Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

What is a Rock \ tree slider ..or both ??
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 11 of 13 <123 ... 10 111213>
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

ad15 wrote:
well, dom, if you looked at the start of the thread i DONT KNOW THE DIFERENCE!!! that's why i asked the question..

what followed was a very good / informative/ heated but essentially light hearted discussion about the diference between tree/rock sliders.

RIGHT upto the point where you stepped in... Confused

Agree AD, Its been a great thread with suppliers and the members enjoying an informed conversation in an adult manner. No need to lower the tone Thumbs Up
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #5449293rd Nov 2009 10:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Quote:
'm not gonna get you to read the last 11 pages

although maybe if snowy and dom did, they might get the gist of the conversation, the comments this am are WAY out of left field compared to the rest of the thread... Confused
 one wife.......livid  
Post #5449303rd Nov 2009 10:31 am
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

No Neal welded to in several places all copy right reserved Whistle

Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #5449313rd Nov 2009 10:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ad15

is that slider resting on two halfs of your next project ray? Very Happy
 one wife.......livid  
Post #5449333rd Nov 2009 10:34 am
NeilD

BUT RAY!.....

The 'Bar' is still mounted to a section that covers the Sill. Therefore its a..............................Rock Slider - not a 'pure' Tree Sldier Mr. Green Thumbs Up

(copyright reserve on our bits too - but really no need to mention this as design rules state the fixing of the product can not be protected, only the overall appearance)

Post #5449363rd Nov 2009 10:37 am
RLD
Uncle Ray 

if thats what you think Whistle show us what you would deem a tree slider
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #5449413rd Nov 2009 10:43 am
Snowy

England 

ad15 wrote:
although maybe if snowy and dom did, they might get the gist of the conversation, the comments this am are WAY out of left field compared to the rest of the thread... Confused

FYI ad15, I have read the thread, you will see an emoticon at the end of my first post, but perhaps if the cap fits.....

My second post on this thread is how I understand the difference between the D3/4 tree sliders and rock sliders after reading through.
Rocksliders protect the sills from below as you slide over rocks.
Tree sliders provide this beneift but also provide protection to the sills from the side against tree roots, tree stumps. They also protect the bodywork from small trees and sapplings by pushing out of the way. Tree sliders can also be found along the middle of a vehicle and at the top, but these are not in production for the D3/4. They can be used to pivot around obstacles.
If my findings are correct, that took me one post instead of 20+ of the same questions over and over again.
 The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us yet.  
Post #5449423rd Nov 2009 10:45 am
NeilD

Good post Snowy, Yeah, sorry about the 11 odd pages but we were on a roll last night Bow down Rolling with laughter

So there we go, that's my point summed up in the post above - everybody has a different view/terminology of what it means........

Post #5449433rd Nov 2009 10:48 am
RLD
Uncle Ray 

Laughing 8) i just love this thread Thumbs Up

Post #5449443rd Nov 2009 10:50 am
ad15

snowy, re point 1. fair enough apologies.. Very Happy

re point 2. if it was that clear cut then it wouldn't have taken the best part of ten pages to get a clear (ISH) answer,

it wasn't just a 2 person thread either, there were lots of people taking part mods and all,

it took a good 6 or 7 pages to get to the point where it was agreed that the bar is for trees and the sill protection is for rocks,

FWIW i had no idea either way when i asked the question, I'd seen both tree and rock sliders mentioned in threads and pics but to my UNTRAINED eye i couldn't tell the difference either way.

i still think there is some ambiguity on the subject as i do think a rock slider is just that where as a tree slider COULD incoporate both a bar for trees AND sill protection for rocks, ISTR that if you are going to remove the OE sill protection to fit treesliders you might as well cater for rocks too.. Thumbs Up
 one wife.......livid  
Post #5449463rd Nov 2009 10:52 am
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

ad15 wrote:
well, dom, if you looked at the start of the thread
...actually I have read it through from the beginning and my statement stands Laughing 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #5449493rd Nov 2009 10:58 am
RPG

United Kingdom 

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

I can have a tree slider on the door, on the bonnet, on the roof....but there wouldn't be much point in putting a rock slider there - I don't plan on doing to much driving around rocks on my roof. Roll cage might better suit that! Rock sliders are best going where the rocks (generally) are - underneath.

Big bars that stick out the side that push you away from rocks (and trees) might be rock sliders...might be tree sliders. It depends on what they were made for and why you bought them. Generally in the UK we call rock sliders things with big plates to slide over rocks and tree sliders bar-type things that push you away from trees. (get the technical lingo, there!) Tree sliders can also push you away from rocks. Rolling Eyes

I'm sorry about that, but it's true. I didn't invent trees or rocks but had I done so I would have tried to remove this ambiguity...perhaps by having trees start growing 2 feet off the ground?

Figuring out whether a sill protector with a bar is a rock slider or a tree slider is like trying to figure out whether cyan is blue or green! Whistle

ad15 wrote:
it took a good 6 or 7 pages to get to the point where it was agreed that the bar is for trees and the sill protection is for rocks

Censored Did it? We were being quick last night, then Thumbs Up

Post #5449503rd Nov 2009 10:59 am
RLD
Uncle Ray 

did not have any cut trees so will this do

Post #5449603rd Nov 2009 11:20 am
RPG

United Kingdom 

Rolling with laughter Bow down

Oh Ray! You've got it all wrong Sad

And to think...a man of your stature and experience....

You are supposed to drive the vehicle around the tree not the tree around the vehicle Rolling Eyes

You've made a car slider Exclamation

(no matter - I think Countrywide might want some! Wink )

Post #5449653rd Nov 2009 11:27 am
RLD
Uncle Ray 

no i was going to call them stump pushers Whistle

Post #5449663rd Nov 2009 11:29 am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 11 of 13 <123 ... 10 111213>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >