Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Reset FBH
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Today it was at normal temperature after 5 or 6 minutes. Mine wasn't working the other day, but the reset mentioned above fixed it.

Post #22419614th Nov 2007 10:43 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

+2°C when I nipped out for essential supplies earlier and the FBH worked a treat. Can't hear it over the engine, so very quiet, but it was there alright, chugging away and warming the engine up very quickly ta. Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #22430315th Nov 2007 12:08 am
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
FBH

countrywide wrote:
Well mine is working now, it's 3 degree's and I reset the heater by removing the power connector for 30 seconds + after the car had gone into sleep mode. I also had the climate set to auto and it fired up straight away with a little bit of smoke.

Should be good for the morning as it will be very cold.

Which power connector plug did you pull out? There seems to be 3 lots of wires going in to mine - 2 of these seem to have connector type plugs 1 of which is larger than the other. Also, did you find out what the knack is for easily removing the connector plugs?

Post #22443515th Nov 2007 3:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
StuRox

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I just had a go at lunch time to reset mine, just for good measure, as mine certainly doesn't get warm in 5 mins Rolling Eyes and couldn't get the plug out - even think I have broken my key Shocked so any tips would be appreciated

Post #22443715th Nov 2007 3:37 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I tried the key trick and it didn't work.

The connector is the one on the right if your facing the heater from the passenger wing. I used a small screwdriver to push down the side of the conector and it seemed to suddenly unclick. It is hard to describe, but to get access I had to move the air filter for the FBH, which is just held on with one plastic clip.

I'll try and get some photo's later

Post #22443915th Nov 2007 3:51 pm
philhunt

countrywide wrote:

The connector is the one on the right if your facing the heater from the passenger wing. I used a small screwdriver to push down the side of the conector and it seemed to suddenly unclick. It is hard to describe, but to get access I had to move the air filter for the FBH, which is just held on with one plastic clip.

I'll try and get some photo's later

Photos would be very helpful - if I'm looking at the correct connector, then there doesn't seem to be anything that I would have to move to get to it. My D3 is March 05 TDV6 SE

Post #22444615th Nov 2007 4:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gilmore

England 

My FBH was stone cold after a 8 mile drive in -1degree this morning. I can't believe they're that unreliable, as mine worked ok all last winter. I reckon LR have disabled them in some software patch. Grrrr
regs
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #22447915th Nov 2007 6:27 pm
philhunt

FBH

countrywide wrote:

What's the key trick? Question

Post #22448415th Nov 2007 6:35 pm
philhunt

FBH

I found the following diagnostic info regarding the FBH that was fitted to D2s:

"Diagnostics
The fuel burning heater is capable of storing fault codes which are retrievable through TestBook. TestBook also has the ability to read real time inputs and outputs.

The fuel burning heater ECU will try to ignite the fuel burning heater three times within one operating cycle, (engine running and ambient temperature below 5°C (41°F)). If the heater fails to ignite, a fault is stored and the fuel burning heater will remain dormant until the conditions needed to operate are met again. If the fuel burning heater fails to ignite the fuel on three consecutive trips, (engine running, temperature below 5°C (41°F)) it will not attempt to operate again until the fault codes have been cleared.

The fuel burning heater ECU has a volatile memory. If all power is lost to the fuel burning heater, any fault code stored inside its memory will be lost. On reconnection of power the fuel burning heater will operate as if no previous faults have occurred."

If the FBH on the D3 also doesn't attempt to operate after 3 failed starts until the fault codes are cleared- it seems to make sense to remove the fault codes by removing the power to the heater temporarily then reconnecting as Countrywide did.

Post #22449115th Nov 2007 6:55 pm
countrywide

Problem is that not being used all summer it could have air locks in the fuel supply (even with the dosing pump), so it locks out. It's one of the reasons I am trying to get a group buy for the timers, but Webasto are so slow in responding.

We had the same type of unit in our boat and this happened a lot. On the boat it was quite often the battery voltage as it requires quite a lot of current to get the heater plug hot and start the heater.

I'll take the photo's in the morning on how to remove the connector.

Post #22450715th Nov 2007 8:07 pm
philhunt

FBH Reset

countrywide wrote:

I'll take the photo's in the morning on how to remove the connector.

-1C this morning when I started the motor up and not a peep from the FBH. Nearly froze to death kneeling on the pavement watching the FBH exhaust through the wheel arch to see if there was any sign of life! Attracted strange looks from the neighbours! Having said that, the coolant temperature guage did seem to rise a bit quicker than it has been. If I had been able to stop after 5 minutes or so of starting on my journey, I would have done so and risked touching the FBH exhaust to see if it burnt me!

Looking forward to seeing the photos so that I can have a go at removing the connector at lunchtime Thumbs Up

Post #22476216th Nov 2007 11:33 am
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

What are your fuel levels like? My FBH works fine. However this morning when I started up on the red it didn't run. Filled up, and worked fine tonight...?
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #22499616th Nov 2007 8:54 pm
countrywide

I'll take photo's in the morning as I was out all day today for work, I am not sure but maybe fuse 28 or 29 (can't remember) in the engine bay fuse box does the same thing. I read in another post that it won't fire up if the red fuel light is on.

Last edited by countrywide on 16th Nov 2007 9:11 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #22499916th Nov 2007 8:57 pm
philhunt

John C wrote:
What are your fuel levels like? My FBH works fine. However this morning when I started up on the red it didn't run. Filled up, and worked fine tonight...?

My tank's got about 60 litres in it

Post #22500016th Nov 2007 9:06 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

-3degC this morning & FBH fired up fine!! Thumbs Up

Post #22500216th Nov 2007 9:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >