Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Annoying members
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
simonsi

New Zealand 

I'm annoyed.

When I've worked out about what I'll start a new thread.

Maybe.

Maybe not.

I'm annoyed about my indecision now.
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #42546820th Feb 2009 10:33 am
BLACK BETTY

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Do you sleep with your pc tanters Surprised

118 ...........119 ( baby poster )
 Nine-tenths of wisdom is being wise in time.

Also appears 9/10 of stopping is stopping in time

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DiscoReaper&view=videos 

Post #42546920th Feb 2009 10:34 am
catweasel

I think the point of Miss Marple's initial post was a way of saying how some members post a response in a thread without any actual expertise or usefulness and as I read somewhere recently making others wade through the mud to find the gem. there is a lot of useful info on here but I agree that it is getting lost amongst some of the useless crap posted as displayed in this very thread Rolling Eyes

Post #42548820th Feb 2009 10:47 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I think the Wombles aren't really from Wimbledon, but a little known hamlet just outside Oxford.....
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #42549020th Feb 2009 10:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

The essence of this forum (to me anyway) has always been a group of like minded idiots (we all have land rovers) sharing a common passion . I'm not a professional mechanic and am not employed by Land Rover (as I'm sure most of us here aren't)

Having said that there is a wealth of knowledge here , be it anecdotal or from personal experience. If I have to wade through some mud to find it - so be it .

Provision has been made for OT posts (see above Mr. Green ) and if you don't want to see those - set your profile up accordingly . Agreed OT replies happen in other parts of the forum as well , but IMHO they are not excessive

Post #42550120th Feb 2009 11:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

heine wrote:

Provision has been made for OT posts (see above Mr. Green ) and if you don't want to see those - set your profile up accordingly . Agreed OT replies happen in other parts of the forum as well , but IMHO they are not excessive
OT posts happen in ALL parts and unnessecarily so. might have been fine when there was only 500 members but there is a lot more now. I have been here for a while and find it difficult on occassions to find stuff, I pitty the newbie who comes here then asks a question which has been asked before (coz he's having trouble finding the info) and then gets flamed by longer term members and others who just leave because they dont or cant wade through the ever increasing shite on here. my participation is decreasing too because of all this.  
Post #42550520th Feb 2009 11:13 am
heine

We all have choices Thumbs Up

Post #42550620th Feb 2009 11:17 am
catweasel

wrong we dont have the ability to ignore posts from particular members who seem to post in just about every thread wether they have anything useful to say or not.
I also dont visit the off topic section but still have to read off topic stuff Rolling Eyes

Last edited by catweasel on 20th Feb 2009 11:31 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #42551520th Feb 2009 11:30 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

From what i have seen, most members on here are quite happy to point new members in the direction of information by providing links to other threads etc, the only issue is when new members are complete tools and want to rant from day one, they are then understandably encouraged to 'jog on'.

There is strong banter here, but it is mostly not nasty, and i cannot see the problem.

As i said in a previous thread some time ago, think of a forum as a pub, you wouldn't go into a new pub and expect to command the same respect as guys who have been drinking there for years, however you will still get served providing your attitude doesn't result in you being punched or barred.
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #42551620th Feb 2009 11:30 am
heine

Sounds like a great enhancement - can it be done ?

Post #42551820th Feb 2009 11:31 am
catweasel

SJR wrote:

think of a forum as a pub
if I have a computer problem I go to a pc shop not a pub
If I have an issue with my car I go to the mechanic not a pub etc etc etc
if I want to unwind and talk dribble I go to off topic a pub
no point going to a pub if you have trouble finding the bar Wink
and some of those new members are still ranting after day 365. it appears that some dont see an issue as it appears they come here primarily for the comradery and not raw info but not everyone wants to chat for hours
and because the mods do such a sterling job at miantaining the site and splitting out rubbish from good threads. the other issue I have with the off topic section is that quite often legitimate post for help can go unanswered as they can quickly slip down the newposts section because of the amount of off topic stuff.

Heine I dont think so

Last edited by catweasel on 20th Feb 2009 11:44 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #42552220th Feb 2009 11:36 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

catweasel wrote:
wrong we dont have the ability to ignore posts from particular members who seem to post in just about every thread wether they have anything useful to say or not.
I also dont visit the off topic section but still have to read off topic stuff Rolling Eyes

CW

I have been reading some of your previous posts in your history, might i suggest you do the same and then decide whether you consider some of the stuff you have written in this thread to be hypocritical.

And for a section you have not visited, you have managed to post quite a lot Confused

edit: I should also add that you have contributed a lot of useful stuff to the forum so i am not having a go, just wondering if you might be overlooking things Wink
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Last edited by SJR on 20th Feb 2009 11:44 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #42552620th Feb 2009 11:41 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I think some are missing the point.

The section this thread is in is titled:

Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

The 'sign is over the door' so I would assume that one knows what they'll get before entering.

No one HAS to enter, no one HAS to read!

Rolling Eyes
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #42552720th Feb 2009 11:41 am
heine

catweasel wrote:

Find a new pub Twisted Evil

Post #42553220th Feb 2009 11:52 am
catweasel

SJR wrote:
CW

I have been reading some of your previous posts in your history, might i suggest you do the same and then decide whether you consider some of the stuff you have written in this thread to be hypocritical.

totally agree I have been hypocritical but lately my posts have been mainly ( I like a little pub talk too and dont get to meet anyone due to Geographical cicumstances) precise and on topic and hopefully helpful and honest. my post rate has gone down over the last few months in recognition of this.

ronp I think you are missing the point, while being posted in OT it is aboput the entire site. in a thread earlier today one of the participants even asked for it to remain on topic and it did not and was eventually split out which then goes on to confuse people until they catch up Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes and a Thud for good measure Wink

Post #42553320th Feb 2009 11:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >