Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Vibration over 55mph , fingers crossed now resolved
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 16 <123 ... 101112 ... 141516>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

So around midday I dosed myself up with tablets and managed to do a little bit

Getting that air intake pipe was a complete and utter Censored Censored , having to push one end and pulling from the other

In the picture with the 2 x nuts and 1 x bolt, the far left bolt has stripped , has a welded nut on the back , think I may have to drill out the thread and see if I can get a short bolt and nyloc in there , holds an A/C pipe

Got the short turbo intercooler hose on, but looking at the pictures I think I need to undo the bottom clamp , move it slightly away from the turbo shield and push the clamp down a little bit , currently there all tight , didn’t go to mad as was worried of cracking the turbo outlet pipes

Then need to simply fit the scavenger pipe which shouldn’t be to bad to refit

Does anyone know where the front diff breather pipe attaches to the diff please as noticed it’s come off

So all in all I feel a very productive few hours , will have to leave it I think till the weekend as I’m absolutely crucified and my own fault but in agony

Will feel a lot happier once I’ve got the upper and lower cowl back on , hoses, then working on top of the engine

Few piccies

Post #227616531st Jan 2022 3:57 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Has that bolt actually stripped the thread Gary, or is the head rounded? An induction tool on the captive side might get you out of it if the threads are OK.

It's not going to be easy drilling that out.

Yeah just turn town the bottom clamp so that it doesn't foul on the heat shield.

EDIT: Sorry, the diff breather is on the top shoulder of the n/s diff housing, roughly the 10 O'clock position in relation to the inner shaft CV as you look at it from the wheel well. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #227617931st Jan 2022 5:13 pm
gstuart

Hi mate

Many thanks , It’s just the welded back nut that’s stripped , thread is M6

if it’s going to be difficult to drill out , what about using a smaller M4 bolt, washers and a nyloc nut as could then just push the bolt through that welded back nut seeing it’s just supporting an AC hose

That’s Brilliant regarding that bottom clamp , thk u , shouldn’t be too difficult moving that, must admit the clamps arnt super tight , don’t think the turbo would blow the hoses off

Got a new jubilee clip for the scavenger hose

Then got to somehow get the 2 x new nuts on that bracket and another bolt on the side for the air inlet pipe , blimey talk about awkward

Am really pleased the hose is on and clamped , thank u so much about the diff breather , I was worried at first I had accidentally pulled off a wire , doesn’t look in very good condition but have a roll of 10mm plastic pipe that’s used for the suspensions airlines so no hardship running a new line if needs be

Plus might be easier to check it before i refit the bottom rad cowl

Thks so much as always buddy and hope ur good

Post #227619731st Jan 2022 6:31 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Will the old bolt come out? You could try re-tapping the captive nut if that's where the problem is which shouldn't be too difficult.

If that's not a runner for you try an m8 and see if it will go through, then ny-lock it and a washer.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #227620731st Jan 2022 7:18 pm
gstuart

Managed to get the bolt out but was really difficult right to the very end

Awesome ideas as wouldn’t have thought of that and do have a tapping/dye set

Thks so much as always and will of course update u as I progress with this

Post #227621731st Jan 2022 7:45 pm
gstuart

So just a few more bits to be done Laughing

Undo and adjust t bolt clamp on turbo hose
Bolt- nuts for the bracket , options - run a tap through the thread or fit smaller nut and bolt through existing nut hole
Sort out front axle breather
Refit lower and upper rad cowl
Refit fan
Refit TCM module
Refit throttle body Y assembly
Reconnect EGR pipes
Refit top air inlet pipe
Fit lower intercooler silicone hose
Test all the various sensors for the 5Vdc signal feed

Replace all the crumbling engine loom conduit

Post #22767303rd Feb 2022 11:44 am
classic kev

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Oi! Ain't you got that fixed yet Ner Ner

How'd you get on, is it breathing again?

Post #22767983rd Feb 2022 5:24 pm
gstuart

Rolling with laughter

Sadly not I’m afraid, nothing like stretching a job out , lol

Driving me nuts as my back keeps deciding it’s had enough after a couple of hours , don’t mind admitting really struggled big time with that air inlet pipe that goes onto the turbo

Regarding that air inlet pipe, u have to sort of pull one end whilst pushing it up along with pushing the other end so it clears the small bracket one end and suspension chassis bracket the other end , a right Censored to do

Sorry I’m waffling as per usual , Laughing Am hoping to see if I can do a little bit more this weekend , can’t see it being done for at least another few weeks but just trying to do it bit by bit

Post #22767993rd Feb 2022 5:34 pm
classic kev

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Sorry to hear about your back. Back issues can be pure misery, FWIW no car is worth your health. Maybe rest for a couple of days and amble back out to it when you feel stronger. Much as I hate it, that's what I have to do. Sometimes a break helps you to see an answer to a problem.

Anyway, I wish you well and good luck with it. Thumbs Up

Post #22768083rd Feb 2022 5:49 pm
gstuart

Bless u and that’s so kind of u Bow down

Sorry to hear mate ur also suffering and indeed as u say no motor is worth our health

Have been resting up so hopefully I’ll feel stronger by the weekend to carry on, it was that dam pipe that threw a spanner in the works , I’ll be very happy once I can get those nuts / bolts sorted out at that bracket , inner liner back in and new lsilicone intercooler hose

Once that’s done I’ll be able to drop it back on its wheels , that in turn will make life a lot easier working on the ECM and TCM

That’s so very true with regards having a break, even if it’s stopping for a cuppa

Thks so much once again and u also stay safe and well mate Thumbs Up

Ps, have been spending my time as I’m seriously thinking of removing my 3rd row seats , as I’ve got a sliding floor so will be ideal putting bits underneath

Post #22768473rd Feb 2022 9:51 pm
gstuart

So didn’t get much done but at least a very small amount of progress

Bracket , scavenger pipe , plus undone the t bolt bracket , rotated and dropped it down , refitted the axle breather on the diff , thks again Den letting me know where it was in saving me time Thumbs Up

However looking at the picture I think i might need to remove that bottom T bolt clamp and replace it with a jubilee clip , need to make sure it’s 100% , will first turn it over so the bolt is furthest from the turbo casing and go from there , just not happy

Undone the earth points that the ECM uses , ordered some brushes for my dremel so I can clean the terminals and earth post , easier than trying to use some emery cloth

Next step will be to get the lower intercooler hose on, earth wires , then the inner wheel arch liner back in , got all new clips for that as well

At last I’ll then be able to move into the engine bay , starting with the lower rad cowl and securing the air inlet pipe

Post #22772135th Feb 2022 1:30 pm
gstuart

Apologises Forgot to update this , managed to get the lower silicone intercooler hose on , just need to do up the T bolt clamps , many thks

Talk about a long winded job, lol, in the mean time did sort out all my tools in what I needed

Can’t wait to get the disco back on its wheels , might see if I can do that this weekend , plus think it will hopefully take my mind of things going on

Must also secure the axle breather hose, is near the driveshaft , think a cable tie will be ok to use, got all new plastic clips for the plastic wheel arch liner and will be fantastic to get that refitted after cleaning up those earths

Blimey I’m waffling as per usual , thks again for the tremendous help as it’s been invaluable

At the end of the day can’t wait to finally clear that DTC coming up N/A actuator

Post #227840911th Feb 2022 5:00 pm
gstuart

Quick update

Finally got it back on its wheels , replaced the T bolt clamp on the turbo intercooler side with a wide stainless steel jubilee clip

Plus cleaned the earth post and terminals with a dremel, finally putting some coppaslip on the threads

Got the plastic inner wheel arch refitted , went to fit the wheel arch but alas just need to get a few clips that’s at the front of the wheel arch , they look different than the other yellow clips

Really pleased it’s at least now off the axle stand , next step will be the fan cowl , fan, TCM module, Y piece throttle body

Post #228106727th Feb 2022 5:47 pm
Captain Crosscheck

Ukraine 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Good on you Gary! Reckon it'll be good to get the car back on the road, and hopefully all is sorted out Thumbs Up

Post #228113827th Feb 2022 11:15 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

gstuart wrote:

Plus out of curiosity how do u get the gap iid picture to show up in ur signature please, many thks Thumbs Up

Sorry, I missed this Gary. It’s actually so long ago when I did that, I cannot remember how I did it Laughing . Maybe someone who has done this recently can explain it Thumbs Up

Update….. here is an image ( from PatGapInnov gallery), there are some others too, ie. if you have the Pro version….. Try putting it in your signature…..
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #228114027th Feb 2022 11:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 11 of 16 <123 ... 101112 ... 141516>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >