Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Fuel Burning Heater (FBH) not starting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I have the evidence I was the first person to get the timer on the Freelander 1 with the BMW 2.0 engine and I had Webasto there to help the dealer who had never done one before. The sole reason it was fitted was for cabin heat. It was also then offered as a cost option on the Disco 2 as well for comfort.

That's why they are called supplementary heaters, as they supplement the engine heat until it takes over.

EDIT: By the way they are fitted to loads of other cars as well, BWW, Jag, Fiats, Peugeot etc.

Last edited by countrywide on 12th Dec 2009 9:50 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #56421112th Dec 2009 9:47 pm
London Lad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yes cool but are we not talking about the standard FBH fitted to the LR D3 ?
You should never argue with idiots because they will just drag you down to their level....then beat you with experience ! 

Post #56421512th Dec 2009 9:50 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Yes we are, it was the same in the Freelander (not Can bus controlled though) and the same model is used in other cars.

A modern diesel doesn't need the coolant temperatures to reach the level to heat the interior in order to reach efficiency.

Post #56421712th Dec 2009 9:53 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

"The FFBH system supplements vehicle heater performance while the engine is running, and is transparent to the driver."

Confused

http://conno.org/disco3/d3ffbh.pdf
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #56422012th Dec 2009 9:53 pm
London Lad

From page 127 of the D3 2008.5 MY user manual:

When the engine is started in cold weather, the
auxiliary heater is automatically switched on to
provide extra heat to help warm up the engine.
If this occurs, exhaust fumes from the heater
may be seen coming from under the bonnet.

Call it a draw ?
You should never argue with idiots because they will just drag you down to their level....then beat you with experience ! 

Post #56423312th Dec 2009 10:24 pm
countrywide

Yes, to warm up the cabin. What is the purpose of heating the engine quickly, it doesn't need to be that hot to run efficient. That's the whole point, diesels aren't like petrol.

I would suggest you e-mail Land Rover and Webasto and they will confirm why it is there Wink .

Post #56423712th Dec 2009 10:30 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Only one way to settle this...

Wink Thumbs Up
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #56423912th Dec 2009 10:33 pm
countrywide

Or look at the press release on the Webasto site, which states why it is fiited and mentions the Disco, RR and Freelander as having it OEM fitted for cabin heat

http://www.webasto.com/press/en/3023_4996.html

Post #56424312th Dec 2009 10:37 pm
London Lad

The reason the D3 needs a FBH is that the engine would take ages to get to full running temp in cold weather without it.

Cabin heaters (which I guess are what you are referring to) heat the water and circulate it round the heater matrix, NOT the engine block, they normally run the cabin heater fans as well and are activated by timers or remote control. The D3 system does none of this.

Even with the GSM mod, popular here, the FBH still only heats the water in the engine coolant jacket.

I only popped in for a quick look round, not for a ruck Smile

I'm off

Post #56424712th Dec 2009 10:39 pm
London Lad

countrywide wrote:
Or look at the press release on the Webasto site, which states why it is fiited and mentions the Disco, RR and Freelander as having it OEM fitted for cabin heat

As your link says, two different things Aux heaters and parking heaters. The parking heater has never been implemented on the D3 although I do believe the settings for it did show in the very first software version

Post #56425312th Dec 2009 10:44 pm
countrywide

The effficient working temperature of a modern diesel is well below the temperature required to heat the cabin, so why would a D3 have a FBH to heat the engine quicker unless it was for the cabin. You would be burning fuel in the FBH for no reason as it would not improve efficiency.

All cars cabin heaters go through the engine block as it is a simplest way to do it in a car. It's only designed for max 60 minutes (although the clock is set for 30 as standard), so they are not cabin heaters as you think, Cabin heaters for stationary use, use hot air and don't go through the heater matrix as it would be a waste of energy.

I would read the Webasto press release as it will answer all your questions about the modern diesel engine and the requirements for auxilary or supplmentary heaters

I am not having a ruck, but I have used these on several cars inc my BMW 525D and have spoken to the Webasto rep several times.

Post #56425812th Dec 2009 10:49 pm
countrywide

London Lad wrote:
countrywide wrote:

As your link says, two different things Aux heaters and parking heaters. The parking heater has never been implemented on the D3 although I do believe the settings for it did show in the very first software version

They are the same thing, in auxilary heating mode it supplements the engine heat, in parking mode it doesn't have the engine, but it is all for the cabin heating.

You seem to be confused over the two functions of the same unit.

Post #56426312th Dec 2009 10:54 pm
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

countrywide wrote:
I have the evidence........The sole reason it was fitted was for cabin heat.

(Don't dispute your experience in this matter but) In which case, why on the D3 does it (un-modded i.e. without a timer/remote/gsm) only fire up when the outside temperature is around 5C or less and the engine temperature is also less than whatever? Surely the car occupants are still looking for cabin heat quickly when the outside temperature is 6C and quite a range above?
 Clubs Mantec, Tasmods, LEDS, AT2s on 18s, Maxxis Bighorns on 17s, Remote FBH, BAS. ReMap, BSS., RLD Personalised SWP., Safari Snorkel, Faultmate, Three Musketeers & MUD

Post #56432413th Dec 2009 12:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
countrywide

Fuel economy apparently, it's not environmental to be running a seperate diesel heater, which uses fuel unless it is cold enough to warrant it. i.e for frost etc

Post #56437313th Dec 2009 10:23 am
Spooky

United Kingdom 

Hmmm ... just wondering ... is there any way to adjust his minimum temperature to, say, 10 degress ... Whistle
 Regards,
Mick

- 2014 SDV8 Autobiography
- 'Vincent' - 2010 TdV8 Vogue SE
- 'Molly' - 2005 HSE Auto
'Dixie'
- 2000 D2 Td5 ES

Post #56437913th Dec 2009 10:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >