Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Fuel Burning Heater (FBH) not starting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>
JoeHale87

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
My findings and my fix....

Ok so having read several threads on this subject this is what I found and what fixed my issue.

Issue was error code B1D29 Which means 'No start even after restart attempt'.

This then turns to lock out after a few times of no starts.

I have a OBD2 reader and clearer so cleared the codes and started the car up. I ran the live data from the FBH for the Water pump, Fuel pump and Combustion air fan. The fan and water pump would fire up then after around 30 seconds the fuel pump would run.... the unit would smoke for a few seconds and then the unit would turn off the fuel pump and close down.... Then the above mentioned error message would be logged.

Having read that one guy had plugged an air compressor to the units air input and blasted his back in to life I thought i may give this a go... I first give a blast when the car was turned off to loosen any coke / soot that may be present. I then fired up the car, waited for the fuel pump to kick in and the smoke to appear. I then gave the FBH a good pump full of compressed air and smoke simply poured form the unit.... The fuel pump stayed on this time and the unit did NOT shut down.... I gave the unit a few more blasts until it ran smoke free. I now have a fully working unit.

I will be running some injector cleaner through the tank to help remove any remaining build up in the chamber but for now.... All is well in the FBH world....

I am based in Lymington, Hampshire. If anyone needs me to plug their car to my reader / code clearing unit and maybe give a go with the compressor..... hit me a message and I will be happy to give it a go.

Hope this helps a few people and sums up what is spread over about 30 pages on here!!

And to clarify.... If you cabin heater is on the FBH will fire even with ECON on. Providing the dash display says 5* or under and the coolant temp is under 70*.

Images bellow show the before and after on the reader.

Post #143199523rd Feb 2015 10:05 pm
Sheikmabooty

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Joe,

Really interesting. How long had your FBH been unserviceable for?
I have been considering the i930 but not convinced I would exploit all its services; that said, if Martins loom and Webasto software won't help I may try to get my hands on one.
What sort of air compressor were you using- do you have access to a garage compressor?
 '89 Defender 110 (now at the drive-thru in the sky)
'07 D3 HSE 

Post #143203223rd Feb 2015 10:33 pm
JoeHale87

I have a small air compressor at home for inflating tyres and spray painting. Will take a pic tomorrow to show you. It has a max PSI of 110PSI output.

The i930 is a great bit of kit for the price.... You can read all the code not he car and read all the live data also. The loom is of course only for the FBH so one use only.

Mine had not been working properly since I got the car 9 months back... Now been working fine for a couple of weeks.... Guessing it should keep working now.... Fingers crossed with some injector cleaner it will anyway!

Post #143204923rd Feb 2015 10:44 pm
Sheikmabooty

Pic would be useful- did you literally just poke it in the open end of the air input?
'07 D3 HSE 

Post #143207123rd Feb 2015 11:04 pm
JoeHale87

Will get a pic up tomorrow and a pic of how I did it or a video!

But yes take the black end off and poke the hose down the air intake...

Will get you a video / images tomorrow

Post #143207523rd Feb 2015 11:08 pm
discostick

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Original thread is here for people interested in giving their FBH a blow job

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic105563.html

Glad to see its working on other heaters !!

James
 New Engine - Fitted with body on...

Developer of the FBH Smart Control Module - Keyfob 3rd button control + USB Diagnostics + remote status LED + priming + battery protection + water temp control setpoint (or fixed run time)

Group Buy: www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post1405044.html#1405044
Downloads: www.dropbox.com/sh/swqlepn6jdb7g5l/AAD5avF_KIexlhlQf4--kysZa?dl=0
FBH not Starting?: www.disco3.co.uk/forum/fixed-webasto-fbh-105563.html
E: d3discostick@gmail.com 

Post #143212524th Feb 2015 12:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sheikmabooty

Ummm... You know that replaced fuse that I didn't think worked....
Well... After a short 3 min trip to drop the youngest at nursery, noticed smokey front left exhaust emission. Forgetting all the tinkering Id been up to feared a radiator blow out.
Feeling of utter elation when I peered under and saw the FBH exhaust pumping out. Kept running until point at which I had to shutdown and drop boy. Return journey it started again and within a short 2 mie trip temperature had already registered (plus 2 degrees OAT).

Will still be interesting to see what's occurring when my loom/OBD arrives but to know the damn thing isn't a lost cause is nice to know....

Now for one of BAS's gizmos (unless Discostick does manage to make another batch that I'm quick enough to dibs!) Thumbs Up Smile
'07 D3 HSE 

Post #143222624th Feb 2015 10:23 am
darrendju

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

NJSS wrote:
Thanks for all the above responses.

AirCon switched on yesterday morning and FBH started like a dream.

Now to either fit a timer, or 'phone controlled remote switching.

Nigel

So what did you do to get it working again I need help Big Cry

Post #175057218th Dec 2016 1:10 pm
hutch1nson

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi
My discovery 3 fuel burn heater won't start. I have tried the remove fuse reset, changed fuse, done a hard reset and took the FBH apart to clean following some instructions on here. Mine has a blanked off connector on top which I haven't seen on images of others, does anyone know what this is? Could it be some aftermarket controller and the thermostat is disconnected? See below, any help gratefully received.

Post #176726022nd Jan 2017 4:23 pm
hutch1nson

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi
My discovery 3 fuel burn heater won't start. I have tried the remove fuse reset, changed fuse, done a hard reset and took the FBH apart to clean following some instructions on here. Mine has a blanked off connector on top which I haven't seen on images of others, does anyone know what this is? Could it be some aftermarket controller and the thermostat is disconnected? See below, any help gratefully received.

Post #176726222nd Jan 2017 4:24 pm
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

My FBH worked perfectly last winter but will not fire up either using app or via in car system even today with minus 2 degrees. I have added some reddex to fuel to see if it may clear any deposits blocking operation any other tips? (Also tried fuse reset)

Post #22604395th Nov 2021 10:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

after a summer period, it is mostly, dust and spiderweb's in the exhaust (or deeper...)

reddex, does not help, it is not an injector inside

try some dry air from a compressor in the exhaust... then pull the fuse and retry after putting the fuse back..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #22605025th Nov 2021 3:21 pm
Gazellio

Thanks Thumbs Up

I put Redex in mine every now and then seems a good idea but my wife's (the car in question) has not benefited injector wise before so all good Smile

Post #22605095th Nov 2021 4:10 pm
Gazellio

Motolab wrote:
after a summer period, it is mostly, dust and spiderweb's in the exhaust (or deeper...)

Reddex, does not help, it is not an injector inside

try some dry air from a compressor in the exhaust... then pull the fuse and retry after putting the fuse back..

Will try but would be amazed in a few cobwebs on the exhaust side would stop it from starting as the exhaust cannot effect it until after start surely?

Post #22605115th Nov 2021 4:12 pm
Gazellio

OK used my compressor to blow out the exhaust but will have to wait until both the air temp and engine are cold to see if it works I guess Smile.

Thanks again.

Post #22605135th Nov 2021 4:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >