Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Am I missing something here?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 
Am I missing something here?

The Cambridge Union (https://cus.org/) is going to start blacklisting people it doesn't like.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-59214397

An art critic did an impression of Hitler. Why? Because the debate was whether there is such a thing as good taste. By doing his impression, he argued, he did something in bad taste. And if there is bad taste then there must, naturally, be good taste too. So a clever approach to the debate.

This apparently upset some people and the response is to blacklist the chap.

OK, so why is this an issue? Well, the Cambridge Union claims it has been defending free speech since 1815. Is black listing speakers who say things you don't like how you defend free speech? Doesn't seem like it to me but then maybe I'm missing something.

The letter from the Union's President:
https://scontent.fltn3-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t...e=618F63D6
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #22611619th Nov 2021 5:45 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

That’s you blacklisted for using the term blacklisted! Whistle Whistle

Post #22611629th Nov 2021 5:52 pm
Ivan

United Kingdom 

You are only allowed to have free speech as long as you only say things we agree with.
 2013 RR Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Luxury SD4 

Post #226123810th Nov 2021 7:48 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

My guess is that someone that didn't understand the speaker's point complained afterwards. The student president then issued his edict as a defence against attacks on him in order to avoid being thrown out of his position.

It seems to me that the episode just shows that Cambridge undergraduates / graduates aren't what they were. What they are now is a bunch of thin skinned types that are incapable of thinking deeply about things.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #226124010th Nov 2021 7:53 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

and lets be honest.... is blacklisted the correct term to use ? does it have links to slavery or racism ?

maybe i should object to the term whiteboard (formally known as the chalk board, which in turn was formally known as the blackboard)

should i whitewash my brickwork on my house, or should i paint it a pale colour?

oh my god im so confused i dont even know if im male or female Big Cry

apologies if this offends anyone, its early, Ive just taken a dose of medicine and im isolating due to testing positive for covid so going a little stir crazy.... Whistle
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #226124110th Nov 2021 7:57 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Well it confirms your ignorance Whistle
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #226124410th Nov 2021 8:52 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

RogB wrote:
and lets be honest.... is blacklisted the correct term to use ? does it have links to slavery or racism ?

maybe i should object to the term whiteboard (formally known as the chalk board, which in turn was formally known as the blackboard)

should i whitewash my brickwork on my house, or should i paint it a pale colour?

oh my god im so confused i dont even know if im male or female Big Cry

apologies if this offends anyone, its early, Ive just taken a dose of medicine and im isolating due to testing positive for covid so going a little stir crazy.... Whistle

I'm only offended by the atrocious conditions in which you keep your apostrophes. The poor things have died. I shall consider reporting you to the RSPCA. And as for your capital letters - they're extinct! Whistle
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #226125510th Nov 2021 9:31 am
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
Re: Am I missing something here?

RRSTDV8 wrote:
The Cambridge Union (https://cus.org/) is going to start blacklisting people it doesn't like.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-59214397

An art critic did an impression of Hitler. Why? Because the debate was whether there is such a thing as good taste. By doing his impression, he argued, he did something in bad taste. And if there is bad taste then there must, naturally, be good taste too. So a clever approach to the debate.

This apparently upset some people and the response is to blacklist the chap.

OK, so why is this an issue? Well, the Cambridge Union claims it has been defending free speech since 1815. Is black listing speakers who say things you don't like how you defend free speech? Doesn't seem like it to me but then maybe I'm missing something.

The letter from the Union's President:
https://scontent.fltn3-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t...e=618F63D6

I subscribe to the Free Speech Union's newsletter (a very depressing read) and am happy to buy copies of books by academics under fire for their opinions: it means I can make up my own mind; it is indirectly sticking two fingers to the "attackers".

The direction of travel is quite alarming, as is the build-up of speed.

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #226126210th Nov 2021 10:44 am
HWN

RRSTDV8 wrote:
I'm only offended by the atrocious conditions in which you keep your apostrophes. The poor things have died. I shall consider reporting you to the RSPCA. And as for your capital letters - they're extinct! Whistle

Sorry, Wayne, but IMHO your original post should have hyphenated "black-listing". Wink

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #226126310th Nov 2021 10:45 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

DG wrote:
Well it confirms your ignorance Whistle

Not ignorant at all, I really am for equality and freedom of speech across the whole spectrum of every subject but I will not bow down to being bullied by anyone for what I believe in so long as I'm allowed to have a reasoned debate about it. Very Happy

My statement was just an attempt (maybe not a perfect one) to throw some light hearted humour onto a very evocative subject.

As for my grammar and use of apostrophes ......... sorry I only just scraped through my O Level English Language exam and it was a long time ago and my keyboard should have auto corrected my mistakes Whistle Laughing
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #226126610th Nov 2021 10:56 am
HWN

Quote:
As for my grammar and use of apostrophes ......... sorry I only just scraped through my O Level English Language exam and it was a long time ago and my keyboard should have auto corrected my mistakes Whistle Laughing

Grammar and punctuation were seen as optional when I did my O Levels - they "stifled individual creativity", etc.,

Only this week a young chap told me he "hates f***ing dogs". I replied "Well, don't do it, then" and suggested he uses "f***ing hates" if he wants to express his canine phobia.

Bryan Adams is currently "So Happy It Hurts". How masochistic of him; I hope 'it' gets better. "So Happy, It Hurts" might be what he actually means.

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #226126710th Nov 2021 11:05 am
N5Fav

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Let's face it, free speech has been rejected by many universities.
They claim to encourage free speech, but then deny it to groups they don't agree with.
 1994 Defender 300tdi 110 commercial
2007 Disco 2.7 XS Buckingham Blue
1959 Standard 10 Coffe & Cream
1974 Vauxhall Magnum 1800 estate Olivine Starfire Green
1994 Renault 19 Cabrio
1995 Kawasaki GPz 1100 

Post #226130610th Nov 2021 1:26 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

There should be some things that are not acceptable, so perhaps the speaker found that boundary in the Cambridge Union. Possibly time to invoke Karl Popper and the tolerance paradox in justification of that stance.

Click image to enlarge
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #226130710th Nov 2021 1:37 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

HWN wrote:
RRSTDV8 wrote:

Sorry, Wayne, but IMHO your original post should have hyphenated "black-listing". Wink

I think you may be incorrect there Hugh. So far as I can see, blacklist is acceptable and, it seems, the norm. Wink
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #226140510th Nov 2021 8:54 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

John Cleese is making a stand by cancelling his appearance at the Cambridge Union. Which is, I think, a reasonable response.

There is a worry, however, that they'll just end up with "compliant" guest speakers if it carries on. Then it will be no better than people following mutters on intsabooker.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-59237741
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #226140910th Nov 2021 9:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >