Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Central locking green wire splice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
Prette

Location: Previously Stoke-ST4 (pre-pandemic), Mostly The Hague (NL) partially Lyngby (DK) certainly somewhere

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 3
An unusual issue

Let me try to explain briefly. A few years ago I had the usual sunroof leak (on the right side), which I fixed promptly.
Some time after that I started having issues with the rear-door right lock. It started not unlocking (but locked correctly)… then… it started not locking either. Now, the rear right door lock is “dead”. It only works manually.
In between the issue with the rear door, the front right door started also to have some issues. It started not locking (super-lock). Then started not locking with the locking button. Now, it opens normally with remote or console button, BUT…. It closes “weakly” - by weakly i mean, when pressing the locking button, the locking lever moves slightly (but does not lock the door), when pressing the button again the door locks properly (and it is also possible to see the lever moving to the end lock position.

Now my question: I am suspecting the splice issue. For over 2 days I was trying to remove the Censored plastic cover. Once removed, I scavenge for that green splice. It does not exist in my vehicle. However, I did find 2 other splices. One is with 4 red/black wires - 2 each side (see picture) and the other is with 3 red wires 2 to the front and on to back.

4-wires splice

Click image to enlarge
3-wires splice

I suspect the splice with 4 wires is likely SJ13. I cannot find in the wiring diagram what could be the one with 3 red wires.

Because superlock is not working in either right doors, I imagine the issue being SJ670 or SJ12 (does anyone knows is this splice?)

Also, could it be that in my case the “green” splice is in fact red?
In my vehicle there is also a tube protection near B-pillar I also removed it to check for the green splice - nothing.
Click image to enlarge

I will “replace” both splices anyway - when the weather gets a bit warmer here Rolling Eyes . 10-15°C is not totally pleasant - and the repair is not really urgent Whistle Embarassed .

What are your thoughts? And… sorry for reviving this amazing topic. Rolling with laughter

Post #233647414th May 2023 4:41 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

The motors themselves are known to fail.
When you see one moving weakly. Or you have to press the button twice. I would say it’s a motor fault.

Black/red splice is locking I think.
Red splice could be switch illumination for night time

Post #233648414th May 2023 5:16 pm
Prette

Location: Previously Stoke-ST4 (pre-pandemic), Mostly The Hague (NL) partially Lyngby (DK) certainly somewhere

Thanks for the reply Pete.

I thought that the weak motor could be a sign of bad splice (since low voltage/current would have being delivered to the motors)

Do the 2 motors from each lock fail usually at the same time? (Which would fail first?)

Is too coincidence that superlock stopped working in both doors (front and rear) somehow at the same time?

And… where is the green splice? Is it possible I don’t have it?

Post #233648714th May 2023 5:32 pm
Pete K

Yeah. You are right to check out the black/red splice first.

The green wire splice powers the remote key receiver. So if the lock and unlock buttons don’t work on the key. Then ppl are advised to check the green wire splice.

Post #233649814th May 2023 6:21 pm
Prette

Hi Pete,

According to the wiring diagram there is a green splice connecting the common wiring (superlock and lock motors) to zhe relay. That's the one i was searching for.however, i did a quick test now it appears that my rear right door does superlock (but does not lock)
And my front right door locks weakly (but does not superlock)

When i get back home i will further check the possibilities.

Post #233650014th May 2023 6:30 pm
Prette

Sooo… I did some further tests on the matter. Here are the results. (Front Left Door = driver LHD)

On closing:
one click on the remote.
FLD = superlock
FRD = partially lock (weak movement of the lever) door still unlocked
RLD = superlock
RRD = superlock if manually locked (unlocked if not manually locked)

Two clicks on the remote
FLD = normal lock
FRD = normal lock (twice weak movement = one normal movement)
RLD = normal lock
RRD = normal lock

On opening:
one click
FLD = unlocked
FRD = normal lock
RLD = normal lock
RRD = normal lock

Two clicks
FLD = unlocked
FRD = unlocked
RLD = unlocked
RRD = normal lock

There is no superlock on the FRD.

Any thoughts?
Is there an easy way to test the locking motors individually? Door by door?

Post #233650714th May 2023 7:24 pm
Naki Blake

New Zealand 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Prette

I recently had both my key fobs not locking/unlocking the doors.

I successfully found the green wire splice and re-soldered it.
My sill and footwell carpet was very damp, it took me about a week to dry it using a small home dehumidifier running constantly in side the car with the doors closed..

You say you can't find the green wire splice? From my understanding it is in the passenger sill. So on my car, being a right hand drive, it was in the left hand side sill. So on a left hand drive car it should be in the right hand sill (front passenger sill).

I agree the plastic cover is hard to remove. It's even harder to replace as it covers both the front and rear door sills. I cut mine in half to make it easier to put back in. It was difficult to get around the B pillar.

I hope this helps you.
Blake

Post #233654415th May 2023 4:49 am
Pete K

For your FRD (twice weak movement = one normal movement), was the same symptom I had, and replacing the motor fixed it. (summer/winter temperature also had an effect) (and removing the door card/handle was enough to make it work)

The other one could possible be an issue with one of the 3 wires or the splice.

No there isn't really a sensible way of testing them.
This should really be in another thread.

Post #233662415th May 2023 5:46 pm
Prette

Thanks Pete, I will look into your points (and discover how hard is to replace the motors).

About moving this another thread, I thought that the issue was related. Apparently not. I have no idea how to do this move, I can only think some admin could do that.

Post #233663015th May 2023 6:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >