Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Raining in, can anyone recognise this source
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Map503

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

If it helps in any way, its currently parked facing up hill.
 Now gone - D3 Zambezi silver. Smoked / limo windows, various LEDs, DVD in headrest screens. Side steps, GG AT's, software and Bluetooth upgrades by Bodsy.  
Post #196868229th Jul 2018 1:01 pm
charlietortoise

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

The wet a pillar is exactly where mine was wet. After I cleaned out the hose I flooded the sunroof frame with a watering can and the water poured into this area. Fair scared me but once I realised that it has bulkheads a bit like the titanic and the water spills over I calmed down: My drain tube was blocked.
 Discovery 4 3.0 HSE 2010 year. I like it a lot. Now with winch 😂  
Post #196868829th Jul 2018 1:44 pm
Map503

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks, ill give that a look at.

Would it be fair to assume that that would sort the C pillar out as well because it is facing up hill and possible making its way to the back as well?
 Now gone - D3 Zambezi silver. Smoked / limo windows, various LEDs, DVD in headrest screens. Side steps, GG AT's, software and Bluetooth upgrades by Bodsy.  
Post #196869529th Jul 2018 2:04 pm
charlietortoise

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
Raining in again

Hi there, I fixed the raining in but it has happened again. I poked the drain tube and it was blocked again.

When I have a really good look inside at the drain end, I can see a lot of what looks like white plastic shards. The first time I thought it was some sort of 'stent' to make sure the tube was kept open. I am not so sure now.

Anyone else looked inside this drain and saw anything like this?
 Discovery 4 3.0 HSE 2010 year. I like it a lot. Now with winch 😂  
Post #19899168th Oct 2018 11:50 am
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have passenger side footwell wet. I have a couple of basic questions, sorry !
Understand I need to get the side vent off to check the hose end isn’t blocked. Do the wing vents just pull off? Any technique or things to watch for?
Also, just in case I need it, I can’t see the top of the drain tube around the sunroof. Where should I be looking? Do I have to remove any part of the sunroof mechanism to see it/check it? I can see pics for the D3 but mine looks different.
2015 (MY16) D4
Many thanks
Gary
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #209522926th Oct 2019 1:28 pm
Gary_P

Manage to find a way of safely removing the vent by pushing down on top clips from the slit above on the wing.
The pipe into the vent seems clear although it appears it only goes in for a very short way before I hit a bend.
Looking into the vent I can see a plastic bag, that appears to have sponge in it (see photo) when I squeeze it water runs out at the bottom. It’s is obviously soddens so I’m thinking water is draining through from the top, although inside the vent looks dry as you can see. Where is the water supposed to go after it drains into the vent hole? It seems to me that this sponge being soaked is either the culprit or a indication that water is taking a different route that it’s not supposed to.
When I look left in the vent hole I can see a similar thing, sponge in a plastic bag. This makes me think the wet sponge is just padding of some kind and a hole in the bag has meant it has soaked up water.
Not heard of anyone else who has mentioned this and I have had the car from new.
Cheers
Gary
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #209524626th Oct 2019 2:35 pm
Gary_P

Now photos (oops)
Wet sponge, in bag looking down into vent hole:

Sponge in bag looking left into vent hole

Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #209524726th Oct 2019 2:37 pm
Gary_P

OK made some progress although not there yet. I've learnt a lot that's for sure.
Located sun roof drain holes at the top poured a little water in and it disappears down the from passenger side hole quickly. I can run a strimmer cord down this a little way. Guessing this is ok but cant see the water coming out anywhere.
Managed with some gentle twisting to get strimmer cord in further at vent end of the drain. I managed to get about a metre and a half in!
With all this information and the fact that the vent area is dry I'm guessing that the drain from the sunroof has become detached from the vent outlet (I seem to remember talk of an elbow that can do this).
It must be running into the sponge in a bag (still can't believe that solution) that LR has stuffed in underneath. I think that if the drain had become detached down the pillar the sponge wouldn't be wet and I'd have a water showing further up the pillar ?
I'm guessing I'll need the wheel arch liner off to check whether the drain has become detached from the outlet at the vent? Does anyone know?
I have a warranty with WD so might get it done on that if it's too much more bother.
One last thing, since I'm going to have another look tomorrow I've taped over the vent hole for now. Is that OK?It's passenger side.
Any advice/help very much appreciated as always
Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #209526626th Oct 2019 3:57 pm
Gary_P

Oh dear just checked wording on my WD warranty and don’t think it’s going to be covered.
Loosened the wheel arch lining at door end enough to pull forward but still can’t get at the back of the hose in the vent space. I can get 2m strummer cord down from the sunroof and up from the side vent but not appearing at the other end so there is a break/ disconnect in the drain somewhere . I’m pouring water in and it’s draining away from sun roof , but can’t work out where.
I guess its A pillar and headline off/down next.
I believe I have to get behind the CJB to check the bottom vent connection so will try that later.
Managed to suck out a lot of water from the sill (the things we do for our cars !). At least that was one positive from today’s efforts (until it rains again).
Any better ideas or I’m missing a step/ somethings obvious/easy, please let me know.
Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #209548727th Oct 2019 2:43 pm
Gary_P

Further progress. I can see the strimmer flex poked through from the wing vent appearing behind the CJB, so there’s definitely a break/disconnect there. At last now I understand the route of the pipe!
Can’t make my mind up about whether to tackle the CJB removal and reconnecting the drain pipe myself or not. Taped up the sunroof with electrical tape in the meantime and parked it in the sunshine with the window open to air it.
Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #209571428th Oct 2019 11:51 am
Mikeyb

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

There is a white plastic stent thingy in the rubber end of the front drains.

The rubber end forms a near right angle bend before it grommits through the bulkhead, the grommet bit can stay in place but inside the rubber can crack on the outside of the bend.

I did my D3 drivers side one in the summer, just replaced the passenger side on my neighbours D4. Removing the CJB was entertaining but not overly difficult. It came out a lot quicker the second time around as the car threw up a lot of faults upon re-assembly. I found a connector block under the leaky drain to be full of water/corrosion (the drain had been leaking for several months).

All back together and working now but carpets still drying out!

Not such a Disco Newbie now!
IID BT 

Post #209576228th Oct 2019 5:26 pm
Gary_P

Thanks for the info Mikeyb. It's noce to hear from someone that has experience of doing it. Did you follow the Youtube video method? Is it the same for the D4?
After reading as many posts as I can on here I'm surprised a 2015 D4 tube would disintegrate. They all seem to refer to D3s or earlier D4s. Thats why I'm wondering if it's just become disconnected. I'm hoping I've caught it relatively quickly but difficult to tell.
Appreciate the encouragement regarding the CJB. I'm concerned about the car after a battery disconnection. After disconnecting the battery are there any issues with getting everything running again (radio code, key recognition etc)? I also always get worried about removing panels /trims etc so any top tips on getting to the CJB and putting it all back would be great.
Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #209586428th Oct 2019 11:19 pm
Mikeyb

This is the Youtube video that helped me.

A cheap amazon trim removal tool set helps.

I followed the usual procedure for putting the car to sleep (search various threads on here) before battery disconnection. At the end of the job it's just a case of reconnect the battery and go.

The glovebox pins were a pig and broke coming out, worth investing in a couple of new ones at the same time you buy your sunroof drain. The CJB is very simple to remove once you have worked out how to disconnect all the wiring plugs. Be gentle, DO NOT force them back in during reassembly, if they are not clicking into place then there is a reason! The CJB itself is held in by two 10mm nuts at the bottom and vertical pegs at the top. Remove nuts , pull bottom edge off studs and drop down in effect. The CJB will not drop down far until you release the two connectors on the back as the loom wires are short to one of these. I removed the two relays on the bottom right side of the CJB to give myself more space to get my hand in to access the rear connectors.

The car was a late 2014 D4 by the way.
IID BT 

Post #209591629th Oct 2019 9:18 am
Gary_P

Thanks for taking time to explain Mikeyb. Really good top tips. Once again much appreciated. Bow down Bow down
Still trying to work out if I’m brave enough. My taping up seems to have worked so in meantime will get a trim removal tool ordered, order some glove box pins and check out the putting to sleep procedure. It’s good to confirm this procedure works on 2014 D4.
Did you just replace the bottom section of the drain from inside the bulkhead to the right angle into the vent? If so anything specific you joined it with?

Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #209592629th Oct 2019 9:53 am
Mikeyb

I knew that I'd forgotten to put something in! My neighbour sourced the parts, so not sure exactly where it came from but cut the elbow off the new pipe, leaving about 10-15cm pipe in situ, joining to the old pipe with something like this. I think it was 10mm but not 100% sure. If doing again, I would try and fit the connector a little higher up the old pipe where it would clear the wiring looms a little better.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nylon-Pneumatic...XzFtkXGDKg
IID BT 

Post #209595829th Oct 2019 11:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >