options, if I have the Aux battery in that side boot locker , the controller, etc will go in the engine bay in the Aux battery area , also wires from the solar to the controller if it’s in the engine bay

Thanks I’ll check the cable chart out

Apologises as per usual I’m waffling , thanks so much once again

Click image to enlarge

Post #224329925th Jul 2021 12:17 am
gstuart

Better pic showing the dimensions of the Renogy and the Ctek , alas though the renogy is nearly the size of an iPad

Don’t know if I could make some kind of bracket and fit it on top of the Aux battery , or I’ll double check the height and width of my existing Aux battery as maybe a yellow top is narrower , if so module might fit sideways ??

I really hope I’m not boring then hell out of everyone Laughing

Edit

Existing Aux battery ENDUROLINE

Length 242 mm - Width-175 mm- Height 190 mm

Looks like the oydessy batteries are taller , so cover might not fit , nothing like building a new fibreglass one then Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Post #224330625th Jul 2021 2:02 am
Kelvo

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Duc750 wrote:

I'd put the Dc2DC unit as close to the main battery as you can and just run one set of cables back through there if it were me and i think most of the manufacturers want the shortest run to be the power to the charger.

You should do the complete opposite to that. The DC-DC charger should be mounted as close as possible to the battery that you want to charge.
 MY14 TDV6  
Post #224339325th Jul 2021 3:32 pm
Duc750

Kelvo,
You may want to tell Sterling to update their installation instructions then and Ctek to provide clearer guidance on theirs as all their ideal circuit diagrams show a shorter run from the start battery to the unit than from the aux battery to the unit.
Maybe even tell Sterling to shorten their pre installed leads to the "target battery" and lengthen them to the "source battery" on the pre wired models
Whilst circuit diagrams are not to scale at every opportunity to draw the circuit diagram with the unit closer to the start battery not the other way round.

Victron don't seem to care to be fair
 05 D3 V8 HSE, LR Passion tree bars, wildbear compressor guard, LRP switch panel, ARB rear locker + compressor, Trigger 6 shooter electrical system
12 RRS SDV6 HSE (Hers) - Gone and replaced with an I Pace - I can tell you now EV is not the future yet
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #224358126th Jul 2021 4:20 pm
Kelvo

Dun750 give me the details of the Stirling DC-DC and a contact email and I will send them an email.

CTEK “Install the service battery as close as possible to the charger, preferably not further away than 2m, which is the length of temperature sensor cable.” https://www.ctek.com/storage/99753A0142849...D250SE.pdf

Kickass “It is most important to mount your KickAss Charger as close as possible to your auxiliary battery and be sure to keep your charger away from sources of heat.” https://www.australiandirect.com.au/assets...MANUAL.pdf

Renogy “When selecting a location for the DC-DC, make sure that the unit is as close as possible to the battery you will be charging (auxiliary battery).” https://au.renogy.com/content/manual/RNG-D...Manual.pdf

RedArc “For the best charging performance the BCDC should be installed as close as possible to the auxiliary battery/batteries as possible.” https://www.redarc.com.au/Content/Images/u...20BCDC.pdf

Homebrand special See pictures on page 5 https://www.autoelec.com.au/assets/brochures/DCDC20S.pdf
 MY14 TDV6  
Post #224385928th Jul 2021 10:35 am
Duc750

Interesting

Here's the sterling instructions link - I'm sure they're eagerly awaiting the enlightenment you can deliver

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0658/734...v4.pdf?478

They invalidate the warranty if you shorten the cables they supply on that unit.

Also interesting how Ctek bound their installation guide by the length of the cable on the temperature sensor probe
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #224389028th Jul 2021 1:50 pm
Kelvo

Dun750 IMO that Stirling Power charger is a waste of time in a vehicle, based on their reply to me. Interestingly they didn’t answer my actual question about why they say it should be fitted close to the starter battery.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 MY14 TDV6  
Post #224401229th Jul 2021 5:39 am
Register

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Like a foreign language to me, but I did understand the request for photos with the rear seats out.

Not the best, but there's a surprising amount of space in there and a lot of weight removed.

Left the seat belts in, hopefully not an issue

Pete
 Everything's a hammer.  
Post #22992359th Jul 2022 11:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >